Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Parts for *Old* Gaggia Coffee?  (Or, paying the wages of sin...)
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Parts for *Old*...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
amb

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Wed Oct 27, 2010, 11:38am
Subject: Parts for *Old* Gaggia Coffee?  (Or, paying the wages of sin...)

My trusty old Gaggia Coffee (the original, with solenoid, front steaming knob, etc.) is in need of a few small bits, and I can't even find an exploded parts diagram out there!

Anyone got a pointer, or otherwise any maintenance resources for these?  I'm assuming at this point that if I wanted, say, a new boiler (which is a different unit than any of the new Gaggias) I'm out of luck, but for instance I'm pretty sure that the new thermostat I need is the same DM1168 that all the other machines use, the boiler gasket is just a high-quality O-ring, the group gasket is generic, etc., and it seems weird that nobody has a page that says "here are the parts that we can still sell you for your old Gaggia Coffee."

Of course, what I'd really like is a whole new body, since the horizontal deck that the boiler sits on is getting fairly badly rotted with rust, but I don't for a second expect to find one.  (Perhaps I'll fabricate one?)

Finally, below is a pic of what you can look forward to if you're insufficiently diligent about descaling.  (Or, possibly, if you just run a Gaggia long enough.)  Links to more pics (externally hosted since there's a one-attachment limit) are above that:

link to pic of boiler
link to pick of pump and the remains of its mount

amb: base.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
amb

Posted Wed Oct 27, 2010, 11:47am
Subject: Re: Parts for *Old* Gaggia Coffee?  (Or, paying the wages of sin...)

One more pic: here's the inside view of (what's left of) the horizontal surface inside of the machine.  This is viewed from the back of the machine, looking down and towards the front.  Yes, the flanges that hold the pump are completely rusted off, and there are several holes all the way through between there and the group.

The funny thing is that the rust was basically invisible until I had it apart, but now that I've seen it I feel compelled to fix it.  Also, aside from needing a good cleaning (and me being an idiot and breaking off the brew thermostat yesterday), the innards work perfectly.  Gaggia has built some fine machines.

amb: inside-deck.jpg
(Click for larger image)
jona2

Posted Wed Oct 27, 2010, 12:55pm

some projekt:) have you tried the gaggia google grup?
it might be wort a try
gime2much

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni, Astoria comm, 2...
Grinder: La Pavoni Zip, Bunn...
Drip: Bunn comm
Roaster: Popcorn popper (air),co/ufo
Posted Wed Oct 27, 2010, 1:11pm

Yep...Yahoo/Groups/Gaggia

Advice, tips, schematics, links to suppliers free to any Gaggia owner that joins.

Dan Brewer
c4h5n2o
c4h5n2o

Espresso: LM
Grinder: Bunn/Vario
Drip: Swiss gold
Roaster: No time
Posted Thu Oct 28, 2010, 1:54am

amb Said:

My trusty old Gaggia Coffee (the original, with solenoid, front steaming knob, etc.) is in need of a few small bits, and I can't even find an exploded parts diagram out there!

Posted October 27, 2010 link

Did you look at the Parts Guru page?
JR
JR

Espresso: New but inop Quickmill...
Grinder: Baratza Forté, Cunill...
Drip: Bona Vita (Thermal)
Roaster: GG/UFO
Posted Thu Oct 28, 2010, 6:36pm

This old machine has parts that are no longer available anywhere, and some parts are available, but only from Electra-Craft.  The best source of info and used parts is the one mentioned above -- Yahoo!Groups/Gaggia.  I'm a member, but I generally sleep through all the chatter until someone mentions the OWC (Old White Coffee).  I have 2.5 of them myself.

Jack

www.PainFreeComputing.com
http://www.GaggiaUsersGroup.com
www.IsuzuPup.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
amb

Posted Thu Oct 28, 2010, 7:58pm

Thanks for the multiple recommendations of the Yahoo group; I'm just filling out the joining page now.  Also for the Electra-Craft pointer, which is the only outfit that appears to have the old blue gaskets on hand.  (They're also a few bucks cheaper than everybody else on the thermostat.)

I did also look at the Parts Guru page.  I've actually spent quite a bit of time looking at the parts lists for the newer machines trying to figure out which ones they share, but that "1970 Coffee Gaggia" schematic is something I never found.  (Their main Gaggia page has a picture of it, but there's no link and it's just tagged "Information only".

Thanks again, one and all!  Looks like I'm going ahead with the sheet metal work as well; I'll add pics of that when done.
AndyPanda
AndyPanda

Espresso: Olympia Cremina, Various...
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Fiorenzato,...
Vac Pot: vintage Corey
Drip: AeroPress
Roaster: BreadMachine/HeatGun
Posted Sat Dec 18, 2010, 9:55am

It's been a few months - so you probably don't still need the info - but I have been working on one of these and can help you with the wiring if you still need it.

I'm very impressed with the steaming compared to the newer Gaggias - the wand doesn't swivel but it is a standard type steam nozzle instead of the froth aid that the newer ones have and the old style boiler really puts out plenty of dry steam.   The pump is noisier than the newer ones though.

There aren't many parts that are interchangable with the newer models.  The drip tray, the backflush tube to driptray, the water reservoir and the top cover with the fill funnel are about it - everything else is different - oh yeah, the new thermostats and thermal fuse will fit and "maybe" the switches.    --  and new portafilter, filter baskets and shower screen will fit.  can't think of anything else.
Roastaman

Espresso: Isomac TEA
Grinder: Mazser Mini
Roaster: HWP/I-Roast
Posted Tue Dec 28, 2010, 4:25pm

Hi amb,

Have you found your parts yet?  I live in Seattle and have dealt with, http://espressorepair.com/ for years.  William is a great guy and does loads of repiars on Gaggia's. He can even sell you good used parts as well.  My Dandy needed a new boiler so I bought a used one in good shape, as well as a new plastic body, pump, AC terminal block, etc.  He can give you any advice you need. I have also sent you an email.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Parts for *Old*...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.394492864609)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+