Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Blurred lines.. Silvano by Quick Mill
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Blurred lines.....  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 17 last page next page
Author Messages
ee61
ee61
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Sep 26, 2010, 9:39pm
Subject: Blurred lines.. Silvano by Quick Mill

For individuals like myself confused and stuck with indecision between a few different machines with a much higher price tag, this new Silvano by Quick Mill could be the judge and jury at only a fraction of the current price of $795 USD @: http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/home/espresso/silvano

I am no expert, but this new machine seems like one heck of a deal with a nice set of features.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Mayhem_SWE
Mayhem_SWE

Espresso: La Marzocco Linea
Grinder: Elektra Nino
Posted Mon Sep 27, 2010, 6:17am
Subject: Re: Blurred lines.. Silvano by Quick Mill

Interesting. Quite similar to the Quick Mill Emelia series developed together with a Swedish retailer about two years ago, available in both a standard version with thermostat and Deluxe with PID (though price difference was so small I can't imagine anyone not going with the latter). From what I can tell the Silvano was upgraded with a larger boiler, a manometer and a handle for pulling out the drip tray, but lost the insulated ball-joint steam wand of the Emilia. Certainly looks to be a good deal if the thermoblock steamer is up for the task.

http://www.kaffemaskinen.se/webshop/?k=2&t=65&p=874
http://www.kaffemaskinen.se/webshop/?k=2&t=65&p=875

Too much is not enough
 View Profile Link to this post
ee61
ee61

Posted Mon Sep 27, 2010, 9:14am

Mayhem_SWE excellent information.  Thank you.
jsaliga
jsaliga

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Compak K10...
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Technivorm, Clever Dripper
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B
Posted Tue Sep 28, 2010, 7:12pm

I was thinking of ordering a Rancilio Silvia and Rocky grinder combo from SCG as a starter setup.  Then I saw the Silvano on the Chris' Coffee Service site and am seriously tempted.  It's more than I really want to spend on a first machine, but I was thinking if I end up buying one then perhaps I will bump the grinder to a Macap M4 or Mazzer Mini.

--Jerome
Drummerboy

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Sep 29, 2010, 3:41pm

jsaliga Said:

I was thinking of ordering a Rancilio Silvia and Rocky grinder combo from SCG as a starter setup.  Then I saw the Silvano on the Chris' Coffee Service site and am seriously tempted.  It's more than I really want to spend on a first machine, but I was thinking if I end up buying one then perhaps I will bump the grinder to a Macap M4 or Mazzer Mini.

--Jerome

Posted September 28, 2010 link

You are in EXACTLY the situation I'm currently in. In fact, I was talking to Scott from CCS a few hours ago about the whole Silvia vs. Silvano thing, and I'm pretty sold on the Silvano at this point. Further, once I got interested in the Silvano, I switched my focus to either the M4 or the Mini as well.

Anyhoo, I'm hoping for more responses on this topic, because the Silvano sounds like a great option based on my research up to this point, but I'm really pretty new to this level of espresso making...

If I might inquire, regarding the Mini, are you thinking the "regular" or the electronic doserless? What is your "plus/minus" for the Macap vs. the Mazzer?

Peace,

DB
jsaliga
jsaliga

Posted Wed Sep 29, 2010, 4:37pm

DB,

I'm shopping mostly by my level of cost aversion and what I have been reading in user reviews.  If I thought I could spend less and get by then I would do it in a heartbeat.  The home espresso gig is new to me too.  I think the investment will be worthwhile and that I will put in the time and effort to learn the craft...but I don't know that for sure.  It's worth about $1,400 to me find to out...but it isn't worth more than that as a jumping in point.

Getting back to the choice of grinder...I thought about the Baratza Vario as a match for the Silvano.  But I just wasn't able to overcome my concerns about build quality.  To me it looks like a $450 hunk of plastic.  I don't care how good it grinds, because at that price I really expect something a little more substantial in terms of build quality.  My logic, therefore, went something like "before plunking down $450 for a piece of plastic I would rather spend another $100 or $150 and get something that has better design and build durability and will meet my needs for accuracy."  So that left me with the M4 and the Mini.  I want a doser, and after reading about all the complaints of the Rocky's doser I feel that a step up is justified, since the Vario is out of the running.

I was planning to call CCS tomorrow to discuss the Silvano.  Then I would like to get an order in for whatever I decide by Friday.

--Jerome
dana_leighton
dana_leighton
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Wed Sep 29, 2010, 6:09pm

jsaliga Said:

I don't care how good it grinds, because at that price I really expect something a little more substantial in terms of build quality.  My logic, therefore, went something like "before plunking down $450 for a piece of plastic I would rather spend another $100 or $150 and get something that has better design and build durability and will meet my needs for accuracy."

Posted September 29, 2010 link

Three things:
a) better design? I would argue that the Vario represents better design, because they were able to get Super Jolly quality grinding packed into a housing smaller than a Mini. Not to mention it is the only grinder in the SJ class that can easily traverse from espresso to French Press and back again.
b) build durability? We do not have enough data on that. I haven't seen reports of people's Varios falling apart. We need more data to say that it has poor durability. But I will say that the Baratza folks stand by their equipment, and if there's a problem, you won't have a problem getting it repaired.
c) piece of plastic? I grant the case is plastic, but it is a very solid feeling piece of equipment. No ill-fitting bendy plastic.

The M4 and Mini are good grinders. They do not produce grind as good for espresso as the Vario. They do not have the near-stepless adjustment of the Vario. They also cannot go between espresso and other brewing methods as simply and painlessly. They are more expensive than the Vario. But if you're really fixated on a steel case, then I guess you'll have to pay more for lesser grind quality. We all have to make choices.

If you're going to spend $1400 for machine and grinder, I'd say get the Vario, and put the $150 toward the espresso machine instead and get a heat exchanger machine like this Bezerra. Trust me, I've been down the SBDU vs. HX path, and HX wins every time.

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
dana_leighton
dana_leighton
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Wed Sep 29, 2010, 6:16pm

dana_leighton Said:

get a heat exchanger machine like this Bezerra

Damn. Sorry -- I just realized the Bezerra has plastic in its housing. That will probably not work for you, regardless of the internal component quality? You really should think about it though...

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
jsaliga
jsaliga

Posted Wed Sep 29, 2010, 6:49pm

dana_leighton Said:

Three things:
a) better design? I would argue that the Vario represents better design, because they were able to get Super Jolly quality grinding packed into a housing smaller than a Mini. Not to mention it is the only grinder in the SJ class that can easily traverse from espresso to French Press and back again.
b) build durability? We do not have enough data on that. I haven't seen reports of people's Varios falling apart. We need more data to say that it has poor durability. But I will say that the Baratza folks stand by their equipment, and if there's a problem, you won't have a problem getting it repaired.
c) piece of plastic? I grant the case is plastic, but it is a very solid feeling piece of equipment. No ill-fitting bendy plastic.

The M4 and Mini are good grinders. They do not produce grind as good for espresso as the Vario. They do not have the near-stepless adjustment of the Vario. They also cannot go between espresso and other brewing methods as simply and painlessly. They are more expensive than the Vario. But if you're really fixated on a steel case, then I guess you'll have to pay more for lesser grind quality. We all have to make choices.

If you're going to spend $1400 for machine and grinder, I'd say get the Vario, and put the $150 toward the espresso machine instead and get a heat exchanger machine like this Bezerra. Trust me, I've been down the SBDU vs. HX path, and HX wins every time.

As I said, I don't like the plastic case on the Vario.  Nothing else about it matters to me.  Owners can argue that it's a well made grinder, and if they are happy with their Varios then I am sincerely happy for them.  But that doesn't change the fact that it looks like a cheap hunk of plastic to me.  So there's no point in trying to persuade me otherwise.  There are other choices that are better suited to my personal requirements, and choice is a great thing.  Let's not labor over mine, please, since that decision is already made.  I am only considering the M4 and the Mini.  By everything I have read both are great grinders.

The Bezerra isn't an option that I'll consider since that would put me over budget.  Keep in mind that I was originally going to buy a Silvia/Rocky combo for less than $1,000.  Going up to $1,400 is a stretch...but not because I can't afford it.  Rather, that is where I have arbitrarily chosen to draw the line, and I won't cross it regardless of how much better things get as price points move further North.  If I can't brew a good cup of espresso for $1,400 then this just isn't for me, and I will have to settle for occasional trips to my local cafe.  My heart will not be broken.  I love coffee, but my life is not ruled by it.  If, on the other hand, I find the experience enjoyable and the results positive then upgrading the espresso machine will be something I may think about in the future.

--Jerome
Zimberto

Espresso: Quick Mill Silvano
Grinder: Barista Vario
Roaster: Zack & Dani's
Posted Wed Sep 29, 2010, 7:40pm

Why are we now talking about grinders and not the "Silvano by Quick Mill"?

I'm interested in this machine but without a single independent review it's hard to plop down $800 for it. Also, I note that Coffewishes.com are selling it for $795 with no mention of "20% off". I'm guessing that that's the going price and there's no reason to rush at it.

Click Here (www.coffeewishes.com)
showing page 1 of 17 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Blurred lines.....  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.491196870804)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+