Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Blurred lines.. Silvano by Quick Mill
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Blurred lines.....  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 17 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
wbaguhn
wbaguhn
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Ponte Vecchio Lusso
Grinder: Cunill Tranquilo, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Cory DR
Drip: Vietnamese gadget, AeroPress
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Wed Sep 29, 2010, 7:33pm
Subject: Re: Blurred lines.. Silvano by Quick Mill

dana_leighton Said:

I've been down the SBDU vs. HX path, and HX wins every time.

Posted September 29, 2010 link

Maybe I'm wrong, but the specs make this look like a DB with a PID controlled brew boiler and a very small steam boiler, rather than an HX or SBDU.

The particular idiosyncrasy of this design would appear to be a steam switch rather than a steam valve.  I'm sure it's usable, but it may take some getting used to for someone used to a knob.

The Silvano certainly looks interesting, and the price is attractive.

It will be nice to hear some actual reports from someone who has used one, but the machine is still quite new.
 View Profile Link to this post
dana_leighton
dana_leighton
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Wed Sep 29, 2010, 7:56pm

wbaguhn Said:

Maybe I'm wrong, but the specs make this look like a DB with a PID controlled brew boiler and a very small steam boiler, rather than an HX or SBDU.

Oh yes, I see that now - The steam production is accomplished by thermoblock. The brew boiler is .7 liter, and I wonder how that translates to intra-shot temperature stability. My struggles with the SBDU machines (my PIDed Solis) is to keep the temperature up during the shot, but that's with an 8 oz boiler, about 1/3 the size of the Silviano one.

Given that information, it might be a contender in its price range, but needs some testing. Where's the CoffeeGeek Labs when we need them?

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Wed Sep 29, 2010, 8:15pm

It sounds like a decent compromise between a SBDU and the more expensive HX machines. You get the potential for thermal stability with the dedicated brew boiler, and the separate thermoblock for steam. The theory behind the design is sound. After struggling with a Silvia for years I can say that a SBDU boiler is a pain to use, and marginally consistent even on a good day. But as others have said, the lack of reviews, and the lack of internal photos would make me hesitate.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
jsaliga
jsaliga
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Compak K10...
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Technivorm, Clever Dripper
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B
Posted Thu Sep 30, 2010, 2:29am

I'm still likely to buy the Silvano despite the lack of reviews and owner feedback, just on the strength of its features.  I'll talk to Chris' Coffee Service today and make up my mind by tomorrow.  If I end up with the Silvano I'll certainly be happy to post about my experience with it, but I'm just a beginner.

--Jerome
JGG
JGG
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: PID Silvia; PID Alexia
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Roaster: Hottop D w/HTC+TC4C
Posted Thu Sep 30, 2010, 4:41am

dana_leighton Said:

Oh yes, I see that now - The steam production is accomplished by thermoblock. The brew boiler is .7 liter, and I wonder how that translates to intra-shot temperature stability. My struggles with the SBDU machines (my PIDed Solis) is to keep the temperature up during the shot, but that's with an 8 oz boiler, about 1/3 the size of the Silviano one.

Given that information, it might be a contender in its price range, but needs some testing. Where's the CoffeeGeek Labs when we need them?

I did some brew temperature profiling on this machine back in July.  I've been pretty swamped lately and haven't summarized the data into a usable presentation.  But I can tell you that my testing showed the machine to have a very nice intrashot profile when pulling through a Scace device.  It also recovered nicely between shots.

I did not do any testing on steaming performance.

I hope to be able to get this data plotted shortly .....

Jim
jsaliga
jsaliga

Posted Thu Sep 30, 2010, 5:29am

I spoke with CCS just a few minutes ago and placed an order for the Silvano and a bottomless portafilter.

--Jerome
KatKat

Espresso: Quick Mill Silvano
Grinder: Vario
Posted Thu Sep 30, 2010, 7:40am

I am so happy this thread was started. I am also in the market for a machine/grinder.

I am upgrading from a super automatic Delonghi Magnifica 3300 and expect to get much better espresso shots (currently they are sour!) and nice micro foam (can I expect latte art quality?).

I am very tech savvy and like gadgets/gear, so the PID appeals to me beyond it's specific functionality :) techies just like measuring instruments...

The Silvano is looking VERY interesting. For a PID machine, the price is attractive and due to the fact that I drink 50/50 espresso/caps, the immediate availability of steam is a big plus. I typically make 2 drinks at the most.

I have some concern about the steam - the fact that it uses thermoblock and the fact that the machine has an on/off switch and not a faucet. I would love to get some opinions or actual experience before I make the final decision. Is microfoam/latte art a realistic expectation?
jsaliga
jsaliga

Posted Thu Sep 30, 2010, 8:12am

I asked Mary at CCS about steam.  The switch controls a soleniod valve to turn steam on and off.  I suppose one could argue that a soleniod valve is just one more part on the machine that could fail...but I wasn't deterred by that.  A manual valve can develop a leak.  I have not found any other machine in the Silvano's price class with a PID, and I am far more concerned about temperature control and the quality of the shot than I am with milk frothing.  At this price point you will very likely be required to make a compromise or two someplace, and I understand that someone else might have priorities that are different from mine.  For example, I have no aspirations to become a latte artist, even though I enjoy a latte from time to time.  

My greatest concern with milk frothing, aside from producing a fine enough milk foam, is getting the milk up to temperature.  The two stand alone milk frothers that I have used do fine enough in the frothing department as far as I'm concerned, but neither of them are able to get the milk hot enough.  With the Silvano I am not so concerned about being able to get the milk hot, and I will assume any shortcomings in the quality of the foam I produce with it reflects more on my lack of Barista skills than the capabilities of the machine itself.

--Jerome
JohnC

Espresso: Saeco Rio Vapore
Grinder: Solis Mulino
Drip: Krups
Posted Thu Sep 30, 2010, 8:38am

I'm also looking at a Silvano, as a second machine for a weekend house.  First machine is an Expobar Pulser, which has been great but which now costs almost $500 more than it did several years ago.  Questions I've got are whether it has a solenoid to release pressure from the portafilter making it easier to dump the puck and whether the lack of an E61 style group head is going to affect quality of the shot.  

I hadn't been thinking about buying a second grinder, being willing to consider grinding two days worth of coffee at home and bring it up to save the $500 or more.
dana_leighton
dana_leighton
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Thu Sep 30, 2010, 8:48am

JohnC Said:

whether it has a solenoid to release pressure from the portafilter making it easier to dump the puck

Posted September 30, 2010 link

Yes. The user manual includes instructions for backflushing, and includes the statement: "Water will forcefully discharge into the drip tray, this is normal."

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
showing page 2 of 17 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Blurred lines.....  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.458801984787)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+