Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Blurred lines.. Silvano by Quick Mill
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Blurred lines.....  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 14 of 17 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Zimberto

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Silvano
Grinder: Barista Vario
Roaster: Zack & Dani's
Posted Fri Oct 22, 2010, 6:57pm
Subject: Re: Blurred lines.. Silvano by Quick Mill

Endo Said:

Anyone have a photo or sketch of how the grouphead is mounted to the brew boiler? Is it right under like the Dalle Corte Mini or off to the side slightly like a Silvia?

Posted October 22, 2010 link

There are some photos here: Click Here (www.home-barista.com) .
 View Profile Link to this post
jsaliga
jsaliga

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Compak K10...
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Technivorm, Clever Dripper
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B
Posted Sat Oct 23, 2010, 7:16am

KatKat Said:

For me, it's all about whether or not a machine would fit MY needs.

I think that's true for everyone.  But not everyone has the same needs.  You, for example, have stressed the importance of steaming performance and latte art.  That is not so important to me.  I wanted a machine that was good enough for me to learn on and was capable of making quality shots of espresso with a minimum of guesswork (sorry, but I call temperature surfing on a SBDU machine guesswork).  I was fairly confident that any espresso machine that I would buy could froth milk as good, if not better, than any stand alone frother, and that's all I really needed in the milk department.  I drink mostly straight shots of espresso and Americanos.  My point was that I think the Silvano's target market is people buying their first espresso machine and want to test the waters rather than folks who are expecting to make visual art in a coffee cup.

I can probably afford a more expensive machine...

I don't think I could really appreciate a more expensive machine at this point even though I can afford it.  I want to develop some skill on the Silvano before I think about spending a lot of money on a high end machine.  Because if I throw down the big bucks, then my expectation will be that every drink is near-perfect every single time.  I want to make sure that my skill level is up to it before diving in that deeply.  The Alex Duetto II, Mini Vivaldi II, and Rocket Giotto Evoluzione (or machines like them) will still be there when I feel the time is right.  Who knows, by then I may decide that I don't really need anything more than the Silvano to make the kind of coffee drinks that I enjoy.  But my wife also knows that there's a chance I will eventually want a little more counter space in the kitchen for a bigger machine.  I don't know when that might happen: it could be never, six months to a year, or next month.  We'll see.  In the meantime, I am enjoying some of the best coffee drinks I have ever had.

--Jerome
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sat Oct 23, 2010, 7:27am

sweaner Said:

What kind of "action" would you like to see.

Maybe the poster was hoping to see the digital readout change numbers?  ;^)

sweaner Said:

. . . the biggest question about this machine was the steaming power, which this video did answer.  It looks quite reasonable, not as fast as an HX or true DB, but certainly usable.

Agreed.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
Bitches_Brew
Bitches_Brew
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: yes
Grinder: yes
Vac Pot: no
Drip: no
Roaster: yes
Posted Sat Oct 23, 2010, 8:31am

i think the metronome-like clunking of the steamer banging away at 88bpm would eventually drive me crazy. (especially before i've had my morning coffee(s) ;)

"You can write down how to make the perfect cup of coffee. But to make it really good, you have to play something fictional, you have to dress up, you have to think, This is the most important thing."
sweaner
sweaner

Espresso: Vetrano, Arrarex Caravel, La...
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, OE Pharos
Drip: Bunn Trifecta MB
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Sun Oct 24, 2010, 3:59pm

That sound is the pump pumping small amounts of water into the steaming thermoblock, a little at a time.

-Scott
“Coffee - the favorite drink of the civilized world.”
Thomas Jefferson
transit

Posted Sun Oct 24, 2010, 6:01pm

It sounds kind of like a heart beat.
Bitches_Brew
Bitches_Brew
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: yes
Grinder: yes
Vac Pot: no
Drip: no
Roaster: yes
Posted Mon Oct 25, 2010, 5:48am

transit Said:

It sounds kind of like a heart beat.

Posted October 24, 2010 link

hahaha   IT'S ALIVE!

sweaner Said:

That sound is the pump pumping small amounts of water into the steaming thermoblock, a little at a time.

Posted October 24, 2010 link

so is that a normal vibe pump making that noise or does the steamer pump differ from your typical pump? i don't hear the usual humming sound along with the clacking while the steamer is running.

"You can write down how to make the perfect cup of coffee. But to make it really good, you have to play something fictional, you have to dress up, you have to think, This is the most important thing."
jsaliga
jsaliga

Posted Mon Oct 25, 2010, 3:56pm

mcKoffee Said:

Makes much more sense to steam water to ~175-180f

I originally dismissed this idea because I don't think that would get the water hot enough to suit me.  I was speaking with Scott today at CCS on another matter and the subject of making Americanos with the Silvano came up.  He made the same suggestion you did.  So I gave it a try tonight.  It does work...but I think dispensing hot water from the Silvano into a 12 oz steaming pitcher works better and is safe.  The water is a little hotter this way, though not has hot as taking water from an electric kettle that just came off the boil.

You may be wondering why this is so important to me.  I usually take coffee in my home office, not in the kitchen.  It's not a far walk my any means, but by the time I get back to my desk and settled my Americano has cooled just a bit and a couple of minutes later it is tepid.  This doesn't happen if I use the electric kettle, where my coffee may be a little to hot to drink in the kitchen but it's just right when I sit down with it at my desk.

It isn't that big a deal.

--Jerome
mcKoffee
mcKoffee

Espresso: VBM DD, Bricoletta, Audrey,...
Grinder: Major,SJ, Rocky,...
Vac Pot: Gold Royal Balance
Drip: When it rains...Aero,...
Roaster: USRC3k,CCR HT, Behmor, Cafe...
Posted Mon Oct 25, 2010, 6:08pm

You can steam water to any temperature you want up to and including full boil.

miKe mcKoffee aka Mike McGinness
www.CompassCoffeeRoasting.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jsaliga
jsaliga

Posted Mon Oct 25, 2010, 6:29pm

I just went to the machine and tried it.  I prefer the electric kettle.

--Jerome
showing page 14 of 17 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Blurred lines.....  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.505928993225)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+