Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Recent Experience:  Avoid Delonghi at all costs
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Recent...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
cgeorge

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Mon Jan 16, 2006, 8:27am
Subject: Recent Experience:  Avoid Delonghi at all costs

I don't know if anyone else has had this experience, or noticed it, but Delonghi equipment just does not last.  Call me stupid, but I have had THREE Delonghi espresso machines, (first I bought, next two gifts--I should have returned them to the store!)  The one I have now, I cannot get repaired. If you go on the Internet, there is no Delonghi corporate site, no "repair central", no address or place I can send it to in order for it to go back to the factory. I have read other reviews on this site that say avoid Delonghi like the plague because they do not support their equipment. I echo that. I've found out the hard way. UGH.  Does anyone out there have any suggestion as where I can send it? (Other than the dump.)  I'd like to get it fixed and use it as only a back up to a much better machine. Again, I've learned my lesson and am posting this in hopes that I can save others the hassle if they are considering Delonghi.  (On the other hand, I have their oil-based radiant heaters, and they work like a charm.)

Craig
 View Profile Link to this post
jrtATL
jrtATL
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Expobar Office Control
Grinder: Mazzer Jolly; Cunill...
Drip: Melitta Clarity
Roaster: Drum on a Weber grill; HG/DB
Posted Mon Jan 16, 2006, 10:18am
Subject: Re: Recent Experience:  Avoid Delonghi at all costs

cgeorge Said:

If you go on the Internet, there is no Delonghi corporate site, no "repair central", no address or place I can send it to in order for it to go back to the factory.

Posted January 16, 2006 link

uh...  have you tried www.delonghi.com ?  Very nice corporate site.  After you choose your country, click on customer service, and look for a repair facility near you.

Good luck.

Jeremy

"I've appeared before every court in the state.  Often as a lawyer." - Lionel Hutz, Esq.
JJDChE

Grinder: Solis Maestro
Drip: Technivorm CD10
Roaster: Toastmaster/SCTO
Posted Fri Jan 27, 2006, 2:45pm

Wow, don't you look pretty silly now?

LOL, www.delonghi.com, it's not obvious or anything.

coffee before noon, beer after noon.
Oaklandguy
Oaklandguy

Espresso: LaPavoni Europiccola, Via...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Technivorm KBT (and...
Roaster: SC/TO, i-Roast 2
Posted Fri Jan 27, 2006, 2:55pm

Might I also add, very, very humbly, that it's always handy to RTFM.

I've owned some DeLonghi equipment in the past and had no problems with them.   Their manuals are (or werre, it's been several years) easy to read and contain the info on contacting customer service and/or obtaining repairs.  Usually, but not always, toll-free numbers.  I've never heard anything bad about DeLonghi service.

So, you don't even have to go on the internet.

Brent
Roasting in an SC/TO and iRoast 2
Europiccola/Drip/Presspot
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
trmc

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: gaggia carezza
Grinder: Hand grinder(old...
Posted Thu Feb 2, 2006, 5:46pm

I have good luck with delonghi.For repair try www.nelsonappliance.com or call them at 866-635-1928  9-5 mst. m-f They are delonghi approved.Send them the machine and after checking it they call and give you a price that included shipping.Delonghi is a little slow on supplying parts,but they will tell you the time frame when they call.Very nice people to talk with!
daffest

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Sep 25, 2010, 12:41am

Well I have to say I find the Delonghi service - very poor. I have a DeLonghi EAM3200 Magnifica Super Automatic Espresso/Coffee Machine that has an issue with the grinder after 6 months - probably a stone in the grinder. I contacted the service centre in US who instructed me to send it to an authorised repair center; but none exist here in Armenia and since the product was a gift bought in Syria  can hardly pop over there to take it back and shipping by DHL etc is more expensive than the tickets for me to take to Europe.  They have offered me no further advise as to how to get the device repaired at a reasonable price. They would not send me the contact details of the manager either to request assistance. Sorry but this is the second delonghi device that I have experienced has broken before being 8 months old -  I will not advocate anybody buying their products as they seem to be just too fragile.
AndyPanda
AndyPanda

Espresso: Olympia Cremina, Various...
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Fiorenzato,...
Vac Pot: vintage Corey
Drip: AeroPress
Roaster: BreadMachine/HeatGun
Posted Sat Sep 25, 2010, 8:36am

daffest Said:

has an issue with the grinder after 6 months - probably a stone in the grinder
<snip>
I will not advocate anybody buying their products as they seem to be just too fragile.

Posted September 25, 2010 link

Yeah ... Those crappy Delonghi products!  

Also, don't buy Mazda cars - my Mazda has a problem with the engine after I ran it without oil - it was only 8 months old, Mazda is just too fragile.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Sat Sep 25, 2010, 10:44pm

AndyPanda Said:

Yeah ... Those crappy Delonghi products!  

Also, don't buy Mazda cars - my Mazda has a problem with the engine after I ran it without oil - it was only 8 months old, Mazda is just too fragile.

Posted September 25, 2010 link

Yeah, our darn Chevy Cavalier had a similar issue when I ran it without gas once.  Damn thing wouldn't budge.  Piece of junk.  I had to per 'er down.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
PJK
PJK

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Sun Sep 26, 2010, 12:42am

I have gotten the idea that Delonghi isn't high end.  I don't have any Delonghi coffee equipment unless you count the little Delonghi cooktop in my coffee bar.

One of the requirements for gas gooktops in our kitchen is that they either relight automaticily or turn off the gas in the event of the flame being blown out.  This is not a given.  Our main cooktop has a flame sensor and relights.  This little Delonghi requires that I push down on the knob until the flame lights and the sensor is heated. When this cooktop was new that might be 3 to 5 seconds.  Now one of the burners can take 30 seconds.  To keep the flame lit I am forced to press the knob and listen to the ignition snap repeatedly.  The cooktop is about two years old and is out of warranty.  I called the people I bought it from and they gave me a number to call for the distributor.  I called them and was told that the delay is normal.  If I want to try new thermocouples they are ~ $30 each.

For the most part this cooktop fits my needs and there aren't many with the safety feature which I require but I am irritated with the flakeyness of the thermocouple system.

Phil

PJK: MVC-899S.JPG
(Click for larger image)

Philip J. Keleshian
PJK
PJK

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Sun Sep 26, 2010, 5:34pm

I noticed that Jeremy gave a link to DeLonghi which works.  On the link they do not admit to making cooktops.  There is a phone number for customer service however. Tomarrow I will give them a call and see what they say.

By the way this morning as I was cooking my morning porrage the worst of the burners came up and stayed lit just like when it was new.  That is not altogether good news as intermittant problams are hard to troubleshoot.

My hope is that they say yes we have seen that problem and we will send you the updated components to fix the problem.

Phil

Philip J. Keleshian
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Recent...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.453112125397)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+