Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Lelit PL41TEM w/ PID - any info?
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Lelit PL41TEM w/...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
Zimberto

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Silvano
Grinder: Barista Vario
Roaster: Zack & Dani's
Posted Thu Nov 11, 2010, 8:42pm
Subject: Re: Lelit PL41TEM w/ PID - any info?

h3yn0w Said:

The Lelit also has an OPV.

Posted November 11, 2010 link

Yes, you are correct. Sorry! And $630 does make it good value.
 View Profile Link to this post
Windrat

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sat Nov 13, 2010, 7:59pm

I recieved my machine yesterday and have had some sucess. I am intrigued that the default setting for the  PID temperature is 95 c  or 203 f  the temperature drops from 95 into the mid 80s on a two once shot.   with the boiler mounted above the brew head  fresh water entering the boiler during the shot woudl be reflected in brew temp quickly.  reading about he Silva PId temp it seems they are much higher   in the   104c 220 f range.  

Am I right in thinking that the 95 c is an optimum group brewhead temperarture for the average of the shot and not necessarily a good boiler temperature to produce the optimum brew head temp? I have noticed that finished lattes are a bit cooler than we prefer even with heated porto filter cups  and optimal temperature milk.

Using hot/warm water in the tank seems to aleviate the temp drop during the shot a bit too ..  I was using water from my water cooler to start with before I woke up .

Seems funny to me that  manufacturers do not use a boiler with a divider that separates fresh water entering from the group head.     Cold water could enter the back rear of the boiler without changing the output flow temperature thoughout the shot because it would pull hot water off the top of the boiler first.

Coments appreciated
AndyPanda
AndyPanda

Espresso: Olympia Cremina, Various...
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Fiorenzato,...
Vac Pot: vintage Corey
Drip: AeroPress
Roaster: BreadMachine/HeatGun
Posted Sun Nov 14, 2010, 8:14am

You will want to stop putting hot water in the reservoir - that can damage your pump.

I'm not familiar with the LeLit boiler, but a Gaggia boiler, as an example, has a stand pipe inside - so even though the group head is directly under the boiler, it is the water at the top of the boiler that feeds to the group.  I would bet your boiler has something similar.

The Lelit owners can give you specific temps and routines - but I will give you a seat of the pants guess that 102-105C would be a better range to try.
adamreed31
adamreed31

Espresso: Lelit PL41TEM (PID)
Grinder: Anfim Best
Drip: Bodum French Press
Roaster: Dunn Bros Addison TX
Posted Sun Nov 14, 2010, 10:03am

My experience thus far has been favorable using the factory recommended 95 degree celcius pid setting. I do however, like the idea of using  room temp distilled water versus a refrigerated temp to not be such a drastic shift from cool to hot from resevoir to boiler.
Have not closely watched the pid temp when pulling a double shot, but my guess is that the temp will drop about 12 degrees by the time the shot is pulled.
Have yet to notice any inaeqate temp issues such as a cool shot. A cool latte seems unlikely if the steamed milk is brought up to the proper temp before combining...especially considering there is much more milk in a latte than espresso....just my opinion however.
I do like to let the machine heat up before use of course, and I also like to run a 'blank shot' through the grouphead and portafilter to ensure these items are up to temp as well.  
Overall, I continue to be impressed the machine, especailly for the money.
Will try to increase the pid temp just to compare but I have yet to have an over or underextracted shot with the 95 degree setting.

Will be interesting to hear more feedback from others as people begin to take delivery of them.
h3yn0w
h3yn0w

Posted Sun Nov 14, 2010, 1:44pm

Do you have a fast read food thermometer? You can use the "styrofoam cup method" to measure what you are getting at the group. That might be a good way to dial in your PID. On average you'd want 93-94 C/199-201F there.

95 is pretty close to what you'd want at the group, so be sure to let the machine warm up well. Then again with the boiler mounted directly above the group on the Lelit, perhaps there isn't much of a temp drop. This seems to be more of a concern on the Silvia, which is probably why PID's get dialed in at much higher temps on those machines.
Windrat

Posted Mon Nov 15, 2010, 8:12am

I have been using  warm water  so not worried about pump damage   a few shots that I pulled with the refrigerated water  in the tank were dismal but it seems to be ok with room temp water

I am now using 96c as my pid  setting  and getting some pretty nice shots and one near god shot this morning  semi sweet.   My first shot  always sucks i guess this is common.

My pucks are not touching the screen and show a bit wet but the shots are tasty  should I be slowly  increasing the dose and increasing the grind size to get a higher level in the porta filter?    After tamping at 30lbs ( I use a Click Mat)   I am about 8 mm below the top of the portfilter starting from a distribution level with the top.

Does anyone have have detailed instructions for the pid unit  which seems to use the same face plate as the Quickmills  I stubbled on a OFF display setting once that is not mentined in the manual so I am inclined to think there is more programing ability in the two face plate buttons than documented even with the pid it over shoots quite a bit and does not seem to be learning?    I hate waiting between..

? To make two quick lattes   I am thinking it is better to steam one    pull two doubles  then steam the second.
adamreed31
adamreed31

Espresso: Lelit PL41TEM (PID)
Grinder: Anfim Best
Drip: Bodum French Press
Roaster: Dunn Bros Addison TX
Posted Tue Nov 16, 2010, 8:53pm

Just a quick FYI- I have started another thread entitled 'Lelit PL41TEM- Calibration feedback' so owners and others can share their experiences dedicated to the subject...thought this may be helpful as the new machine starts to trickle into new owners' homes. I can see this thread going all over the place real quick:0) Thanks. AB
magellancoffee
magellancoffee

Posted Wed Nov 28, 2012, 12:34pm

Can someone that has recently purchased a new Lelit PL41TEM confirm that it comes with a blind filter for backflushing?

Thanks
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Lelit PL41TEM w/...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.474984884262)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+