Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Ulka Pump for Starbucks Barista Missing Spring
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Ulka Pump for...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
lawrenceny

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Jun 20, 2010, 8:53am
Subject: Ulka Pump for Starbucks Barista Missing Spring

I was taking apart the ulka pump on my starbucks barista machine and I accidentally lost one of the springs. The spring I lost is the the one labeled #4 on this diagram: http://www.myschiffman.org/cg/pump_parts.jpg . I am able to pump water just fine to my steam wand but the water is just sort of dribbling out weakly through the brew head. Does anyone know if it is because of that spring and if so, where can I buy that spring?
 View Profile Link to this post
c4h5n2o
c4h5n2o
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: LM
Grinder: Bunn/Vario
Drip: Swiss gold
Roaster: No time
Posted Sun Jun 20, 2010, 9:46pm
Subject: Re: Ulka Pump for Starbucks Barista Missing Spring

More than likely. I wouldn't expect it to work without that spring. I'm unaware of anyone who sells Ulka parts per se or even rebuilds these commercially. It would generally be labour prohibitive & a shop would just replace the $40 pump.

I think your practical choices are to pay a visit to your local service department or hardware store. A lot of repair guys will stockpile surplus parts from espresso machines that have had a major component failure. If you are lucky, one will have the exact spring (or whole pump) at a low price. Or stop by your local hardware store and buy the closest spring you find there. If the sizing and tension is approximately right, you'll be in business.

The only other thing I can think of is to watch your local Craigslist and see if you could pick up a cheap, non-working machine and strip the pump from it. A lot of machines use Ulka pumps, so it doesn't necessarily have to be the same model machine. Of course if the machine isn't working because of a failed pump, this may not work so well.
lawrenceny

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Jun 20, 2010, 9:58pm

Thanks for the advice. Yeah I figured I could call a few repair guys and hardware stores to see if they have any spare parts lying around but I just wanted to make sure that the spring was what was causing the weak pressure to the brew head before committing to looking for that part. It would be great if someone knew if that missing spring was indeed the culprit.
c4h5n2o
c4h5n2o
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: LM
Grinder: Bunn/Vario
Drip: Swiss gold
Roaster: No time
Posted Sun Jun 20, 2010, 10:26pm

The missing spring and about ten other parts could be causing the problem you are having with the pump. If all of the other internal parts are in working order, then the spring is all that you need. It's less likely, but still possible that you have multiple bad parts.

Your description describes a pump that is working but not building much pressure. So it's either not sealing or completing a full stroke. Springs are typically inexpensive, so if you have the time & inclination to try you may well resurrect your pump.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Ulka Pump for...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.34247303009)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+