Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Vintage Espresso Machine: Saeco Bar 2000
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Vintage Espresso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
bimmer26
bimmer26
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Saeco Bar 2000, Bialetti...
Grinder: combi unit
Drip: old style Vietnamese manual
Posted Mon Mar 29, 2010, 11:00am
Subject: Vintage Espresso Machine: Saeco Bar 2000

A month ago I bought the Saeco Bar 2000 from one of my favourite vintage stores (Machine Age Modern). The owner believed it was made in the 80's but wasn't sure since there weren't any date markings. He recently acquired it. I couldn't believe it was in near perfect condition. It looked hardly used. The only thing missing was the double shot filter basket which I easily replaced. Even the manual didn't have a print date. Yes, the manual was intact if somewhat yellow with age.

I was in the market for a new machine and considering the Miss Silvia when I happened upon the Bar 2000. I bought it because I loved the retro 80's "ugly" look.  There isn't anything on the market that looks like it. Although the shop owner said the Bar 2000 was in working condition, there was a 50% chance that it might break down considering it's age. I bought it anyways. It didn't cost much ($130) so I took the risk.

I was all excited like a kid with a new toy (yes I'm a tech gadget freak) and wanted more info on this model but there's not much on the net besides a Youtube video with someone pulling a shot. Not extremely useful. I checked with Saeco Canada and the tech confirmed it was manufactured in the 80's.  
The manual at least gave me all the info I needed to operate it. I'm going to list details here for anyone else who wants to know more. I also included a photo.
Saeco Bar 2000:
-semi-automatic
-single brass boiler, dual use
-compact but weighs about 25-30 lbs
-steel and plastic design but mostly steel based on it's weigh
-has built-in burr grinder and doser.  The grinder works as an independent unit. A dial on the right allows adjustment for grind coarseness. I've set it to about 2.5.
-removable water tank
-stainless steel steaming wand with knob
-53 mm non pressurized portafilter made of chrome plated cast brass (I think cuz it's heavy) and plastic handle with clasp
-built-in knock box and storage
-removable drip tray with removable stainless steel grills
-non-slip rubber feet which haven't deteriorated
-made in Italy

I was able to pull about 10 shots before the heating element died! It cost me about $200 to replace the heating element and top part of the boiler. The service guy also descaled the unit. Apparently the boiler was full of calcium deposit. Yuck! That was about a week ago. Everything is back to working order although it now takes about 15 secs longer for the boiler to be ready from cold.

Does anyone know anything else about this model like how many bars of pressure etc..? Would appreciate any general advice or comments.

I have all the equipment I need to make espresso at home and it does produce a pretty nice shot and crema. I'm practicing on my latte art which isn't quite there yet. Trying to master the micro foam first. I ordered a Reg Barber stainless steel tamper. It's been a little over 2 weeks. When is it going to come?! I'm getting antsy. For now I'm using a small spoon to tamp which is a pain.

Cheers!

Patrick

bimmer26: Saeco-Bar-2000-combi-photo.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Vintage Espresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Espresso Makers
Premium stovetop espresso makers, electric moka pots, machines & accessories.
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.316601037979)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+