Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Bezzera owners thread
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Bezzera owners...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 39 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
tedegreene
tedegreene

Espresso: Bezzera BZ40
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sat Jan 30, 2010, 5:06pm
Subject: Title discussion and Gonzo mod for BZ40

I would like to see each post have a specific title so future readers could quickly browse subjects they are interested in without having to read every post.  Replies to the same subject could carry on the title.  No way to enforce compliance though.

Cracklebox, Imagine 27 fifty watt light bulbs coming on every time you hear the p-stat click.  That's the same power draw the1350 W heaters in our machines use.  I have a two event timer on mine so it comes on an hour before I plan on rising in the morning and can be set to come on just before I come home after work when desired (I work a lot of nights and don't use the 2nd slot much).  The timer was less than 20 bucks at Lowe's. Just make sure you get one that's rated for 15A if you decide to go that route. Mine is rated less than that overall but allows for 1500w of resistance draw.

Food for thought and temptation for you if you like to tinker. I keep contemplating a different solution for occasional use but it's total overkill.  They use a 240V version of the BZ40 in Europe that has 2 heating elements.  My 120V machine has a plug in the boiler's fitting for the second heater. I didn't know what I would need since I hadn't yet obtained the machine when I installed my coffee bar during a remodel. To be sure I covered all bases, I put in a 4 plug outlet box with 2 plugs being fed by a dedicated 20 amp circuit and the other two by a separate 15A circuit (talk about overkill I made it so I could easily convert to 240V if desired).  So, I'm thinking of getting a second heater running off one of the 15A outlets and supplied via a 15 A relay triggered by the first heater. Although I've never come close to exceeding the machine's capacity for steaming or rebound ability, I keep contemplating how fast 2700 W could bring it to operating temp for those spur of the moment cravings and when friends drop by.  

I think it's OK to discuss our particular machines in this broad thread, who knows how many others may be interested or may get ideas for their own applications.  Although not common, I'm sure there are others that have our machine, there's one for sell on Craig's list here in Jacksonville so it's not inconceivable there will be other owners looking for info from time to time.
 View Profile Link to this post
santalum
santalum
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sat Jan 30, 2010, 6:11pm
Subject: Re: Bezzera owners thread

Just found this thread, I joined the Bezzera club a couple of months ago, upgraded from a faithful trouble free 9 year old Silvia to a Bezzera Galatea Domus and don't regret the change for a moment.
The Galatea is a beautiful machine, well finished , lots of steam power, built like a tank, a delight to use and of course makes excellent espresso.

santalum: DomusGalateaWeb.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Cheers,

Santa.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jammin
jammin
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: manual
Roaster: quest m3
Posted Sat Jan 30, 2010, 6:31pm
Subject: Re: Title discussion and Gonzo mod for BZ40

tedegreene Said:

I would like to see each post have a specific title so future readers could quickly browse subjects they are interested in without having to read every post.  Replies to the same subject could carry on the title.  No way to enforce compliance though.

Posted January 30, 2010 link

GATOR,

You read my mind exactly.  I have already been doing this in previous posts in this thread for that same reason.  Let's try and keep this idea rolling as down the road it will make gleaning information for future people(as well as us) much easier.

I like the concise general title though as it clearly represents the material within.

Cheers,
Jackson

roast your own
tedegreene
tedegreene

Posted Sat Jan 30, 2010, 7:36pm
Subject: Welcome Santalume

Thanks for joining our discussion Santalume.  Your machine is a work of art, what a beauty and with Bezzera's great build quality backing up the good looks I know you are one happy camper.  It looks like it has an E61 group. Nice, so many have very high opinions of the design it's good to see Bezzera offers that option for those who swear by it.  We look forward to hearing all about the features it offers.
retfeg

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Jan 31, 2010, 7:31pm
Subject: Re: Welcome Santalume

Dear Friends,

After a few days with my Bezzera BZ07, I am afraid to say, I am still struggling with producing my dream cup of coffee.
I need an advice.

I am using a Rocky grinder that is a few years old.  The ground coffe that comes out of it never consists of uniformed particles.  There are quiet a lot of clamps that are visible and some of them are rather large.
I also, have a feeling that it does not grind quite fine enough. I am almost at the very finest setting (4-5 on the scale, with the true zero being at 2), yet, I still get too much coffee (around 2.5 oz.) with the extraction.  I have tried tamping at 30 lbs with the scale and even harder.

I suspect that the burrs might be dull and need the replacement, which is relatively cheap at $40 or so.  This would be the simplest and cheapest solution.

Yet, I could also sell the grinder and buy a Vario that seems to be very popular and convenient choice for the money it costs.  It would probably cost me only $100-150 to upgrade to it if I sold my Rocky.  And I am fine with this amount.

The question is this.  Is the Vario a better grinder than my Rocky with the new burrs?  I know it is a much more convenient one.  But will I get those fluffy ground coffee with few or no clamps that the more expensive grinders are capable of?

Please advice on which route I should take.

Thanks
farmroast
farmroast
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Strega,Cremina, MCAL...
Grinder: Majors, Dienes
Vac Pot: Hellem10
Drip: CCD, and more
Roaster: 1kg. DreamRoast
Posted Sun Jan 31, 2010, 8:14pm
Subject: cool, Bezzeraland

Bezzera's are nice machines. Very popular in Australia.  I have an older BZ99S and an ancient '60s Bezzera Familia Club spring lever. It's on the rebuild workbench right now.

Ed Bourgeois... LMWDP #167
please visit my blog
http://coffee-roasting.blogspot.com/
tedegreene
tedegreene

Posted Sun Jan 31, 2010, 10:00pm
Subject: A dream cup for Retfeg?

Retfeg, the first advice I will offer is to give it some time, a few days isn't much for a new machine.  I've had mine since October and have gotten maybe 10 cups I could call "dream come true" quality. For the most part, I've had to settle for coffee that is way better than what I can get anywhere else but considerably less than those "dream shots" that happen from time to time.  More info about you and your expectations is appropriate prior to advice giving.  What do you expect for your dream cup? Are you looking to meet someone's definition of a "God Shot" by pouring a certain volume in a specific time or do you just want a good tasting cup?  Don't sweat the time/volume thing too much. That's just to get you in the right ball park. Where you go once you get into the park is specific to the bean you are using, how fresh it is, even what the weather conditions are. It's generally recommended to change one thing at a time so you know what effect that change and that change alone makes but judge the results by what the coffee taste like not how long the pull takes. Quick things to try. Grinding into a container that you can shake to break up clumps. Some folks recommend stirring the grounds with a tooth pick to get even distribution.  Grind finer, taste the cup and decide was it better or not then try coarser and judge the taste change. Are you using fresh roasted coffee? Try coffee from a different roaster. Measure the coffee then try larger/smaller amounts. Tamp harder, softer, don't tamp at all. Flush longer, shorter, not at all  and with various rebound times.  Be patient, there are a LOT of combinations of coffee, grind, tamp, dose, flush, humidity, and on and on. If you only drink a few cups a day and change one thing at a time it will take a while to try them all, so what? Do you have a deadline? What's your hurry and where are you going in such a rush? If your coffee is better than Charbucks, you are headed in the right direction, if it's not then get a cup from Charbucks to satisfy your craving then try changing something different for your next pull. I wouldn't jump on a new grinder until you have explored other remedies first.  If it's not the grinder you will be really disappointed and frustrated.

OK, OK, so I've only had 4 dream cups in reality, but no kidding, I've had at least 6 others that were really really close. You know what?  If I did it 4 times, I know I'll to do it again sooner or later. When I do I'll have lots (I'm afraid) more experience and will be more likely to recognize what I did differently.  Meanwhile, I'm still drinking coffee that's better than I can get anywhere else and I'm still dreaming.  I'm OK with that.
santalum
santalum

Posted Sun Jan 31, 2010, 10:47pm
Subject: Re: Welcome Santalume

tedegreene Said:

Thanks for joining our discussion Santalume.  Your machine is a work of art, what a beauty and with Bezzera's great build quality backing up the good looks I know you are one happy camper.  It looks like it has an E61 group. Nice, so many have very high opinions of the design it's good to see Bezzera offers that option for those who swear by it.  We look forward to hearing all about the features it offers.

Posted January 30, 2010 link

Thanks GATORRPH, your right E61 group, 2 litre boiler, 4 litre reservoir, 1350 watt element.
Still coming to terms with the machine, am using a Rocky grinder, after recently replacing the burrs its doing a great job.

Cheers,

Santa.
santalum
santalum

Posted Sun Jan 31, 2010, 11:00pm
Subject: Re: cool, Bezzeraland

farmroast Said:

Bezzera's are nice machines. Very popular in Australia.  I have an older BZ99S and an ancient '60s Bezzera Familia Club spring lever. It's on the rebuild workbench right now.

Posted January 31, 2010 link

Your right there are quite a few around in Aust, they are on the expensive side so that tends to limit ownership a little, if Bezzera had to rely on the minuscule Australian market they would go broke.
Seems the Galatea is designed primarily for the European market, intructions are in Italian, English, French, German and Spanish.
Cant for the life of me see why the machine is not yet available in the US.
Age is certainly no barrier when it comes to espresso machines, bet your BZ99S outperforms a lot of the newer machines available now.
Are you doing before and after shots of the Bezzera Familia Club spring lever, sounds like an interesting machine.

Cheers,

Santa.
ethorson

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Bunn ES-1A,  Bezzera BZ35
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Roaster: Homemade
Posted Sun Jan 31, 2010, 11:03pm
Subject: Re: Bezzera owners thread - Modifications to my BZ35

I purchased an old and crusty BZ35 on eBay and was pleasantly surprised by the build quality.  After rebuilding it worked great but was a challenging for me to get consistent shots.  Since it was old and cheap to begin with I didn't hesitate to tinker with the machine with the goal of improving the consistency.  The first thing I did was install a dual pressure gauge to monitor the boiler and brew pressures.  There were already capped ports on the boiler so this task was easy.

I wanted to improve the group temperature stability so my next task was to install a PID controlled group heater.  This mod added about 4 pounds of thermal mass to the group, 600 watts of additional heater power, and made for much faster warm up time.  The group temperature is now programmable and stable within one degree.  A composite photo of the mod is shown below.

My latest modification was to add pressure regulated preinfusion capability.  This involved replacing the rotary pump pressure adjusting screw and spring with a solenoid that is controlled with a timer circuit.  I just finished this mod and it seems to really reduce the spurts and channeling that I frequently experienced.  A posting with photos and a video is on HB at Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

ethorson: bzpid0.jpg
(Click for larger image)
showing page 4 of 39 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Bezzera owners...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.40506196022)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+