Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Bezzera owners thread
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Bezzera owners...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 38 of 39 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
IB
IB
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Kim Lever, Bezzera BZ07
Grinder: Vario
Posted Wed Jun 11, 2014, 5:09pm
Subject: Re: brew pressure variation

Jferreir and webstar238 - how are your shots tasting?

I normally hear a little variation in pump pressure during the shot (I have the bz07 so no brew pressure gauge).
I'm not sure that is unusual, especially if you are seeing a nice looking pour that tastes great.
I have always read that the gauges on most prosumer should be taken with a grain of salt as to accuracy, BTW.

These pumps are such a standard part, it's seems odd to think that they would be faulty, although possible of course.  I once replaced my pump, when I first realized that my machine was louder than my friends BZ07. That was before I figured out that the OPV needed to be adjusted.  When I replaced the pump, they were out of the type that came with  the machine and sent a slightly higher capacity version.  I don't remember the details but it was like a 54 instead of a 48.  I only mention it to show that you could always try a slightly diff ulka if you needed to.

I believe that Jferreir stated that the tech he brought the machine to diagnosed an incorrect OPV setting as the reason for a pump problem.  If your shots are tasting pretty good, and your brew pressure valve is hovering between 6-8, you may just want to leave things be for now.  But if I had this issue, I would probably open up the machine, use a sharpie to mark the current OPV adjustment nut position.  Then turn it in one or two turns beyond the original mark, brew a shot, observe. Then turn it out once beyond the original position, brew a shot and observe. Then see if you can set your OPV to get it around 9.

Why? The OPV has a spring in there...although these machines are brand new ( so obviously no limescale) I would just want to make sure that the spring is actuating freely.

Here is a decent general article on the OPV with some images... It's not specific to our machines....
click here
 View Profile Link to this post
jferreir

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Jun 12, 2014, 4:21am
Subject: Re: Bezzera owners thread

Webstar238 Said:

I recently bought a Bezzera BZ10 as well (about 3 weeks ago) and the pressure was fine for the first week, now I am starting to have the same issue.  The pressure has been fluctuating between 6-8 bars and the pump sounds like it struggles as it revs up to 8 and relaxes to 6 and then back up to 8 and then down to 6, and so on, throughout the shot.  This happens if I dose at 12 grams, 14 grams, or even 15-16 grams -- whether I use my VST 18g basket, the 12g Bezzera stock basket -- my bottomless pf, or the stock pf -- whether I use my Pharos Grinder or my Vario.   I have been watching for channeling with my bottomless PF and it seems like a well distributed puck and even tamp.  When I backflush it does reach 9 Bar, and holds throughout, and the pump does still make some faint noise during this.  

Not sure where to go from here...  Should I be pushing the vendor for a pump replacement at this point?

Posted June 11, 2014 link

May I ask where you purchased the machine? I suspect it might be from the same vendor (idrinkcoffee.com). For me, the problem started about 1 week after ownership. The pump was replaced, and the OPV adjusted to 9 bar. About a week later, the problem resurfaced. I exchanged the machine for a direct replacement, which displayed the exact same problem, and the machine has been in the repair centre ever since. This thread details a similar problem, and it was also purchased from the same vendor at about the same time. Assuming your problem is the same, that would be 4 affected BZ10 machines purchased in the last two months from this vendor.

My only advise at this point is to leave the OPV alone. You need to remove the case to access the OPV nut, but doing so will void your warranty. You shouldn't have to tinker with a brand new machine anyway. I'm going to be calling the store later today to get an update on the repair, and then I'll report back.

If I could do this again, I would simply exchange the machine for an alternative brand/model (perhaps Rocket). I really like the dimensions, joystick handles, and heated group of the Bezzera, but it's simply not worth the endless hassle.

P.S. Shots are undrinkable as there is insufficient brew pressure. Nearly every shot is under-extracted, and you have to nearly double the extraction time to reach anything close to drinkable. Trust me when I tell you that this machine is not working as it should.
Webstar238

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Jun 12, 2014, 6:23am

jferreir Said:

P.S. Shots are undrinkable as there is insufficient brew pressure. Nearly every shot is under-extracted, and you have to nearly double the extraction time to reach anything close to drinkable. Trust me when I tell you that this machine is not working as it should.

Posted June 12, 2014 link

This is exactly how it is for me as well.  Well put.

jferreir Said:

May I ask where you purchased the machine? I suspect it might be from the same vendor (idrinkcoffee.com).

Different vendor.  Whole Latte Love.
jferreir

Posted Thu Jun 12, 2014, 7:15am

Webstar238 Said:

Different vendor.  Whole Latte Love.

Interesting. I guess it could have been a defective batch that was shipped to multiple vendors? When was your machine manufactured? I believe mine were in Sept. and Oct. of 2013. This is more puzzling than anything because the UKLA pumps are pretty standard across the industry, so I wonder how so many of them could be defective?? It couldn't possibly be a design flaw because there's lots of happy Bezzera owners out there, and the internals of the BZ10 are pretty much identical to the BZ07 and BZ13. Must be a QC issue...

But I would certainly recommend taking the machine back to WLL for servicing -- you might as well take advantage of the warranty before it expires. Let us know how everything goes.
canuckcoffeeguy
canuckcoffeeguy

Espresso: Bezzera Magica, Mypressi...
Grinder: K10PB, Vario, Hario Slim
Vac Pot: I have a Dyson vacuum, but,...
Drip: Bialetti Brikka, Bodum...
Posted Thu Jun 12, 2014, 9:28am

jferreir Said:

Interesting. I guess it could have been a defective batch that was shipped to multiple vendors? When was your machine manufactured? I believe mine were in Sept. and Oct. of 2013. This is more puzzling than anything because the UKLA pumps are pretty standard across the industry, so I wonder how so many of them could be defective?? It couldn't possibly be a design flaw because there's lots of happy Bezzera owners out there, and the internals of the BZ10 are pretty much identical to the BZ07 and BZ13. Must be a QC issue...

I'm curious, since you've said the problem resurfaced after the pump was replaced with a new one. This implies two possibilities:

1) the new pump was also defective (part of a bad batch of ULKA pumps); or...

2) some other unidentified defect in the BZ10 machine is causing the pumps to fail/perform incorrectly -- if this is even possible.

I'm not saying I know the answer. I'm just posing the question for more knowledgeable folks to chime in. Can some kind of defect/incorrect configurtion elsewhere in a machine damage a pump and cause it to fail? It's interesting that multiple BZ10 owners say their pumps work fine initially, but then fail after a week or more of use.
Webstar238

Posted Thu Jun 12, 2014, 11:45am

jferreir Said:

But I would certainly recommend taking the machine back to WLL for servicing -- you might as well take advantage of the warranty before it expires. Let us know how everything goes.

I called them this morning and they plan to exchange out the unit for a replacement.  WLL technical support has been quite easy to work with so far, kudo to them.  I'll let you know how the new unit works out when it arrives +1 week.  I hope that the batch of these BZ10s made around the same time do not all suffer from whatever this underlying cause is.
jferreir

Posted Thu Jun 12, 2014, 12:12pm

canuckcoffeeguy Said:

I'm curious, since you've said the problem resurfaced after the pump was replaced with a new one. This implies two possibilities:

1) the new pump was also defective (part of a bad batch of ULKA pumps); or...

2) some other unidentified defect in the BZ10 machine is causing the pumps to fail/perform incorrectly -- if this is even possible.

I'm not saying I know the answer. I'm just posing the question for more knowledgeable folks to chime in. Can some kind of defect/incorrect configurtion elsewhere in a machine damage a pump and cause it to fail? It's interesting that multiple BZ10 owners say their pumps work fine initially, but then fail after a week or more of use.

I suspect the answer is (1) since I was told the spare pumps and machines arrived in the same shipment, but I really don't know. I just received a phone call that the repair is now complete, and they installed a new ULKA pump that arrived earlier this week. Let's hope this is the end of it, but I'll have to wait a few weeks to make a proper assessment. I'll report back if there are any further issues. Best of luck to all other disgruntled owners.
Krakatau

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Fri Jun 20, 2014, 1:17pm

Hi Fellow Bezzera owners.
 I'm experiencing some problems with my beloved magica. I got the machine 2 and a half years ago and it's been working very well untill now.
What happens is that  the boilers heats up to the normal operating pressure once but then just drops...looks like somehow, the heating element does not activate itself when the pressure falls. I've been reading and reading and i am wondering were is the trigger to heat the water again? I know the pressostat shut's it off but is it the pressostat that  turns it on again? If so my guess would be to replace the pressostat....If i fiddle with the ajdusment of the pstat the heater sometimes works again.
The only other thing that has changed is that the pump to fill the boiler usually kicks in for a few second when i first turn the machine on. I does not anymore. But the pump still works when the water level gets low.

I would appreciate any help or advice greatfully! I'm feeling a great loss without the machine!

Regards,

Pierre
IB
IB

Espresso: Kim Lever, Bezzera BZ07
Grinder: Vario
Posted Sun Jun 22, 2014, 5:47am
Subject: Re: boiler not heating

Pierre - If none of the Bezzera owners here have ideas, I wonder if you should post this in another area of CG - in the general machine forum. I haven't dealt with this area of the machine enough to give any thoughts myself...
Please do update us when you find an answer.
redbutt
redbutt

Espresso: Bezzera BZ10
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri Jul 11, 2014, 5:54pm

I just got a BZ10 from WLL.  It arrived this week (Wed).  The manufacture date appears to be 12/18/2013.  So, far the thing is awesome.  No sign of the weird pressure issues some have experienced, but I will certainly be on the lookout for that issue.  The only issue I have is that the group head gasket is so freakin tight right now, it's really a herculean effort to seat the portafilter properly.  It's loosened up already in just a few days, but it's still really tight.

The shots are really great, and I find that a slightly overdosed stock double basket makes a killer ristretto double with the beans from a local small batch roaster.

DB
http://www.espressochronicles.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 38 of 39 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Bezzera owners...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.467837095261)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+