Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Bezzera owners thread
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Bezzera owners...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 5 of 39 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
santalum
santalum
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sun Jan 31, 2010, 11:12pm
Subject: Re: Bezzera owners thread - Modifications to my BZ35

ethorson Said:

I purchased an old and crusty BZ35 on eBay and was pleasantly surprised by the build quality.  After rebuilding it worked great but was a challenging for me to get consistent shots.  Since it was old and cheap to begin with I didn't hesitate to tinker with the machine with the goal of improving the consistency.  The first thing I did was install a dual pressure gauge to monitor the boiler and brew pressures.  There were already capped ports on the boiler so this task was easy.

I wanted to improve the group temperature stability so my next task was to install a PID controlled group heater.  This mod added about 4 pounds of thermal mass to the group, 600 watts of additional heater power, and made for much faster warm up time.  The group temperature is now programmable and stable within one degree.  A composite photo of the mod is shown below.

My latest modification was to add pressure regulated preinfusion capability.  This involved replacing the rotary pump pressure adjusting screw and spring with a solenoid that is controlled with a timer circuit.  I just finished this mod and it seems to really reduce the spurts and channeling that I frequently experienced.  A posting with photos and a video is on HB at Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

Posted January 31, 2010 link

Great job Ken, nice project, looks like your pump/solenoid mods worked a treat, age shall not weary them. :)

Cheers,

Santa.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
tedegreene
tedegreene

Espresso: Bezzera BZ40
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon Feb 1, 2010, 2:00pm
Subject: Re: Bezzera owners thread - Modifications to my BZ35

Manual modulation of grouphead temperatures/grouphead thermometer description and link

Glad to have Farmroast and Ethorson join our discussion.

Ethorson, your mods while very very cool are way beyond my abilities. Just yesterday I figured out how to adjust the grouphead temp using a manual method however and it has had an immediate positive impact on my pulls. See earlier discussions regarding flush timing if you are interested in background. Basically I had trouble getting my pulls above 197 regardless of my flushing routine, I could get cooler pulls with the longer flushes described by owners of other designs but even omitting a flush wouldn't get me higher.

I installed a semi permanent grouphead thermometer a few days ago by running the thermocouple wires under the portafilter gasket and securing the tip to the screw that attaches the shower screen. I found that in general the temp during the pull would remain about where the grouphead temp was at the start of the pull regardless of my flushing technique. If I tried a long flush to warm up the grouphead the water flowed too fast and the grouphead wouldn't heat up much before the HX water got too cool to do the job. It seemed most of the heat was being lost with the steam billowing out. Then the Head would cool back down during the time needed to reheat the now cool HX water and I'd be right back where I started. As an experiment I bumped the brew button to allow just a squirt to fill the empty portafilter stopping as soon as the first bit of steam escaped from the spout. The temp fell from 200 to 198, I assume from cold water in the pipe between the HX and the grouphead. I paused 2 or 3 seconds bumped again and got the temp 202. The next pause/bump/pause raised the grouphead/portafilter temp to 205, another got me to 207 then 209 and I decided to try a pull from there. The temp fell to 206 while I was grinding and tamping a test dose but without additional flushing remained there throughout the shot pull. Wow what a hot cup I had, not a God shot to be sure but not all that bad either. Not burned but perhaps a little bitter.

That description sounds real tedious but in practice this morning it wasn't bad and added almost nothing to the total prep time. I just bumped between the steps of my normal routine. It went like this: Bump the button until steam just starts hissing from the portafilter spout then measure beans into the grinder's hopper, bump then pour milk into the pitcher, bump then grind beans into a glass, bump remove the portafilter-dry-fill with coffee and tamp. Now the temp gauge is at 206, flush and the reading starts falling after the water dance slows; 205,204,203. Stop, lock the filter and pull with no delay for a 202 degree shot. Shorten the final water dance flush for higher pull temps or extend it for lower.

This is of course, very preliminary. I think the process I've described is probably more elaborate than it needs to be since I achieve a higher than necessary starting point but this was the first day and more practice will be needed to perfect and simplify the procedure. It looks like I will be able to quickly hit any specific temperature I desire from 209 on down and with precision after I work out the details.

You can get a multimeter thermometer pretty cheap if you want to duplicate my set up. click here to see the one I use.

Hey Retfeg, I did manage dream cups 5, 6 and 7 this morning after months of taking wrong paths. So donít give up. The journey's been fun if sometimes frustrating. It's all about trying different approaches. The higher temps moved me from a good cup to great or nearly great one. Only thing is, now the barís been set a little higher for my next dream cup.  That's how it's gone with my learning curve. I reach a plateau where I my single parameter at a time adjustments from where I am donít seem to improve things. Trying one thing at a time takes so long I feel like giving up then one day I hit on the one thing that does make a positive impact, sometimes by accident and I start all over looking for a new way to raise the bar again. Meanwhile Iím enjoying coffee better than I can get anywhere locally. It's not the fish you caught nor the golf shot you made that keeps you coming back to those hobbies. It's the one that got away that turns a hobby into pursuit and it's all about the chase. I'm OK with that too.
 View Profile Link to this post
jammin
jammin
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: manual
Roaster: quest m3
Posted Mon Feb 1, 2010, 7:09pm
Subject: Re: Bezzera owners thread

here is a video of an extraction.  bad video quality and not the best shot I've made but I just wanted to share a vid.  Critique away Bezzera bro's:)

http://vimeo.com/9144273

Cheers,
Jammin

roast your own
tedegreene
tedegreene

Espresso: Bezzera BZ40
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon Feb 1, 2010, 7:25pm

jammin Said:

here is a video of an extraction.  bad video quality and not the best shot I've made but I just wanted to share a vid.  Critique away Bezzera bro's:)

Posted February 1, 2010 link

Looks yummy.
santalum
santalum

Posted Mon Feb 1, 2010, 7:40pm

jammin Said:

http://vimeo.com/9144273

Cheers,
Jammin

What was the volume of the shot? looked pretty good , perhaps a little on the fast side.
Can you provide a few more details, bean type, basket size, etc.

Cheers,

Santa.
jammin
jammin

Posted Mon Feb 1, 2010, 7:44pm

santalum Said:

What was the volume of the shot? looked pretty good , perhaps a little on the fast side.
Can you provide a few more details, bean type, basket size, etc.

14.3 grams of Flying M Espresso Blend.  Vs = 1.25oz

i think it could have been pulled a little tighter as well.  The beans were roasted Friday so they are just peaking.  i wish I had a better camera:(

roast your own
santalum
santalum

Posted Mon Feb 1, 2010, 7:48pm

jammin Said:

14.3 grams of Flying M Espresso Blend.  Vs = 1.25oz

i think it could have been pulled a little tighter as well.  The beans were roasted Friday so they are just peaking.  i wish I had a better camera:(

Is 14.3 grams the max you can get in the basket? perhaps another gram at the same grind if it will fit will do the trick.
Btw the camera works fine.

Cheers,

Santa.
jammin
jammin

Posted Mon Feb 1, 2010, 7:52pm

santalum Said:

Is 14.3 grams the max you can get in the basket? perhaps another gram at the same grind if it will fit will do the trick.
Btw the camera works fine.

it gets awfully crowded when i start pushn 15 grams.  gonna play with it though a little more.  i like your idea.

roast your own
santalum
santalum

Posted Mon Feb 1, 2010, 8:06pm

jammin Said:

it gets awfully crowded when i start pushn 15 grams.  gonna play with it though a little more.  i like your idea.

Maybe just bump it to 14,5 and grind a tad finer.

Cheers,

Santa.
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Feb 1, 2010, 8:24pm

jammin Said:

it gets awfully crowded when i start pushn 15 grams.  

Jackson - are you saying that at 15g the puck makes contact when locking in?  
Or are you concerned about the puck expanding into the screen when the shot is brewing?  

In any case, you probably want to grind just a bit finer....the shot looked like it ran fairly fast and blonde-ish.

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
showing page 5 of 39 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Bezzera owners...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.465856075287)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+