Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Dialing in a Lelit PL041
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Dialing in a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 14 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
acasabia
acasabia
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus iv-p,...
Grinder: Quamar M80e, Hario slim
Vac Pot: Yama Vacpot, Aeropress,
Drip: french press
Roaster: hot-air popper.
Posted Mon Jan 25, 2010, 8:35pm
Subject: Re: Dialing in a Lelit PL041

shawndo Said:

My problem is that I only have one portafilter and can't find anywhere who has any portafilter for the Lelit.  I don't want to send off my only portafilter to be modified.  1st-line won't be restocked until April

Posted January 25, 2010 link

I keep hearing that Le'lit manufactures parts for La Pavoni, further reseach has shown me that LP produces some very similar models.

That being said, this may be a solution, however I have yet to hear definitive proof that this does in fact fit properly.

Anthony C

Currently pulling: Whatever Sweet Maria's sends me :D
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
shawndo
shawndo
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: LM Shot Brewer
Grinder: VL M3/Compak K10 Pro
Posted Mon Jan 25, 2010, 8:39pm

acasabia Said:

I keep hearing that Le'lit manufactures parts for La Pavoni, further reseach has shown me that LP produces some very similar models.

That being said, this may be a solution, however I have yet to hear definitive proof that this does in fact fit properly.

I heard about those, but can't seem to find a place to buy them either.
 View Profile Link to this post
godofgwar

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: Single Dripper/Aeropress
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Mon Jan 25, 2010, 10:26pm

Below is the best art (whole milk) I've been able to produce in my six or so months of owning the Lelit. Decent, I'd say. But when I make the GF lattes with nonfat milk, it all goes to hell. I'm still using the 12-oz pitcher that I use for my cappuccinos for the lattes. Should I be upgrading to a 20-oz? Also, I've seen videos of people pour the steamed milk from a small pitcher into a larger one to before pouring art. Does that help?

godofgwar: Coffee-1.10.4.jpg
(Click for larger image)
mini

Espresso: Le'Lit PL041
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Drip: (Aerobie Aeropress)
Posted Mon Jan 25, 2010, 10:45pm

geoffbeier Said:

Wow. Talk about two wildly differing reports. I wonder what the difference is for you guys? Pitcher size? Milk variety? Pitcher shape? The amount of milk you put in there? ...

Keeping in mind that I'm still a newbie (1 month), I stand by my claim that really good microfoam is definitely possible.  That being said, I suppose it is a bit tricky.  I wouldn't know how to compare it since I've never used any other machine.  

The only way to get continuous pressure is to keep the boiler light on the whole time.  I let it reach full temperature, then open the wand until the light comes on again, then wait about 8 seconds to start.

I have a 12oz RattleWare pitcher that sort of has the same idea as the Toroid one (curved doughnut-ish bottom shape), although not as pronounced.   I usually steam ~6oz at a time.  Publix brand whole milk.  Cold pitcher to start with.  I don't pour off into another pitcher.

mini: CG1.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Matt
espressoaddict

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3 (Primary)...
Grinder: Baratza Vario 2009 and...
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Melitta Single Cup, Bodum...
Posted Mon Jan 25, 2010, 11:26pm

Hi Shawn,

Your flow pull looks acceptable.  With an estimated total time of around 28 seconds to generate a 2 oz standard double.

However, you noted it being bitter.  It is quite possible due to the type of blend you are using.  Based on what I gathered Palermo is a dark roasted blend. Usually darkrt roasts tend to like the cooler end of the temp.  Usually around 195 F is a good place to start, but since your boiler and heating element seems to be very efficient, it may be very difficult to hit that low of a temp.  Are the beans dark like black with oils on the surface?

If this is a reasonable assumption, than you are better off working with a more forgiving blend like a full city roast.  There are many out there.  If you want a recommendation try some Black Cat Classic Espresso.
boredatwork

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Jan 26, 2010, 4:16pm

I recant my statements.  On the one hand now I have hope again for this machine, but its also depressing that I've put in so much effort to get nothing like what other people are posting.  

I rarely get anything close to pourable micro-foam to the point that I stopped trying.  But the pictures posted mean I just need to go back to work.  Usually I just get very stiff egg white foam but never pourable microfoam.

I am also doing basically everything different than everyone else.  I use nonfat milk, a regular pitcher, and only 4oz of milk.  Maybe I should try whole fat milk, a better pitcher, and at least 6oz of milk.
boredatwork

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Jan 26, 2010, 4:17pm

I don't know how appropriate this is for the OP, but can people also post pictures of their espresso shots?  And do other people have problems with very early blonding?
shawndo
shawndo

Posted Tue Jan 26, 2010, 4:53pm

espressoaddict Said:

However, you noted it being bitter.  It is quite possible due to the type of blend you are using.  Based on what I gathered Palermo is a dark roasted blend. Usually darkrt roasts tend to like the cooler end of the temp.  Usually around 195 F is a good place to start, but since your boiler and heating element seems to be very efficient, it may be very difficult to hit that low of a temp.  Are the beans dark like black with oils on the surface?

If this is a reasonable assumption, than you are better off working with a more forgiving blend like a full city roast.  There are many out there.  If you want a recommendation try some Black Cat Classic Espresso.

I think this is the issue.  I just flushed a full 4 ounces then immediately started a shot to try and drop the temperature as much as possible.  (The boiler is only 7 ounces)  The shot was still a little bitter, but less than before.  I also started to notice the sweet caramel flavors that the reviews hinted at.  Definitely a more complex flavor!  Very heartening.  

I'm picking up some Black Cat this weekend.  Luckily, I found a local place that uses Black Cat as their house blend and always has freshly roasted beans!

Here is a photo of the Palermo.  Day 8-9 after roasting.  Fairly dark with little oil spots here and there.

PS 75KB is a little limiting on the photos.  Is there a way to put in-line photos from off-site?  Most forums have the tag, but that doesn't seem to work here.  I can't seem to find the proper code to do that.

shawndo: palermo.8days.jpg
(Click for larger image)
espressoaddict

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3 (Primary)...
Grinder: Baratza Vario 2009 and...
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Melitta Single Cup, Bodum...
Posted Tue Jan 26, 2010, 5:52pm

shawndo Said:

I think this is the issue.  I just flushed a full 4 ounces then immediately started a shot to try and drop the temperature as much as possible.  (The boiler is only 7 ounces)  The shot was still a little bitter, but less than before.  I also started to notice the sweet caramel flavors that the reviews hinted at.  Definitely a more complex flavor!  Very heartening.

Posted January 26, 2010 link

Sounds like an extreme amount of flusing for a single boiler.  Even for my Silvia, I typically will flush a max of 1 oz right after the thermostat light turns off.  Any more than that than we are introducing more cold water via the boiler's inlet.  Just a guess, but when flushed the 4 oz of water, you probably did tame some of the brew water, but the rest was probably on the cooler side (hot mixed with fresh cold water).  Try to picture the inside movement of the hot mixing with cold.

If you want to take a more anal approach you can try performing the styrofoam test with thermometer to learn the temp profiles of your machine's brew temp.

shawndo Said:

I'm picking up some Black Cat this weekend.  Luckily, I found a local place that uses Black Cat as their house blend and always has freshly roasted beans!

Here is a photo of the Palermo.  Day 8-9 after roasting.  Fairly dark with little oil spots here and there.

It's not accurate to gauge the actual color in your photo, as some monitors and hues are not calibrated correctly.  From your actual view, it may appear dark, but when viewing the beans on my current display, it looks medium roasted or light brown.

I'd try the Black Cat and see what type of results you get. I would pull those shots w/o temp surfing.  As a matter of fact, I just got a bag of Classic Black Cat and pulled two shots today.  Interesting enough, pulled two shots. The very first shot was brewed at a higher than optimal brew temperature.  The color was very near the color of dark chocolate -- suggesting the higher temp was used.  Despite using higher than ideal temp, the shot still was acceptable for my palate and if this was from a different blend it would have been considered a sink shot.  The second shot was better, but on the tight size.  That too was consumed and still acceptable. This blend will provide me some play time on the Vario and Silvia.  I'll make sure to share my results if successful.

shawndo Said:

PS 75KB is a little limiting on the photos.  Is there a way to put in-line photos from off-site?  Most forums have the tag, but that doesn't seem to work here.  I can't seem to find the proper code to do that.

Some use Photobucket, I use Flickr.com since it provides various image sizes and it's free.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!
shawndo
shawndo

Posted Tue Jan 26, 2010, 6:02pm

espressoaddict Said:

It's not accurate to gauge the actual color in your photo, as some monitors and hues are not calibrated correctly.  From your actual view, it may appear dark, but when viewing the beans on my current display, it looks medium roasted or light brown.

My monitor is actually calibrated with a colorimeter (I'm also trying to learn photography) so anyone who has a properly calibrated monitor should see the color the same.  Hopefully someone with a calibrated monitor can comment.   Could it be that these beans are actually medium roasted?  I don't know enough about coffee yet to be able to identify this.

espressoaddict Said:

Some use Photobucket, I use Flickr.com since it provides various image sizes and it's free.
Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

These would require linking to the site.  I was curious about putting images in-line with the post, so it looks like it's attached (but it really hosted somewhere else)
showing page 3 of 14 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Dialing in a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.532116889954)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+