Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
ECM / Rocket Giotto User Group
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > ECM / Rocket...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 12 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
kelly1

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rocket Giotto Premium...
Grinder: Baratza Vario,Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum presspot
Drip: Melitta
Posted Sun Jan 17, 2010, 2:54pm
Subject: Re: ECM / Rocket Giotto User Group

With regard to boiler pressure, my Giotto premium Plus is running the same pressure  as you're machine was before the insulation mod... Fyi.

boyscout Said:

Count me in.  After months in an agony of indecision reading strong opinions about various machines, I decided to buy a Vibiemme DoubleDomo, and headed to a dealer in my region to pick one up.  I came home with... a Rocket Giotto Professional!  After a week of use, I'm very pleased.

Just two disappointments.

1)  The rotary pump is surprisingly noisy, almost as noisy as the vibrating pump in the same machine

2)  It wastes a LOT of heat from its un-insulated boiler.  When left on all day, cups left on top were almost too hot to handle, and the kitchen cupboard above the machine became very warm, no food could have been kept in it.  The heating element clicked on very frequently, I didn't time it, but maybe every ten minutes or so, so I worried about energy use.

To address the latter problem I just this morning completed the task of insulating the boiler.  At a plumbing supply place I got a sheet of half-inch glass insulation with a foil-paper backing, and some aluminum foil tape.  There are many pipes and sensors going in/out of the boiler, but with two largish pieces and several smaller ones I was able to cover most of the boiler, being careful not to let any aluminum rest near electrical contacts.

The difference is already obvious after a few hours.  The cupboard above the machine is just above room temperature, items on top are warm but not hot, and the heating element cycles on less frequently.  Curiously, I also seem to be getting better brew pressure, though I did not adjust the Sirai.  Boiler pressure is still just around 1 bar, maybe very slightly higher, but while I was usually getting just over 8 bars brew pressure before, two pulls this morning have been up at about 9.

I'm feeling love, and would be pleased to see a Giotto group form here.

Posted January 6, 2010 link

Rocket Giotto Premium Plus ,Rancillio Silvia w/PID
Baratza Vario,Baratza Maestro
 View Profile Link to this post
jacobkoski
jacobkoski

Posted Sun Jan 17, 2010, 4:03pm

This is a great idea. I bought an ECM Giotto off craigslist last year for $395!!!! It was for sure the deal of a lifetime and now I have so far replaced the vacuum seal and have plumbed it into filtered water ( as is being described on my blog in progress The Bleeding Bean)
I think next will be a sirai pressure stat and erics adapter.
I will be following this post!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
boyscout

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Mon Jan 18, 2010, 7:28am

jacobkoski Said:

This is a great idea. I bought an ECM Giotto off craigslist last year for $395!!!! It was for sure the deal of a lifetime and now I have so far replaced the vacuum seal and have plumbed it into filtered water ( as is being described on my blog in progress The Bleeding Bean)  I think next will be a sirai pressure stat and erics adapter.  I will be following this post!

Posted January 17, 2010 link

You should be buying lottery tickets regularly... you're exceptionally lucky to get this machine for $395!

The Giotto now comes with a heavy-duty Sirai pressure stat.  What is "erics adapter"?
Troll
Troll

Espresso: Brewtus III
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Mon Jan 18, 2010, 8:07am

boyscout Said:

You should be buying lottery tickets regularly... you're exceptionally lucky to get this machine for $395!

The Giotto now comes with a heavy-duty Sirai pressure stat.  What is "erics adapter"?

Posted January 18, 2010 link

It's sold at Chris Coffee with a brief explanation;

Click Here (www.chriscoffee.com)

Here's a link to the manual.... Looks easy enough to install

http://www.chriscoffee.com/files/40/DigThermAdptr3.pdf

Some people are like slinkies.  They're good for nothing but they will put a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs.
J_Premium
J_Premium

Espresso: Andreja Premium
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, SJ
Posted Mon Jan 18, 2010, 9:31am

There's so much I want to contribute/ask to this thread, it's great that it's taking off.

1) Ok, first things first, how is everyone doing with Latte Art?

I'm relatively new to the "milk" world and am terrible at it.
Any videos, tutorials on pouring techniques, etc on the Giotto would be wonderful.
Also, milk types!

2) Typically, how many seconds (or ounces) does everyone do their first cooling flush for?
Has anyone gone as far as to measuring the temp to seconds ratio of the flush? I don't have the tools to do it, but perhaps someone has.

Let's hear it :)
Thanks!
jacobkoski
jacobkoski

Posted Mon Jan 18, 2010, 10:11pm

I would like to set up a page on my blog exclusively for the ECM Giotto. We could complile mods, tweaks, how-to's guides reparations etc in one place that way and link back and forth from this form to find more input from other users. Any feedback on this idea?
boyscout

Posted Tue Jan 19, 2010, 6:42am

jacobkoski Said:

I would like to set up a page on my blog exclusively for the ECM Giotto. We could complile mods, tweaks, how-to's guides reparations etc in one place that way and link back and forth from this form to find more input from other users. Any feedback on this idea?

Why not here in this thread?
coffeestork

Espresso: Rocket Giotto Premium Plus
Grinder: Rocky
Posted Tue Jan 19, 2010, 7:19am

Was recently lucky and Santa spoiled me, so I'm now part of this group!  

This thread makes it hard to organize different discussions that people might want to have about the Giotto since it is one continous stream.  I would definitely be intersted in a separate group.  I would suggest creating a group either on YahooGroups on or GoogleGroups.  

Any thoughts?
J_Premium
J_Premium

Espresso: Andreja Premium
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, SJ
Posted Tue Jan 19, 2010, 7:46am

I'm fine with it being posted continuously here, as opposed to navigating to different sites.
If someone wants to blog or "organize" what transpires here, I don't see a problem with that.

The benefit of doing it on CG is that it will help to serve as a "go to guide" for future CG searchers.
boyscout

Posted Tue Jan 19, 2010, 7:59am

J_Premium Said:

1) Ok, first things first, how is everyone doing with Latte Art?  I'm relatively new to the "milk" world and am terrible at it.

J_Giotto, see here:

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/latteart
showing page 2 of 12 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > ECM / Rocket...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.476531982422)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+