Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
The Solis SL70 Espresso Machine Thread
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > The Solis SL70...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 29 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
GarrettVD
GarrettVD
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Solis Crema SL-70
Grinder: Solis Maestro Classic...
Posted Sun Jul 16, 2006, 10:47pm
Subject: Re: Solis SL70 notes

Thanks so much for this informative thread, Kristi! I just purchased one of these so I'm sure this will come in handy. Well done!

-G.
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeekid93

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Solis SL-70
Grinder: Sunbeam EM0480
Posted Sun Jul 16, 2006, 10:58pm

Hey kristi,

I'm new to all this...
Do you mean when ever i pull a shot there should be some stuff drippling out of the OPV? If that is the case where are the screws to remove the reservoir?

Thanks
Kristi
Kristi

Espresso: Gaggia Evo w silvia wand
Grinder: Macap M4 mod to d&s-less
Roaster: (Jeff at Redbirdcoffee)
Posted Sun Jul 16, 2006, 11:36pm

Coffeekid93 Said:

Hey kristi,

I'm new to all this...
Do you mean when ever i pull a shot there should be some stuff drippling out of the OPV? If that is the case where are the screws to remove the reservoir?

Thanks

Posted July 16, 2006 link

To see if there is water dribbling out of the opv tube, remove the front drip tray grating and watch as you pull a shot.  Also realize that water will not dribble out if you have not ground fine enough to get a 20sec pull.

To remove the reservoir, simply lift straight up.

If more questions, Ask!

:o)

#--> I recommend Eric Svendson's adapter and thermometer for E61s (also Silvia) : easy surfing!
# My photo albums have moved to     http://picasaweb.google.com/krislema2
Coffeekid93

Posted Sun Jul 16, 2006, 11:58pm

Thanks Kristi now i have realised that no water is dripping out when i even choke the machine.... Not to sure if i should take apart my solis incase i do anything to it and can't fix it. If i'm not asking for too much,  Is it possible for you to do a picture procedure? That will make it easier to take apart.
Kristi
Kristi

Posted Mon Jul 17, 2006, 11:04am

Sure - just be patient with me - I'll try to do it later today, in spurts.

Remember, anything you do to your machine is AT YOUR OWN RISK.  I am handy with tools and this is a 2 year old machine.

#--> I recommend Eric Svendson's adapter and thermometer for E61s (also Silvia) : easy surfing!
Kristi
Kristi

Posted Mon Jul 17, 2006, 10:49pm

This should get you to a step by step process of getting to your Solis OPV.   Holler if you have probs with the link!

View Solis SL70 OPV

Click on the first photo - the brief comments are at the bottom.  Use -next- to look at following photos.   Let me know if something is not clear or is confusing.

Remember, THIS IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY!   BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!

Nov 13, 2008  This link no longer works and I do not have the pictures.  Sorry.

Coffeekid93

Posted Mon Jul 17, 2006, 11:49pm

How do you remove it when you say it's hard to remove by the "tabs at top. this made it hard to remove!"?

This has nothing to do with the OPV thing. I'm wondering if there is any other PF that will fit the solis?
Kristi
Kristi

Posted Tue Jul 18, 2006, 10:45am

Coffeekid93 Said:

How do you remove it when you say it's hard to remove by the "tabs at top. this made it hard to remove!"?

This has nothing to do with the OPV thing. I'm wondering if there is any other PF that will fit the solis?

Posted July 17, 2006 link

It took me a while to realize you were talking about the back under plate - spring it out - ie by pulling in the middle it becomes a curve and is shorter end to end.  This allows the end grouves to free themselves from the sides, but it still takes a little gentle bending and moving it around to get it out.  Do this up close, not at arms length.  Look at the problem in front of you and figure out how to do it.

Other pf?  There are Solis replacement pfs available.  The only other one I have looked at is the La Spaz which is 53mm, but from the pictures it looks like the pf tabs are lower and thus wouldn't work in a Solis head.  I know that the Swiss 15 year old Elespresso pf  works fine, but I don't know if that company still uses 53mm.

Coffeekid93

Posted Tue Jul 18, 2006, 10:21pm

How much do i turn the OPV?

The tab from the La Spaz PF doesn't look that low or is it?
Kristi
Kristi

Posted Wed Jul 19, 2006, 10:53am

Hi, sorry for the delay in getting back to you.  I put a pic of the exploded (dirty) OPV up on the album.  I took mine all the way off, soaked it in CleanCaf decalcify overnight and re-assembled it.  I am still tightening it, that is, tuning for the best setting.  I went way down on my grind setting and am now backing off.

I still have between 1/8" and 3/16" gap in the OPV nut, but I will probably wind up with about 1/8"

In the picture you can see the white gunk they put on the threads, which is what makes it so hard to get off.

I am running my machine for a few days with the back plate off so I can easily adjust the OPV.

Hope all that helps!

---

""The tab from the La Spaz PF doesn't look that low or is it?""
Dunno.  Buy one and tell us!!!  :o)

Maybe some fine dealer who sells both would try it and tell us!!!!  LOL

EDIT I should know Friday...
---

I have a Solis gasket and a rubber backstopper on order from espressoparts.com  .  I needed some cleaning stuff so ordered that.  I like CleanCaf because it's blue.

showing page 2 of 29 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > The Solis SL70...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.426992893219)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+