Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
going crazy over my machine choice!
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > going crazy over...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
newf

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Duetto
Grinder: Vario
Posted Thu Aug 27, 2009, 2:03pm
Subject: Re: going crazy over my machine choice!

I actually did just talk to Mary to find the price of the Duetto sounds good... now to the wife 'pleeeaaassse!'
The Vivaldis are out for me, I am not keen on the plastic, just for me, others I am sure love it.

The reading I have done in the last 24hrs has convinced me of... nothing. Only that I would most likely be happy with any of them.
An HX with the E-61 thermometer would be great as well as the Duetto. the double boiler machines seem to have great specs, but then using any of the machines is a learning and perfecting curve no matter the type.
So now I am questioning should I go with the 1K Office lever and learn on it or?

Anyone want to comment on the Expobar Brewtus III-V refurb or the Office lever?
Or how about the lightly used Rocket Giotto?
geeze then I go look at the Fiorenzato and I really like them.

crazy I am, yep then the dual boilers come to haunt and it continues.
Thanks again
T
 View Profile Link to this post
alexstream

Posted Thu Aug 27, 2009, 4:34pm

man, if I may, I think that in that price range, and with the machines you are looking at, you can't go wrong.

Those are all excellent prosumer machines. Which ever you buy, you'll have a learning curve and will enjoy it more and more everyday and will be a pro with it in one year or so, writing reviews about what a wonderful machine it is.
Jmanespresso
Jmanespresso
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Compak K10 - Vario
Vac Pot: Yama-SY5/SY8/TCA5
Drip: V60, Beehouse, CCD
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Thu Aug 27, 2009, 4:44pm

Id skip the Office Lever.  Believe me, it was number one on my list back when I was choosing which machine.  But it seems in the "Office" line,  thebuild quality could be better.. And the Hx machines notoriously run hotter then other HX models.  If you're going with an HX, Id skip the Expobars.  There is simply better choices out there for the money.  Honestly, I think the Oscar is a better machine, IMHO.

The Brewtus has been popular, sure, but I personally dont like the idea of both the steam and brew boiler being the same size.  At 1.7l, thats definalty overkill for a brew boiler.  Im not saying it isnt a good machine, just not one I would choose, espescially with some better options out there.  But, again, this is just MHO.

The Rocket machine seem to be popular as well.. I personally never really considered them, because they were more expensive then they are currently.  Buying used is nothing bad, LOTS of us own used equipment.  but if you CAN buy new, why not?

The Fiorenzato bric, at 1k, is a deal, no doubt about it.  Be aware that both the Bric and the Volante need a dedicated 20amp circuit because of thier heater size.  You likely have a 20amp circuit or two in your kitchen, but nothing else can be on that same circuit as the machine.  Not a big deal, but if you dont have one, its certainly something to consider.

If you can get the Duetto, Id say go for it.  you mentioned not wanting to upgrade your machine after you purchase.  Its quite possible you will own an HX and not want to upgrade(Like many HX owners).. But I think it is much more possible, ALMOST garunteed you wouldnt want to upgrade from a Dual Boiler, simply because ANY machine upgrade is still going to be a dual boiler, albeit a more betterer one. :)

I personally think that Dual boiler machines offer easier learning curves out of the box.  How hard is it to type a number into a PID and lift a lever?  As incredibly easy as HX machines are, DB machines are that much easier.  I AM NOT someone who thinks using an HX is hard, Its easy.

Im always going to lean toward a Dual Boiler machine if the budget allows.  Upgradeitis is something pretty much everyone will experience at one point in time,, and as much fun as it is to upgrade, if you can get that machine in the first place, it allows for more money in your pocket.  Then again, if you REALLY want to never worry about upgrading EVER, then HERE is the machine to buy.  Your wife oughtta LOVE that request :-)

Follow Your Bliss

Coffee makes your constantly overcome your prejudices and re-evaluate your own "received wisdoms" when it comes to judging cup flavors. -Tom Owen, SweetMarias
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
TimEggers
TimEggers

Espresso: QM Anita, Cappuccino Amore
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Mazzer SJ
Vac Pot: Antique McKee, Santos
Drip: Pour Over, Bodum Presses
Roaster: RK Drum
Posted Thu Aug 27, 2009, 5:09pm

Jmanespresso Said:

I would seriously give Chris' Coffee a Call tomorrow.

Posted August 27, 2009 link

Golden advice, Chris and his staff are top notch.

Tim Eggers
http://www.facebook.com/TimEggers
http://twitter.com/Tim_Eggers
http://www.youtube.com/user/TimEggers
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
newf

Posted Thu Aug 27, 2009, 5:30pm

okay here is some more info.
Two of my good friends have nice machines.
One has a Valentina the other has a Vetrano.
I gotta say I really liked the Vetrano much better.
Quieter and it just seemed nicer to me.
So that said I want a rotary.
That and a double boiler it says the Duetto.  Hmm, more than the wife will allow.
I may have to go with  a rotary and the E61-thermometer.

Thanks for the info on the Expobar that is what I have been reading on them.
also why are there refurbed units of those and not others... kinda tells a tale on it's own.

You are right on the 20amp circuit I forgot about that, puts that out of the running.

The Speedster, ya I have gazed lustfully at that BEAUTIFUL machine!
Thanks
T
newf

Posted Thu Aug 27, 2009, 5:34pm

forgot to mention.
I would have noted the rotary thing but I just today was able to do some back to back comparo.
That's way the decision on that, plus the Quick Mill just seemed nicer... better built.
T
Jmanespresso
Jmanespresso
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Compak K10 - Vario
Vac Pot: Yama-SY5/SY8/TCA5
Drip: V60, Beehouse, CCD
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Thu Aug 27, 2009, 10:39pm

Well I have to say, you certainly cant go wrong with a Vetrano and a Superjolly.  Definatly add the E-61 therm.  I used my machine without for the first couple of weeks, and yes, shots were great, without a doubt.  No way Id use an HX without one, now that Ive used it.  

Dont forget the Tamper, Knockbox, Grouphead Brush(the Pallo one is very nice.. Brush heads can be changed instead of threowing out the whole brush) and Steaming pitcher.  These are as required as a comfortable bed.  A couple nice espresso cups are always nice to have.  Nouva Point are my cups of choice.  ACF brand cups are also very popular cups.  Here is a link to them.  NP cups can be found at SweetMarias.com, among other places.  Chris also have a small, though nice, selection of cups.

I would also suggest the Rancilio Bottomless Portafilter. A Very useful tool in learning to pull a top notch shot, and the Ones Chris sells are experlty crafted pieces of art.  Made by Verna Designs.  I think there is a link on Chris' site, and there is an article over on HomeBarista about Lino Verna and the work he does.  Easily the nicest Bottomless PFs out there,, and besides a La Marzocco, the Rancilio bottomless is my favorite.

Do you have hard water?  Water for your machine should be in the 3-4grains of hardness area.  Chris will give you one package of test strips, but Id order a bunch of them, in case you have to do a couple tests.  DONT use RO water or Distilled.  The water needs some mineral content for the coffee to taste properly, but not too much, because descaling an HX isnt the most fun thing to do, and should be avoided if possible.  Chris sells in-line filtration/softening kits if you are going to do a hard-plumb, and he also sells a Flo-Jet pump, if you wish to use the 5-gallon water bottle setup, and you can use the In-line systems he has with a flo-jet setup as well.  Going with a Flo-jet, an Accumulator is something you should also have on the line.  There is a couple threads here on how they work, but in short, they keep pressure in the line so you have a steady flow of water to the machine.  Without one, the flo-jet needs to kick on throughout the shot, and you can see some pressure fluctuations during the shot, as other users have noticed.  I personally wouldn't use a Flo-jet setup without one.

And lastly, even though you have a local roaster(Lucky!), dont be afraid to try different coffees from online roasters. There is just way to much awesome coffee out there to not try new stuff.  I personally only order from a certain roaster for like 2, maybe three orders, then go to a new one.  ill go back to my favorites, yes, but there have been very few coffees that I bought that I flat did not like.

Follow Your Bliss

Coffee makes your constantly overcome your prejudices and re-evaluate your own "received wisdoms" when it comes to judging cup flavors. -Tom Owen, SweetMarias
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > going crazy over...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.47528886795)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+