Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Help using La Peppina espresso machine
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Help using La...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
polytch
polytch
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Drip: French Press
Posted Fri Dec 6, 2002, 1:19pm
Subject: Help using La Peppina espresso machine

I recently bought a used La Peppina Espresso machine. I have never used one of these models before and I don't have the manual that goes with it. Does anyone know how to use one of these machines?

email me

polytch: pep1.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
chapeti
chapeti

Espresso: Cuadra, Quick Mill Andreja...
Posted Fri Jan 10, 2003, 5:49pm
Subject: Re: Help using La Peppina espresso machine

I've had a couple of these in the past year or so.  They're built without ant thermal sensors, so it's not an exact science.  For the espresso part, let the water boil, then shut the machine down for a half a minute, then pull the lever slowly down, then let go.  This one forces the water through the grounds when the spring-loaded lever goes back up.  For frothing, you tighten the lid while the machine is on and steam will come out once the pressure builds up.  I didn't care for the steam performance, but I have a stand-alone steamer to use for that anyway.
 View Profile Link to this post
dmreed

Espresso: stove top Italian
Grinder: cheapo DeLonghi
Vac Pot: Silex also French Press
Drip: several
Posted Mon Feb 2, 2004, 5:47pm

any maintenance/parts documentation available anywhere for the La Peppina?
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JavaHog

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Peppina
Posted Fri Mar 12, 2004, 9:58pm

I actually have some documentation that came with my La Peppina.  If interested, I can share it with you.  It is quite old.  I tried contacting the company that it was originally bought from (I purchased mine at a garage sale for $15).  I have not been able to track down any spare parts.  I'm starting to have a little wear on mine and would really like to get some replacement rubber gaskets for the steamer unit and the top of the boiler.  I'm also seeing now some bubbling steam coming from the top nut on the steamer arm.

I've seen reviews about folks not liking the steamer, but I love it.  Okay, so it is the only official espresso machine I've ever owned (outside of the ole Krups machine).  It makes a wonderful espresso with only one or two pumps (much more than that it gets a little bitter).

Have you been able to get any spare parts yet?
polytch
polytch

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Drip: French Press
Posted Wed May 4, 2005, 2:30pm

Thanks to everyone who helped me figure out my machine. For anyone else looking for information and/or parts related to this machine, they have everything at ABC Espresso Co. in Sun Valley, CA. Through ABC I was able to get a new gasket, steam wand, and filter basket.

ABC: 9063 San Fernando Road, Sun Valley, CA 91352. (818)768-8300 --  Parts man is Sergio
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
JavaHog

Posted Wed May 4, 2005, 2:39pm

Wow!  I tried contacting them a while ago and they never returned my call or emails.  Thank you so much for the contact information.  I'll be calling them tomorrow!

Cheers,

JavaHog
ghal
ghal

Grinder: Solis
Drip: TechniVorm Clubline
Posted Sun Jun 18, 2006, 2:50am
Subject: Re: Help using La Peppina espresso machine (ABC Espresso)

Apparently no longer in biz...sigh. Attempt to send them e-mail failed. I need a new rubber (?) gasket for the top of the boiler tank on my Peppina.  Also having problems with Lever.  Any and all suggestions gratefully received.
-Gene Halaburt
Newton Center, MA 02459
rice

Espresso: Fenice, Minore
Grinder: Mini, Zass 156SW
Roaster: fresh
Posted Sun Jun 18, 2006, 7:39pm

I've only used Luca's machine for 4-5 days and the Peppina surprised me with the shots it brewed. Really good once I played about with temps and number of pulls. In the end I was going with 1.5 pulls of the lever for about 25-30ml of espresso (total) from the double basket. Hardly any crema, light in colour and which disappeared almost instantly.

But the taste in the cup was acceptable as espresso, awesome as coffee. Perhaps a little cold, but good in flavour. Changed my perception of lever machines and I've been on the lookout for a 2nd hand one since.

Home Barista has a dedicated lever machine section and even a Lever Machine World Domination Plot shoutout thread, mwahahaha!.
http://www.home-barista.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=33

http://www.home-barista.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=533
ghal
ghal

Grinder: Solis
Drip: TechniVorm Clubline
Posted Mon Jun 19, 2006, 3:36am

Heard back from:

Home Espresso Repair
6501 Phinney ave n.
Seattle, Wa 98103
206-789-9513
www.espressorepair.com

No parts or help re: Peppina.
BUT:
Dug around in box of stuff that Peppina came in  and what did I find but:

1. Replacement ring for top water container
  2. Felt ring about 1-1/2" O.D., about 1/4" thick
  3. Small rubber (?) washer about 1/4" O.D .

But  still need work on lever action, which even Clark Kent would find difficult to pull down.
Any  experienced recommendation on who I should contact for help would be most appreciated.

Gene
Boston suburb
JavaHog

Posted Mon Jun 19, 2006, 9:04am

You're lucky to have found the extras.  I've been looking for a replacement ring for the top of the boiler.  I'm also looking for the rubber ring that goes around the steaming unit and the felt ring.

I've tried all over and haven't had success.  At one point, I thought that ABC was still around but I cannot find them either.

However, and here's the good part, Deluxe Coffee & Pasta, 9071 San Fernando Road, Sun Valley, CA 91352 - 1412, 818-768-7657, was right next door to ABC Espresso Co. (which is now out of business for about 7 years).  Deluxe is familiar with FEAR's La Peppina and the two folks there Sergio and his brother Hugo are the technicians who work on them.

I am expecting a call back today and will update...

Cheers,

JavaHog
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Help using La...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.268617868423)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+