Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
LA Marzocco portafilter
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > LA Marzocco...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Jmanespresso
Jmanespresso
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Compak K10 - Vario
Vac Pot: Yama-SY5/SY8/TCA5
Drip: V60, Beehouse, CCD
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Tue Apr 21, 2009, 7:03pm
Subject: LA Marzocco portafilter

Are La Marzocco portafilters 57mm or 58mm?  Im confused, because I see some people using LM portafilters for their E-61 machines, but I see on ebay, or craigslist, or on EPNW, that the groupheads are 57mm, and EPNW says thier baskets accept a 57mm tamper?

So whats up?  Reason I ask, is because I found a super price for a 15 degree LM portafilter that I really want to buy to use on My anita.  Can I use a LM portafilter on my Anita?  Do I need to buy a 57mm tamper?

FWIW, I always thought that La Marzocco portafilters and groupheads were 58mm.  Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Follow Your Bliss

Coffee makes your constantly overcome your prejudices and re-evaluate your own "received wisdoms" when it comes to judging cup flavors. -Tom Owen, SweetMarias
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
JonR10
JonR10
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Apr 21, 2009, 7:33pm
Subject: Re: LA Marzocco portafilter

What size is the tamper you use now?  Have you measured it?
Have you measured your baskets?  

Could it be possible that the baskets are 58mm and the tampers are 57mm (roughly).

Sorry - I kid.  
If the tamper and the basket were both 58mm then it wouldn't fit, would it?  

LaMarzocco uses a 58mm basket just like your Anita.  The LaMarz portafilters have thicker ears (or maybe they just set a bit lower on the PF body - I don't recall).  My LaMarz PF's do fit my E61-type group but it locks in at 7 o'clock instead of 6 (it doesn't roatate as far).  Some folks have trouble getting the LaMarz PF to fit safely&securely enough to pull a shot but this can be managed by cutting a little metal off the LaMarz PF (google for tips)

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Jmanespresso
Jmanespresso

Posted Tue Apr 21, 2009, 7:46pm

Thanks Jon, I had hoped I would be able to use a LM Portafilter on Anita, I figured I was right, just wanted to make sure.

Ive heard a thinner gasket, like a 8mm instead of the standard 8.5mm will solve it, but that shaving the PF is a garunteed fit, granted you go slow and are careful.  No dremel this time I gather!

Cool.  looks like Ill order a LM Portafilter this week.  The one Im going to order s on espresso liquidators, and it isnt the newer rubber handled PF, which is what i was originally after, but I mostly want the 15 degree angle.  Im likely going to have Juanjo craft me a wooden handle, and I have been waiting so I can get the handle made for the 15 degree LM.

Its little upgrades like this that keep the itis far far away.. at least for me

Follow Your Bliss

Coffee makes your constantly overcome your prejudices and re-evaluate your own "received wisdoms" when it comes to judging cup flavors. -Tom Owen, SweetMarias
khuzdul

Posted Tue Apr 21, 2009, 8:19pm

The confusion is not being specific about what part of the "portafilter" is being discussed.  There is the portafilter (body), the portafilter handle, the portafilter spout, retaining spring and the portafilter basket.

The La Marzocco portafilter has the same general dimensions as the "standard" E61 portafilter.  However, it has just slightly more distance from the "ears" to the top of the portafilter.  Some E61 groupheads will need a thinner gasket (I believe 8mm) in order for the La Marzocco portafilter to fit properly.  The thinner gasket will make the "stock" portafilters fit poorly.  Alternatively, some people file down the ears of the La Marzocco portafilter, or file down the top of the La Marzocco  portfilter allowing the "stock" E61 gaskets (I believe 8.5mm) and portafilters to be used as the E61 group head configuration was not modified in any way.  For liability reasons, most vendors disavow filing down the portafilter, as it is responsible to contain 8 to 9 bars of very close to boiling water.  Any of the above is what you will need to use the stock La Marzocco portafilter with your Anita.  I think that La Marzocco Lineas actually sells 6mm, 7mm and 8mm stock gaskets.  The larger width gasket are replaced into the groupheads when the portafilters have worn down a mm or 2 from heavy use (how many insertions does it take to wear down 1 mm or 2 mm of brass...), which may be indicative as to why La Marzocco have non standard "taller" stock portafilter bodies.

The portafilter handle is what you hold onto.  The La Marzocco handles are angled, instead of sticking straight out of the body, which some people find more ergonomic.

Inside a grove around the top of the portafilter usually is a thin springy wire, which is the retaining spring.  This helps hold the filter basket into the portafilter when knocking out the grounds, preventing the basket from spinning when polishing a puck, etc.

I think that the portafilter basket is what you are talking about.  This is what holds the espresso grounds and what the tamper is inserted into.  If you get a basket with a pronounced retaining ridge, which the retaining spring slips into, then while the portafilter body may fit into a La Marzocco group head or an E61 grouphead, it may only accept a 57mm tamper (apparently the La Marzocco basket at EPNW and perhaps other "OEM" baskets), or even 56mm tamper (stock La Pavoni PUB baskets I got with my machine).  If you get a basket without a retaining ridge, than the 58mm tamper will fit fine.  You can place a 58mm ridgeless portafilter basket, a 57mm ridged portafilter basket or a 56mm deep ridged portafilter basket into a La Pavoni PUB stock portafilter, an E61 portafilter and I assume a La Marzocco stock portafilter.  While a ridge will hold the filter more securely into the body, most people find that the ridgeless basket stays in just fine.  You may be able to just use the portafilter baskets you currently have in the La Marzocco portafilter body and continue to use your tamper, though you will have to figure out if you want to file the top of the La Marzocco portafilter, the portafilter ears, or put a thinner gasket into your machine.
 View Profile Link to this post
Jmanespresso
Jmanespresso

Posted Tue Apr 21, 2009, 8:30pm

I would most likely file the Pf itself, so that I can still use my rancilio bottomless portafilter.

I have a ridgeless triple, and a standard E-61 double(or whatever came with Anita) and a Synesso 16gr is getting ordered tmrw(I forgot today for some reason).  So, the baskets I have, fit with my 58mm tamper, so ill use them if the LM basket doesnt work with my tamper.  That is,IF there even is a basket included with the PF.  I dont think there is, given the awesome price of 20 bucks. neato.

I want the 15 degree angled handle.  I use the WDT, and I think it will help keep the pf straight.  Plus hey,, they look cool, angled down like that, dont you think?

Jeff

Follow Your Bliss

khuzdul

Posted Thu Jun 4, 2009, 3:39pm

I know that some time has passed, so hopefully your La Marzocco portafilter is working well for  you.  I picked up a large number of La Marzocco baskets, and while sorting them, I realize that in my previous post, it was not entirely accurate in regards to the La Marzocco baskets, so I thought I would post a correction.

La Marzocco makes two different styles of baskets.  The "traditional" style and the "Swift" style.

The traditional style comes in two sizes, single and double.  The single basket (at least the one that I have, I don't make singles much so I never really played with it before) will allow a 58mm or smaller tamper piston down past the ridge for a proper tamp, but not into the lower area where the bulk of the coffee grounds sit.  The double only allows a 57mm or smaller tamper piston down past the ridge to allow for a proper tamp, but again, not all the way into the lower area where the bulk of the coffee grounds sit.

The Swift style was made when they came out with the Swift grinder.  As the Swift grinder tamps throughout the dosing, the baskets need to accommodate the tamper piston throughout almost its entire depth, and the tamper piston size is 58mm.
khuzdul

Posted Thu Jun 4, 2009, 3:45pm

From left to right, a "traditional" La Marzocco single, a generic single and a "Swift" La Marzocco single.

khuzdul: DSC_2612.JPG
(Click for larger image)
khuzdul

Posted Thu Jun 4, 2009, 3:48pm

From left to right, a "traditional" La Marzocco double, a Vibiemme double and a "Swift" La Marzocco double.

khuzdul: DSC_2613.JPG
(Click for larger image)
Juanjo
Juanjo

Espresso: Brugnetti Aurora
Grinder: Mahlkoenig K30
Roaster: custom nut roaster
Posted Thu Jun 4, 2009, 4:02pm

Jmanespresso Said:

I would most likely file the Pf itself, so that I can still use my rancilio bottomless portafilter.

I have a ridgeless triple, and a standard E-61 double(or whatever came with Anita) and a Synesso 16gr is getting ordered tmrw(I forgot today for some reason).  So, the baskets I have, fit with my 58mm tamper, so ill use them if the LM basket doesnt work with my tamper.  That is,IF there even is a basket included with the PF.  I dont think there is, given the awesome price of 20 bucks. neato.

I want the 15 degree angled handle.  I use the WDT, and I think it will help keep the pf straight.  Plus hey,, they look cool, angled down like that, dont you think?

Jeff

Posted April 21, 2009 link

Jeff,

I bought 3 15degree La Marzocco portafiters and they are 58mm.
and they are deep anough to fit 21gr. triple baskets.

Juanjo
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
Koppaukino

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Super
Grinder: Rocky (No Doser)
Vac Pot: None
Drip: MoccaMaster
Roaster: None
Posted Mon Mar 5, 2012, 5:05pm

Hi,  Does the LA Marzocco portafilter fit the VBM domobar Super  without any mods (filing of locking fins)  Don't want to stop the PF at 7 o clock when fitted.   And further, what basket height does it take?  Will it take the VST 20 G ridge less?  The original VBM PF does not take the 20 G Ridgeless.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > LA Marzocco...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.44781088829)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+