Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Rancilio Sivia vs La Pavoni Professional PLH
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rancilio Sivia...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
stellina

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: La Pavoni Europicola
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Posted Wed Apr 1, 2009, 2:36am
Subject: Rancilio Sivia vs La Pavoni Professional PLH

Hi.
I'm looking for an espresso machine to buy for personal use. Currenty I'm between these two models. Can you please tell me which one is the best? As I searched in the forum, I saw that silvia is one of the best machines out there although la pavoni is far more beautiful.

thank you,
stellina
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Apr 1, 2009, 5:48am
Subject: Re: Rancilio Sivia vs La Pavoni Professional PLH

Silvia is a good, basic starter machine. It USED to be the best bang for your buck but rising costs have pushed many other machines into a tight running. There should be a "blow out" sale on Silvia right now as the 2009 units have started shipping and the retailers are clearing out old stock. That said however, the two machines you are comparing are not "equal" The Silvia is a semi auto machine with a vibe pump, the La Pavoni is a lever operated machine in which YOU provide the pressure, not a pump. It is sort of like the difference between a car with an auto transmission and a stick. One does some of the work for you but the other is totally in your hands as to the performance you will get out of it.

What is your projected use?
How many drinks / day?
What type of drinks?
Are you going to make drinks for one person or several at a time?
Are MILK based drinks important to you?
Do you want to REALLY get involved in drink making or would you rather that the machine helps you?
What is your price range?
Have you counted on spending at least $300 for a new grinder if you do not already have one?
Do you have a source of fresh coffee?

Fresh coffee in vital, you will not get fresh coffee at StarBucks or your mega mart. You will need access to a local roaster, roast yourself or buy from a good roaster over the internet.

Answering the above questions will go a long way toward pointing you in the direction you wish to go.

Read http://coffeegeek.com/guides/howtobuyanespressomachine this series of articles will help explain some of the many choices you need to make and will help you define where you want to go.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
stellina

Posted Wed Apr 1, 2009, 6:32am

thank you for your answer.
Well the reason why I would buy a pavoni instead of the silvia is because it looks more traditional and more beautiful. As I saw, some of the pavoli models are approximately in the price of silvia and according to the articles I've read in this site, the coffee quality of the lever-driven machines  is comparable to the pump-driven ones.
As for the questions you asked me:
- The espresso machine is just for personal use
- I'll make an average of 3-5 coffees per day
- Normally, I'll make a maximum of two coffees at the same time
- Not really, we don't like milk-based coffee, we are interesting only for espresso
- Yes, I think I will enjoy it more if I have to do some of the job in order to make the coffee
- I don't have a grinder. I was thinking about to spend 650-800$ for the machine and 300-400$ for a grinder.  I'm between rancilio rocky and la pavoni jdl grinder
- Yes, there are several coffeshops around here where I can buy fresh coffee.

thanks
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Apr 1, 2009, 6:56am

Please do read the link I posted, it answers a lot of questions you haven't even thought of yet, but from your answers, you sound like you would really like the La Pavoni. I must say that I love they way they look also

You are in the right ball park with the grinder also, please consider a used commercial grinder, they provide much more performance for the money spent but sometimes they look a little beat up. That can be fixed with a coat of paint and there is rarely anything other than new grinding burrs and a good cleaning that needs to be done to them to make them operate properly. They are a large step up from the Rocky, for the same or slightly more money.

I only know what I have read about the new Varrio but it sounds like it is going to be a very good grinder, I think it is worth taking a look at.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Wed Apr 1, 2009, 7:44am

stellina Said:

Can you please tell me which one is the best?

Posted April 1, 2009 link

Any "What is best?" question is highly subjective -- no matter what you're asking about.  Please make sure you qualify what you mean by "best" by including your needs/wants/budget etc.
xdavez
xdavez
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: La Spaziale Vivaldi II
Grinder: Mazzer mini
Vac Pot: none
Drip: Technivorm
Posted Wed Apr 1, 2009, 8:26am

before any consideration of a mchine a good espresso grinder is the priority, IMO

figure about $300

a la pavoni lever machine is MUCH more difficult to use.  take that into account.

dave
PJK
PJK
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Wed Apr 1, 2009, 10:53am

Hi Stellina,

Welcome to the forum.  I agree with all the other replies.

Before I got my Silvia I had the use of my brother in law's La Pavoni Europicola.  It is similar to the profesional (smaller boiler and no pressure gauge).

I will agree that the La Pavoni is more attractive.  I was bummed to see "mine" leave.  

I just want to caution that with all the talk of Silvia being fussy and tweeky I think that the La Pavoni will take that to yet a higher level.

If you are ready for all of that I'd say enjoy the La'Pavoni.  It is a thing of beauty and when you master it I am sure the coffee will be at least the equal of the Silvia.

Phil

PS: There was some mention of grinders in the other replies.  I want to add that I have the use of an SJ at work and while my Rocky is a decient grinder I would swap it for an SJ in a heartbeat.

Philip J. Keleshian
carlsilver

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola/La...
Grinder: la Pavoni Jolly/Ascaso i...
Vac Pot: Normax
Drip: Melitta (manual)
Roaster: no
Posted Wed Apr 1, 2009, 11:09am

I agree and vote for the Pavoni. And I can assure you itīs not that difficult to work with. You have a lot of useful information in the net to teach you how to master it. The most difficult thing will be to dial in the grinder. Once that done and with a good grinder (the Pavoni JDL is a good match and doserless is better for small quantities) you soon will be making very good espresso with it. I advise you also to buy a good tamper (the plastic one that comes with the machine is difficult to master).
Also as Calblacksmith pointed out fresh coffee is vital with the La Pavoni!
Last but not least the Pavoni is at its best to make 1 shot at a time and 2 for session at most...For more drinks or for 2 drinks at the same time I'd opt for the Silvia (or a Gaggia).
stellina

Posted Thu Apr 2, 2009, 12:14am

First thank you all for your answers. :-)

takeshi Said:

Any "What is best?" question is highly subjective -- no matter what you're asking about.  Please make sure you qualify what you mean by "best" by including your needs/wants/budget etc.

Posted April 1, 2009 link

Let me rephrase, "which of the two will produce better espresso using the same grinder, the same coffee supposing that I know how to use both machines correctly?"

I know that I compare two completely different technologies. I'm also wondering why the lever-driven machines are not as popular as the pump-driven. I didn't even know that they existed before I found this forum and  no stores here in Greece sell them. From your answers I guess this is due to the fact that are more difficult to use.
But I really like the 'la pavoni' so I would like to know if it worth its price and I'm not only buying the design.

thank you,
Stellina
carlsilver

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola/La...
Grinder: la Pavoni Jolly/Ascaso i...
Vac Pot: Normax
Drip: Melitta (manual)
Roaster: no
Posted Thu Apr 2, 2009, 2:29am

stellina Said:

which of the two will produce better espresso using the same grinder, the same coffee supposing that I know how to use both machines correctly?

Posted April 2, 2009 link

There is probably not a definitive answer to that. In the Coffeegeek's review for the Pavoni some reviewrs preferred its espresso while others preferred pump machine's (namely the Livia which is a better machine than the Silvia).

stellina Said:

I would like to know if it worth its price and I'm not only buying the design.

Posted April 2, 2009 link

For reliability and quality of espresso yes, it's worth. But it is rather less convenient if you have to make more than 1 shot for session.
Also know that the quality of the shot is identical in the Professional and in the less expensive Europiccola.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rancilio Sivia...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.463413953781)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+