Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
New La Marzocco Linea owners thread...
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > New La Marzocco...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Tbp
Tbp
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Olympia Cremina Lever 67
Grinder: Rio Normale (Mazzer SJ)
Vac Pot: Krups Press
Posted Sun Feb 8, 2009, 1:54am
Subject: Re: New La Marzocco Linea owners thread...

JV Said:

So I figured if the GS/3 owners have a thread...Let the crazy coffeegeeks that own a Linea in the home or garage or where ever the Linea beast is fitted...haha  to have a thread :-)

Any Linea owners out there?

My rebuilt Linea - keeps me fueled and buzzed day and night...

Posted June 27, 2008 link

Your Linea looks great, nice job.  I'm refurbing a '98 LM Linea AV and I wanted to ask you a question.  What year is your machine, what condition was it in when you got it and how much work and parts did you have to put into it?
 View Profile Link to this post
JV
JV

Espresso: La Marzocco 2EE, Brasilia...
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Mahlkoenig...
Drip: French Press
Posted Tue Feb 10, 2009, 8:57am

Tbp Said:

Your Linea looks great, nice job.  I'm refurbing a '98 LM Linea AV and I wanted to ask you a question.  What year is your machine, what condition was it in when you got it and how much work and parts did you have to put into it?

Posted February 8, 2009 link

Hi Todd.  Thanks for the kind words.  My La Marzocco is a 08/2003 (this has the welded boilers)  The condition when i got it was pretty good. It came from a coffee shop and the only reason why the person sold it was because he switched over to an automatic machine.  I think it was roughly $500 in parts maybe less I really can't remember. The most time consuming was taking it all apart and descaling every known bit and then putting the machine all back together.

On a really sad note, I will be moving to a new apartment in the next few months (moving closer to my job in DC) and will no longer have a 220volt outlet. I am completely devastated!!!!  I will have to drain the machine completely and cover it in a silk cloth and keep it in one of the walk-in closets.  

My other option is to find an electrician or someone that actually knows what they are doing to wire me a 220 power supply in the new apartment without telling the property management LOLOL.  

If that isn't doable, I'll be on the search for a used 1 group rotary drivin commercial machine (maybe an APPIA 1 Group) with standard house plug and 15amps.

I just can't fathom not having espresso at home anymore :-(  Not having the Linea on a 24/7 basis is going to kill me.    HELP!!!!  hahaha
kschendel

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Maestro
Roaster: Freshroast
Posted Tue Feb 10, 2009, 9:31am

JV Said:

I will be moving to a new apartment in the next few months (moving closer to my job in DC) and will no longer have a 220volt outlet.

Posted February 10, 2009 link

Depending on how much juice the thing actually draws, another alternative might be a 110 to 220 step-up transformer.  Google turned up a bunch at more or less reasonable prices.  The only problem is that you'll draw twice as much current at 110 volts, and it's entirely possible that your apartment circuits won't support the load.  Might be worth looking into, though.
JV
JV

Posted Tue Feb 10, 2009, 9:40am

kschendel Said:

Depending on how much juice the thing actually draws, another alternative might be a 110 to 220 step-up transformer.  Google turned up a bunch at more or less reasonable prices.  The only problem is that you'll draw twice as much current at 110 volts, and it's entirely possible that your apartment circuits won't support the load.  Might be worth looking into, though.

i thought about that but i don't think it can handle the 3000watts

:-(
danetrainer

Espresso: GS3MP, CC1
Grinder: M7k, SJ, T80, KF804
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever
Roaster: Ambex YM2, Behmor
Posted Tue Feb 10, 2009, 1:50pm

If it were me...I would shut the circuit breaker off, slide the stove out and branch a temporary circuit off of that
outlet (or the electric dryer outlet).  Just don't run the two at the same time (if you're single and live alone this should not be a problem...after all coffee comes first!).
JV
JV

Posted Tue Feb 10, 2009, 1:56pm

danetrainer Said:

If it were me...I would shut the circuit breaker off, slide the stove out and branch a temporary circuit off of that
outlet (or the electric dryer outlet).  Just don't run the two at the same time (if you're single and live alone this should not be a problem...after all coffee comes first!).

It's a Gas Stove!  

No hope :-(

LOL.
reel_barista
reel_barista
Expertise: Professional

Roaster: soon to be a JOPER
Posted Sun Mar 22, 2009, 7:14am

hello linea lovers, i have just been givin the possibility of doing a custom job on a linea and have loads of ideas and been wanting to do this for ages to a 2 group but this one is a 3 group. the problem is the reliability of a uk marzocco parts supplier, any ideas? im more than happy to get parts from OS and happy to take ideas for internal mods, i have PID a 2 grp and a 3 grp and put .8 flow rest in the 3grp and i know the lineas inside and out but want this one to be different.

cheers
sreppok

Espresso: La Marzocco Linea
Grinder: 2x Mazzer Super Jolly
Drip: Fetco Commercial
Posted Sun Mar 22, 2009, 1:55pm
Subject: Linea Info

Hello guys!

Ok, so here is the deal ...

I recently started working at a shop which has a nice rebuilt eBay 4 group Linea.  My experience with the Linea is learning how to work the machine for a month, and then bravely tearing into it to replace grouphead washers.  Thats it. My next project is to rebuild each steam wand, using kits from Espressoparts.com.  So far, I seem to be the only one who wants to mess around with a machine which begs to be messed with!

Three questions, if I may:  
1) Is there a forum for troubleshooting with the Linea, or should I post questions here?
2) We don't have a factory manual, and I am not sure who La Marzocco's distributor in the US is to get one. (I have orange book.)
3) Weird question:  What is the button with the Wavy lines do?  I thought it was hot water from steam boiler, but I do not have a spigot.  Is it possible that is was taken off?  When I hit the button, I hear a pump, but nothing seems to happen, except for the pressure in the boiler increasing.

Happy Brewing!
Zach

Happy Brewing!
Zach
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JeremyR
JeremyR
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: yes
Grinder: yes
Vac Pot: yes
Drip: occasionally
Roaster: yes
Posted Sun Mar 22, 2009, 10:54pm
Subject: Re: Linea Info

I have a line 2AV, a really old one. It's in very good condition, I don't think it's had much use.
It has the old style brain, and big old flowmeters.
I just need a house to put it in, it's in storage...
fredfal

Espresso: Linea 1EE
Grinder: K10 WBC
Vac Pot: yes
Drip: Bodum pour-over
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Sat May 2, 2009, 12:45pm

My setup.  The B2 and the Mini-e will soon go.  Strangely, I have the same cabinet as the OP.

fredfal: coffee_bar.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > New La Marzocco...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.443299055099)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+