Espresso: Espresso Machines
Installing an OPV in a Nuova Simonelli Oscar
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Installing an...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
john_
john_
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale, Cremina
Grinder: Mazzer Major,  Pavoni PGC
Posted Sun Mar 29, 2009, 6:01am
Subject: Re: Installing an OPV in a Nuova Simonelli Oscar

tpowells Said:

I wanted to add an OPV to the Oscar and, after doing some reading, decided to do it a bit differently than the other descriptions on CG and HB.

Posted March 22, 2009 link

Looks very nice.  Can you remind us of where the other mods from CG and HB are, and elaborate on how yours is different, and what made you decide to change?  Might be helpful for anyone thinking of giving this a try (like me!).  Thanks.
 View Profile Link to this post
tpowells

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Mar 29, 2009, 12:47pm

john_ Said:

Looks very nice.  Can you remind us of where the other mods from CG and HB are, and elaborate on how yours is different, and what made you decide to change?

Posted March 29, 2009 link

Rooting around to find the existing pressure relief valve.

Pictures of an installation of a similar OPV, but at a different place in the water path than mine.

A different take on putting the OPV in the same place in the path as above, but possibly simpler to install.

So, the two obvious places to put the OPV on the cold side of the HX are 1) between the pump and the Gicar controlled solenoid and 2) between the solenoid and the HX input to the boiler.  I did it the first way, and the other posters did it the second way.  I did it the way I did because it seemed easier to accomplish, and because it put the OPV in a position that is a bit easier to adjust.  I don't think there is a a functional difference.
john_
john_
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale, Cremina
Grinder: Mazzer Major,  Pavoni PGC
Posted Sun Mar 29, 2009, 6:43pm

Aha, I get it now -- thanks!
lax4ever

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Mar 31, 2009, 8:25pm

Not to sound like an idiot, but I noticed you had the steam line disconnected, does it stay that way and hook back up via a different line now or did you just have to disconnect it to get the front panel off the machine?  Just FYI I just won an oscar off of ebay ($475, heck yeah) and it should be arriving any day now so I want to get my hands dirty ASAP.  Most likely this will be a down the line project but I just want to learn everything I can about the machine and what's working for everyone else.  Seems like they are great machines that just get passed over for their pretty cousins that are twice the price.
tpowells

Posted Wed Apr 1, 2009, 9:41am

lax4ever Said:

... I noticed you had the steam line disconnected, does it stay that way and hook back up via a different line now or did you just have to disconnect it to get the front panel off the machine?...

Posted March 31, 2009 link

Disconnected to get the front panel off - be sure to reconnect.  Congratulations on the new Oscar acquisition!
lax4ever

Posted Fri Apr 3, 2009, 3:38am

Where did/do you get all the rest of the connectors?  I am a total neophyte to plumbing, so can this stuff be had at the local big box store or am I looking at ordering it online?  I've got a screw in portafilter pressure valve gauge coming in as well so I will go from there to see if I even need this.  Oh, last question, would you install this over a new Sirai Pstat or do the pstat first?  I guess my oscar has a bit of old age in him so he wasn't brought up to the new standards with the commercial sirai unit and I know they are notorious for failing (don't know which one I am getting either yet).  

P.S. - Anyone who happens to be following this, you guys should check ebay lately, I saw a Pasquini Livia 90 (minus portafilter but in otherwise perfect condition) get snatched out from under me (damn ebay for allowing sniping) for $425, I got my oscar for $475 which could have been less but I didn't want to chance the auction going higher than the buy it now prie; and just saw another one go for a mere $148 today (although it looks pretty rough and will need some parts).  Deals-a-plenty right now.  Also saw a Cunill grinder just sell for $146.  I'm loving this sad economy, and please don't flame for that comment, but it is a buyer's market again and it's nice.
IrvingC
IrvingC
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: VBM Domobar Jr. DB
Grinder: Compak K3 Touch
Posted Sun Jun 7, 2009, 10:49pm

tpowells Said:

.......... It does have a pressure relief valve in the brewhead, which is not really meant to be adjustable, and even if you do adjust it for proper pressure, it's on the wrong side of the heat exchanger (the hot side).  ......... The OPV is from Chris Coffee, and is a very nice unit. .............

Posted March 22, 2009 link

Has anyone considered relocating the pressure relief valve to the cold water side and use it as an OPV? Of course, you'll need to plug the hole on the brewhead.
medulla34

Espresso: NS Oscar
Grinder: Macap MX
Posted Wed Jun 10, 2009, 7:29pm

Hmm...this is an enticing idea.  I am VERY new at home brewing and not at all mechanically inclined however I think I may need to try to do this.  I cannot seem to get a shot anywhere close to 25 seconds and I've been quite suspicious that the brew pressure is just too high.  Would you mind sending me a list of all the tools/supplies needed for this?  Im kind of embarassed to ask....I'm seriously lacking in mechanical know how.  I would assume that the "t-fitting", tubing and teflon tape can all be aquired at a local hardware store?
thanks so much

BTW, Im working with an older Oscar that has the MATER T-stat.  Don't know if that would matter?
olph4rt
olph4rt

Espresso: Modded Nemox Caffe Fenice
Grinder: Compak K6 / Nemox Lux /...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Jun 11, 2009, 2:35am

IrvingC Said:

Has anyone considered relocating the pressure relief valve to the cold water side and use it as an OPV? Of course, you'll need to plug the hole on the brewhead.

Posted June 7, 2009 link

I don't have an Oscar, or an HX for that matter, but I would guess that the relief valve's pressure setting would be much higher than that at which you'd want to brew.  In my single boiler system,  I installed the same OPV that this thread is considering, on the cold side just after the anti siphon valve.  The pressure relief is a safety item, and items in this category shouldn't be tinkered with.

|| http://thoughtcompile.blogspot.com/ | + | It takes an average of 42 beans to make a shot.  Douglas Adams wrote in the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, that 42 is the meaning of life...coincidence?
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
amish_hooligan

Posted Sat Jun 19, 2010, 9:02am

Hi,

I'm trying to do this mod myself.  Anyone out there know why tpowells separated the valve from the T fitting?  Why not keep the valve connected to the T, place the whole assembly at the base of the machine and run the reservoir tubing from there?  I emailed tpowells but he hasn't posted out here for awhile so I don't know if he'll get my question.

Thanks
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Installing an...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.410778045654)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+