Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
1st Post. 1st espresso machine
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > 1st Post. 1st...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
whitespy9

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Jan 25, 2009, 4:27pm
Subject: 1st Post. 1st espresso machine

So I have just received a krups xp2070 and have a few questions.

Is it possible to get a non pressurized portafilter for this machine?

I have a very old b&b grinder. Should I even bother upgrading? (What I have read is that w/ a pressurized portafilter the grind doesn't really matter as you can never get it fine enough)

thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
xdavez
xdavez
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: La Spaziale Vivaldi II
Grinder: Mazzer mini
Vac Pot: none
Drip: Technivorm
Posted Sun Jan 25, 2009, 5:28pm
Subject: Re: 1st Post. 1st espresso machine

You may be in for a great deal of frustration.  as this is not just a cheap 'espresso' machine it also contains a drip coffee maker.

any way you can return it for credit?

There are 'real' espresso machines out there for under $300 -- new.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
whitespy9

Posted Sun Jan 25, 2009, 7:13pm

could you explain what makes it an "unreal" espresso machine? it is pump driven.

Thanks!
whitespy9

Posted Mon Jan 26, 2009, 7:33am

ok. Don't answer that. It is going back to the store tonight. :)

Any suggestions for an espresso machine in the $300 range and grinder in the $150-$200 would be appreciated!

Thank you!

whitespy9 Said:

could you explain what makes it an "unreal" espresso machine? it is pump driven.

Thanks!

Posted January 25, 2009 link

dana_leighton
dana_leighton
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Mon Jan 26, 2009, 8:08am

whitespy9 Said:

Any suggestions for an espresso machine in the $300 range and grinder in the $150-$200 would be appreciated!

Posted January 26, 2009 link

You've got the numbers backward. If you've read around the forums, you'll notice we always talk about the importance of grinder over machine. Spending more on the grinder will keep your particle sizes more uniform, and allow you to hone your barista skills. then you can upgrade the machine, and the grinder will stay with you until you get up into the heat exchanger class of machines.

Rocky is a little expensive for you. How about the LeLit grinder:
Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

And a low-end Gaggia:
http://coffeegeek.com/reviews/consumer/gaggiaevolution

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
whitespy9

Posted Mon Jan 26, 2009, 8:15am

I've read all about the grinder being more important. I just wasn't aware there were espresso machines sub $300 that will actually make an espresso. :)

thank you for your suggestions!

dana_leighton Said:

You've got the numbers backward. If you've read around the forums, you'll notice we always talk about the importance of grinder over machine. Spending more on the grinder will keep your particle sizes more uniform, and allow you to hone your barista skills. then you can upgrade the machine, and the grinder will stay with you until you get up into the heat exchanger class of machines.

Rocky is a little expensive for you. How about the LeLit grinder:
Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

And a low-end Gaggia:
http://coffeegeek.com/reviews/consumer/gaggiaevolution

dana_leighton
dana_leighton

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Mon Jan 26, 2009, 10:55am

whitespy9 Said:

I just wasn't aware there were espresso machines sub $300 that will actually make an espresso.

What the price increase gets you is mostly stibility and convenience. Stability of temperature and consistent extraction increases as you get into heavier machines, all the way up to dual boiler machines. Convenience because the rebound time between shots will get shorter, and steaming becomes stronger and does not depend on a warm-up after pulling a shot.

Personally if it were my money, I'd wait, save another $150, and get a Rocky. But waiting is really really hard, and I do not know if I would have the strength to do so. Have fun in any event.

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
roastaroma
roastaroma

Espresso: PV Lusso, Bacchi
Grinder: Rocky Doserless
Roaster: Blue Bottle Coffee
Posted Mon Jan 26, 2009, 11:19am

Ciao Andrew,

Presently the Gaggia Evolution appears to be a suitable deal for you, for about $230 at online vendors (w/free shipping). As everyone says, though, the grinder's the thing -- at entry level, you'd spend about half the total budget on the grinder. For ex., LeLit PL53 at 1st Line Equipment, $239. (They're having a 5% off sale now, too.) Any cheaper than that, and I'd recommend either a used Rocky or a hand-cranked burr grinder like the Zassenhaus (under $100).

In espresso there is no substitute for a quality burr grinder and freshly roasted beans, ground immediately before brewing.

Buona Fortuna,
Wayne

"Non la macchina, la mano."
linnysue
linnysue

Grinder: Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Drip: Krups Moka Brew
Posted Mon Jan 26, 2009, 1:09pm

Oh, my what you all aren't doing to me.  Something is brewing within; some ancient Italian art form.  I came here to learn more about which pressure brewer to purchase, and now you all are stirring up a desire in me to learn more about this barista stuff.  My hubby thinks I'm crazy now because I'm talking about buying a $500 grinder and new espresso machine.  

So what is the best entry level espresso machine and grinder I should consider if I have a budget of $1,000?  The Rancilio Silva looks good to me.  How about that Rancilio Silva and Rocky package for $959?  Or maybe I should concentrate on one machine at a time and just invest in the grinder first, then add the espresso maker in a few months.  I do have a question about grinders.  If you purchase the Rocky with the doser, can you use this grinder for a regular pressure brewer like the Krups Moka Brewer or is it better to buy a doserless grinder for a 4 - 8 cup brew?
mthedude

Espresso: Nuova Simonelli Oscar
Grinder: La Spaziale Junior
Vac Pot: n/a
Drip: Cuisinart Grind & Brew
Roaster: n/a
Posted Mon Jan 26, 2009, 1:31pm

For a budget conscious combo the Le'Lit grinder and Nemox Caffe Fenice combo would be an enormous step up from the Krupps machine. You'd be getting a great grinder and near Sylvia performance for a lot less. The Fenice can be had for $299 shipped from 1-800-Espresso.com (not associated w/them in any way, I'm just planning on buying this machine soon) and the Le'Lit Grinder for around $230 from 1st line equip co.  So for 530 bucks you'd be in the same range if not better than the Sylvia/Rocky combo.

Not dissing the Rocky/Silvia, I just know it's a tough economic climate out there and it's easier to sell a spouse on $530 vs $1000. I've been there before.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > 1st Post. 1st...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.5209441185)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+