Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville 800ESXL, can it make a good shot?
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
protozoider

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Mon Oct 27, 2008, 6:39am
Subject: Re: Breville 800ESXL, can it make a good shot?

arpi Said:

Protozoider, I've looked at the video and it looks like it comes out pouring really fast. I think the grind needs to be a lot finer than that, otherwise you'll get acid flavors.

Alicia, I think many people has just bought the Breville on sale including myself ;) I think it is unfair to judge the quality till you get a shot longer than about 20 seconds.  Good luck

Posted October 24, 2008 link

Yeah, I know it's pouring way too fast. I've seen videos of professionals and I know something is wrong with my brew. Unfortunately, I did try a finer grind. There are only two things that happen with the pressurized filter. Either it comes out like a waterfall, or nothing comes out at all. There is no such thing as the right grind with that filter. It always comes out tasting weak and bad. Now if I do the non-pressurized filter things are different. The problem is, the machine cannot maintain a consistent temperature. I've tried different tamps 30-50lbs. There were big differences to the pull but the flavor just never came out well because of the huge temperature fluctuation. The temperature fluctuates by almost 20 degrees and it never goes higher than 180 at any point in brewing. Everyone talks about this "fix" you can do, but you shouldn't have to. A machine this expensive should at least be capable of doing the standard things it takes to brew a shot. There are cheaper machines that are more capable than this one. I should be able to turn the thing on, grind, tamp, pull, and take my shot to go. Even if I do the same thing every time I get a completely different result.

Needless to say, I'm pretty sure I'll be ridding of this machine. To get the perfect pull is far more work than even the cheapo machines out there. Even then supposedly everyone says it won't taste as good as any other machine. I've tried everything. I tried so many different grinds in half steps from a professional machine. Even then the pull I got was not savory at all. It was bitter and sour with no flavor at all. Maybe at some point I'll get a better machine but I hate this thing. The amount of work that you need to put for a decent shot is ridiculous and even then it doesn't taste great.
 View Profile Link to this post
arpi
arpi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus III-R
Grinder: Compak Compak K10WBC -...
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Quest m3 Fresh Roast Plus 8
Posted Mon Oct 27, 2008, 12:09pm

Hi protozoider. Sorry to hear your story and your frustation. The final test is if it makes you happy. I don't know if it is the combination of the espresso machine paired with the grinder or a mater or luck. But to be honest and tell my story, I like the coffee I get. This is my first espresso machine and probably I need to learn what a good spresso is.

I do belive the story of others and they are more numerous. I hear you brother. I feel your pain and I wish you the best. Good luck.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Oct 27, 2008, 9:11pm

protozoider Said:

Yeah, I know it's pouring way too fast. I've seen videos of professionals and I know something is wrong with my brew. Unfortunately, I did try a finer grind. There are only two things that happen with the pressurized filter. Either it comes out like a waterfall, or nothing comes out at all. There is no such thing as the right grind with that filter. It always comes out tasting weak and bad. Now if I do the non-pressurized filter things are different. The problem is, the machine cannot maintain a consistent temperature. I've tried different tamps 30-50lbs. There were big differences to the pull but the flavor just never came out well because of the huge temperature fluctuation. The temperature fluctuates by almost 20 degrees and it never goes higher than 180 at any point in brewing. Everyone talks about this "fix" you can do, but you shouldn't have to. A machine this expensive should at least be capable of doing the standard things it takes to brew a shot. There are cheaper machines that are more capable than this one. I should be able to turn the thing on, grind, tamp, pull, and take my shot to go. Even if I do the same thing every time I get a completely different result.

Needless to say, I'm pretty sure I'll be ridding of this machine. To get the perfect pull is far more work than even the cheapo machines out there. Even then supposedly everyone says it won't taste as good as any other machine. I've tried everything. I tried so many different grinds in half steps from a professional machine. Even then the pull I got was not savory at all. It was bitter and sour with no flavor at all. Maybe at some point I'll get a better machine but I hate this thing. The amount of work that you need to put for a decent shot is ridiculous and even then it doesn't taste great.

Posted October 27, 2008 link

I understand you feelings...I was there.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Oct 28, 2008, 5:14pm

I would try to take it back. If you cant I would destroy it. Remember in that movie Office Space when they took that copier out to that field and beat the living snot out of it,something like that would do.There are few things worse in life than an advertised product that doesnt do what it claims.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.367425918579)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+