Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Speedster vs. GS3 vs. Synesso
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Speedster vs....  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
nillaboy

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Thu Oct 16, 2008, 9:58am
Subject: Speedster vs. GS3 vs. Synesso

I'm thinking about a permanent cure for espresso machine desire.  Speedster vs. GS3 vs. Synesso.  Seems like pricing is similar, stratospheric.  Obviously, all of these machines represent the pinnacle.  However, it seems like La Marzocco and Synesso have published data regarding temperature stability and precision that are pretty spectacular.  The Speedster is hands down the sexiest, but I have not been able to find data on the temperature stability and precision.  I know that it is a PID controlled boiler, but I'm left wondering if the design provides for the same degree of stability and precision that the other machines have demonstrated.

Anyone care to comment?

Jon
 View Profile Link to this post
MarshallF
MarshallF
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: LM GS/3 MP
Grinder: Mahlkonig ProM; Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario Nouveau, Bodum ESantos
Drip: Clever Dripper
Posted Thu Oct 16, 2008, 10:55am
Subject: Re: Speedster vs. GS3 vs. Synesso

nillaboy Said:

Speedster vs. GS3 vs. Synesso.  Seems like pricing is similar, stratospheric.  Obviously, all of these machines represent the pinnacle.

Posted October 16, 2008 link

Nothing obvious about it, and I doubt many professionals would agree with all of your trio. Do not assume technical tests translate directly to cup quality or reliability. For a perspective from professional baristas, have a look at BaristaExchange discussion.
Everman
Everman
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Valentina Levetta, Elektra...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Thu Oct 16, 2008, 11:50am

I'm not qualified to say what's better. It's my guess that if any of them were my personal machine, I probably wouldn't tell the difference in the cup. Therefore I'd go for the coolest looking one, the Speedster  :)

edit: meant to say I would probably not tell the difference.
CRUZMISL

Posted Fri Oct 17, 2008, 8:50am

What he said.
wenus2

Espresso: Astoria, Oscar, GB5
Grinder: Mazzers
Vac Pot: TCA-5
Drip: Drop...clever
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Fri Oct 17, 2008, 1:08pm

There'd be no question for me, Speedster.

I think it will cost a fair bit more than a GS3, and there is a waiting list.... but if you have the money and they time, Speedster!

enjoy the journey
-jw
MarshallF
MarshallF
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: LM GS/3 MP
Grinder: Mahlkonig ProM; Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario Nouveau, Bodum ESantos
Drip: Clever Dripper
Posted Fri Oct 17, 2008, 3:46pm

If money and space are no object, and temperature control is your goal, looking at 2-group machines will open up more of the most advanced current technology. F'rinstance the 2009 WBC finalist machines: Dalla Corte Evolution, La Marzocco FB70 and Nuovo Simonelli Aurelia.

If it has to be a single head and you don't want to risk becoming a long-term beta tester, I would look at an LM Linea, rather than the GS3, and maybe consider a Faema Legend (mainly 'cause it's gorgeous) and Dalla Corte Super Mini.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sat Oct 18, 2008, 12:51pm

Presuming you are looking at one-group machines, and presuming that looks are are the deciding factor, I'd probably do a Speedster first, followed by the Synesso, and a LM GS3.  (YMMV.)  Presuming you are looking at the quality of the espresso produced, I think it's a three-way tie.  But I'd think about where I live and service options on all three before I pulled the trigger, and that might make a difference . . .

And I second Marshall's suggestion of a Faema Legend, or Faema Jubile (both come as 1, 2, or 3-group machines).

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
NewEnglandCliff
NewEnglandCliff

Espresso: La Spaziale S1, Salvatore,...
Grinder: Macap, Innova, Solis
Vac Pot: Hario Nouveau, Sunbeam C20B,...
Roaster: Hearthware I-Roast
Posted Wed Jan 28, 2009, 4:04pm

The main drawbacks to the professional machines, besides price and size, are the power requirements, very long warmup time, and huge steam boiler size. How long is the water in a 6 liter boiler going to remain in there before being replaced? You'd have to use it an awful lot.

Dolce Vita,

NEC
Jeff_J
Jeff_J

Espresso: Lots!
Grinder: Major & Rocky
Posted Wed Jan 28, 2009, 7:27pm

nillaboy Said:

Speedster vs. GS3 vs. Synesso. Anyone care to comment?Jon

Posted October 16, 2008 link

A: How about none of the above! For the going price of any one of those machines listed you could get two or three other "lesser" prosumer machines brand new, probably with even a few dollars left over to spare after all is said and done.

Personally for the astronomically outrageous price of a GS3, I'd much rather have a LaCimbali Junior S/1 and an Elektra Sixties A3!!

My Espresso Setup:
Ala di Vittoria La Valentina, PID'd Isomac Zaffiro, La Cremoka Moka, Mazzer Major,
Olympia Cremina 67, La Pavoni PC-16, Rancilio Rocky, Saeco Classico

http://community.mtvmusic.com/profile/jeff_jaworski

----------------------------------------------------
"A lot of people respect you here in the CG community.  I can say that I don't.  in 90% of your posts, you come off as arrogant, conceited, and a show off to me.  If you get mad or defensive, thats fine and natural.  But you should seriously think about that, and think about how you are displaying yourself in this community."
-fellow CG member Pe_tah on moderator JonR10
----------------------------------------------------
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
BrainInAJar
BrainInAJar

Espresso: Vibiemme DoubleDomo
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Rancillio Rocky
Vac Pot: Yama 3 cup
Drip: no thanks
Roaster: Behmor 1600, 49th Parallel
Posted Wed Jan 28, 2009, 11:11pm

Jeff_J Said:

A: How about none of the above! For the going price of any one of those machines listed you could get two or three other "lesser" prosumer machines brand new, probably with even a few dollars left over to spare after all is said and done.

Posted January 28, 2009 link

Or you could buy 500 steam toys! ;)

The quality curve is exponential. the jump in quality between a $100 machine and a $500 machine is enormous. The jump between a $500 machine and a $1500 machine is not quite so big. When you're comparing a $2500 machine and a $7000 machine, that extra 4 grand buys you only a little bit, but for some people that little bit is worth it.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Speedster vs....  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.422927856445)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+