Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Expobar Brewtus II vs. Vibiemme Double Boiler PID
Quick Mill Machines
Free extended warranty & shipping. Enter email for best price / match
espressooutlet.net

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Expobar Brewtus...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
espresso_obsession
espresso_obsession
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Sep 23, 2008, 6:40am
Subject: Expobar Brewtus II vs. Vibiemme Double Boiler PID

Sorry another comparison question, but different than the one below.

I am looking for a double boiler machine with PID.  I want to stay around 2000 CDN or below, so the Izzo Duetto is out of my range.  I am thinking between the Brewtus II and the new Vibiemme Double Boiler with PID (Double DOMO).  Does anyone have any actual experience with both machines to compare and contrast the two ?

Beyond creativecookware.com for the Brewtus II and coffeephilter.com for the Vibiemme DoubleDOMO, does anyone know other Canadian dealers for these machines ?

Thanks for your help

lawrence http://espressosnob.wordpress.com/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
xdavez
xdavez
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: La Spaziale Vivaldi II
Grinder: Mazzer mini
Vac Pot: none
Drip: Technivorm
Posted Tue Sep 23, 2008, 8:26am
Subject: Re: Expobar Brewtus II vs. Vibiemme Double Boiler PID

do you have to have Chrome??

if not then the La Spaz vivaldi II  -- water tank version.  under 2 K.  www.caffeetech.com

the Expobar  products are generally inferior to the Italian makes, and the Vib has shipped to very few end users.  

and BTW, don't  BURN yourself on the outer housing of the Vib!
wideasleep1
wideasleep1
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: VBMDoubleDomo
Grinder: Mahlkoenig K30 Vario
Vac Pot: nope
Drip: Bodum Press
Roaster: IR1 and 2,SC/TO,Behmor
Posted Tue Sep 23, 2008, 9:03am

The replacement boiler 'kit' I installed also included several large sheets of mylar-backed insulation, so I believe it's safe to assume VMB now fully insulates the front panel and the left side panel in new shipments. It will still feel quite warm, but definitely not a burn hazard. It would be nice if new shipment/V2 vibe/rotary owners would report back if this is indeed the case. :)
 View Profile Link to this post
espresso_obsession
espresso_obsession

Posted Tue Sep 23, 2008, 1:55pm

just found out VBM revision will be going up to 2300-2400.
So it may be more than I want to spend.

I considered the Vivaldi 2 but was turned off by the smaller PF. I would like to be able to get alternative PF and triple baskets easily.

I will have to review the brewtus 2 reviews in the archives. Plus my friends may buy one and I can see how they like it

lawrence http://espressosnob.wordpress.com/
BV

Espresso: Vibiemme Double Boiler...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini E
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Tue Sep 23, 2008, 7:06pm

wideasleep1 Said:

It would be nice if new shipment/V2 vibe/rotary owners would report back if this is indeed the case. :)

Posted September 23, 2008 link

I would absolutely love to report back on my new Vibiemme Double Boiler machine that arrived today. Sadly I'm now in day 11 of no power (Houston) thanks to Ike. Hopefully I've got power by Saturday as friends will be coming over to help put the new machine through it's paces.
wideasleep1
wideasleep1

Posted Wed Sep 24, 2008, 12:48am

BV Said:

I would absolutely love to report back on my new Vibiemme Double Boiler machine that arrived today. Sadly I'm now in day 11 of no power (Houston) thanks to Ike. Hopefully I've got power by Saturday as friends will be coming over to help put the new machine through it's paces.

Posted September 23, 2008 link

Wow..I empathize, and can only imagine what you're going through...hope both power and everyday life gets restored ASAP for you and Houston. Welcome to the forum, Paul, and congrats on your new 'toy'...you're starting out with the Rolls Royce, ya know... :D Hope to hear of your successful shotpulling sooner than later!
networkcrasher
networkcrasher

Espresso: GS3
Grinder: Nino, M3, SJ, Rocky
Vac Pot: GCBC Yama
Roaster: Hot Top, Behmor, SC/TO
Posted Wed Sep 24, 2008, 12:15pm

You put your insulation on the front/side panels?  I put it on the stainless divider between the water and the boilers.  Figured I'd rather have the water insulated than anything else.
wideasleep1
wideasleep1

Posted Thu Sep 25, 2008, 12:07am

networkcrasher Said:

You put your insulation on the front/side panels?  I put it on the stainless divider between the water and the boilers.  Figured I'd rather have the water insulated than anything else.

Posted September 24, 2008 link

Yep...I surmised that the MUCH larger boiler required the sides and front to be protected..what was about an inch of room between the faceplate and side, is now down to less than an eighth of an inch..the mylar has just a millimeter of airspace before it touches the steam boiler on my side panel. BTW, whoever shipped my Vibi did some serious banging on it...the exterior was flawless (thankfully), but the leaks I had were a result of the boilers shifting more than an inch from the location they were installed, bending those HEAVY copper lines atop. I'll post pics at what I faced when I first tried to fit the larger boiler..it simply had no room!

Pics here: Click Here (picasaweb.google.com)
Note the pic where I hold the new steam boiler touching the brew boiler..it exceeds the side clearance by at least a quarter inch..then look at how bent the heavy copper lines were up top...the box took a BIG drop when it was 'dropshipped'! :| I managed, and it looks/works great, but still...

Apologies to Lawrence, for hijacking his thread.
JVBorella
JVBorella

Espresso: Speedster, Strega, Cremina
Grinder: K10 WBC, Bunnzilla
Vac Pot: Hario NCA 3 & 5, Mitzudash
Drip: Hario Wooden Neck/Buono
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828P/B
Posted Thu Sep 25, 2008, 6:04am

I'm surprised the boilers could move that much. Aren't the boilers rigidly mounted to the framework or are they just floating around in there?

John
networkcrasher
networkcrasher

Espresso: GS3
Grinder: Nino, M3, SJ, Rocky
Vac Pot: GCBC Yama
Roaster: Hot Top, Behmor, SC/TO
Posted Thu Sep 25, 2008, 6:09am

They're basically hanging by the pipes that connect the boilers to their appropriate outlets/inlets.  It's pretty rigid, but apparently UPS is good at finding weak points.

I had to place my steam boiler slightly further back from the front panel and it fit fine.  My main boiler is similar in location but didn't require any movement.  Mine had shifted down towards the bottom of the chassis, but not to any other direction.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Expobar Brewtus...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.573829889297)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+