Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Help me ID an old machine
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Help me ID an...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Retr0

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Sep 10, 2008, 3:26pm
Subject: Help me ID an old machine

Hi espresso fans.

I have a quandry.  My father bought a machine some 20+ years ago.  I'm considering getting it back in servicable condition and using it, but I can't find anything out about this machine.  There is no manufacturer's tag on it, only the name of the importer who have long since gone on to newer models.  Faema Canada that is.  It's a pretty stout machine with a large reservoir/boiler.  I'll try to get pictures up.  It was purchased in Toronto, and that's where I currently live.

Retr0: CIMG0750_copy.JPG
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
Retr0

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Sep 11, 2008, 3:37pm
Subject: Re: Help me ID an old machine

Well, I tested it out, and it seems to work.  I called Faema and they told me they think its a Compact.  I'm not sure, because I can't find an image that matches it.  It's an HX machine.

One concern:

It seems that the boiler routinely reaches past 2.5 bar, which is the maximum the meter reads.  Should I be worried that the pressurestat isn't working and stuck in the on position?

It does produce awesome steam though.  I mean, compared to my saeco superautomatic. lol.

Is there a place in Toronto that CGers recommend for complete overhauls?
nigelrobinson

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Faema Compact A 1gr
Drip: Bodum
Posted Mon Sep 22, 2008, 3:46am

That's not any Faema Compact that I've ever seen. (I have a C84/1 that you can find in the buy/sell -- there's a pic there.)

I'm *really* concerned for you about the pressure going up to 2.5 bars. Can I say that again? I'm REALLY concerned for you about the pressure going up to 2.5 bars.

That's more than double a normal operating pressure. That's scary. Be very careful.

Good luck!

Nigel
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
toots

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: ...
Grinder: Faema MPN
Posted Wed Sep 24, 2008, 2:18pm

hello
i'm technician at faema in belgium, this is not a faema machine. It has same colour as a faema compact but i never seen this one. Also the brew group does not really look like a faema group. Boiler pressure can NEVER be 2,5 bar as there is a safety valve which opens at about 1,8 bar in these old machines. it might be the manometer is defect. But take a look at the pressostate (little blue box with 1cm hole on top) and see if it switches off, there might be dirt or scale in the copper tubing leading to pressostate or the membrane inside is worn and u have to replace the box (about 72 euro's... 100 dollarUS) also check pump pressure if its a rotating pump (CimbaliFaema or Procon), put siliconegrease in the bypass o-ring which is on the side of the pump, opens with a 21mm key. Last but not least change joint-portafiltre (oring inside grouphead) and the douchette. Good luck! it seems a nice little machine not too many electronics inide :-)

Dirk
DH76

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sun Jan 6, 2013, 8:10am

Hello,

I have what looks to be the identical machine! It was also purchased in Toronto through Faema. I am curious to know if you ever found out the make and model of this unit?
My machine appears to be in good working order, however, any info on this unit would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Dave
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Help me ID an...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.336597204208)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+