Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Saeco Classico acting up... Help!
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Saeco Classico...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
tamanaco

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Saeco Classico
Posted Wed Jul 16, 2008, 6:34am
Subject: Saeco Classico acting up... Help!

I have a Saeco Classico for approx. 4 years and have been very happy with it. A few weeks back the LED ready light (LED on the lower left switch) stopped working, but the machine continued to brew. I just waited for the click before brewing any coffee. Two or three days ago the machine appeared to struggle to brew coffee. I noticed that there was not enough pressure coming out of the brew head. My dilemma is that I don't know if I have a pump problem, a clocked component or a bad switch (sensor) some where. There appears to be enough pump pressure to get steam out, but not enough to brew coffee. When I open the steam valve I can see the pump working as the level of the reservoir comes down at a good pace. But once I close the steam and start the brewing process the pump makes its normal pumping sound for a few seconds and then quiets down. The reservoir level remains unchanged. It feels like it can't push hard enough. I used to get the same sound when the grinds were packed too tight. One it quiets down it is evident that there is little pressure coming out of the brew head as the "shower head" leaks water instead of spraying the water with some pressure. The funny thing is that the machine brews the first and sometimes the second cup of coffee in the morning with no problem. I guess after is left to cool off for a long period something goes back to normal. Thinking that there was something stuck some where, I cleaned/descaled the machine using a powder called Cleancaf, but I still have the same problem. Any suggestions as to what to try next to identify the failing component before I order any parts? I have not taken any of the internals apart yet for fear of damaging  the seals (gaskets) in the joints. I'm skilled enough to take it apart, but a step by step process that would help identify the failing component and a pointer on where I can get the broken component at a fair price would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advanced...
 View Profile Link to this post
tamanaco

Posted Tue Jul 22, 2008, 8:50am
Subject: Re: Saeco Classico acting up... Help!

Wow!... lots of views, but no replies. Not even suggestion on what the suspect component should be?... Oh well... in the mean time I have another question... What's a step up from the Saeco Classico?... I've been reading about the Silvia, but my wife thinks is a bit expensive. Anything in the Gaggia line in the $300 to $400 range that I should be looking at. Looking to buy something smaller or of the same size of the Saeco, but of same or better quality... Suggestions???
stefano65
stefano65
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme,Elektra,
Grinder: Vario,Macap,
Vac Pot: not
Drip: not
Roaster: not
Posted Tue Jul 22, 2008, 2:49pm

Clean the showerscreen
descale the unit
and see if any improvement is made

Stefano Cremonesi
info@espressocare.com
www.espressocare.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
xdavez
xdavez

Espresso: La Spaziale Vivaldi II
Grinder: Mazzer mini
Vac Pot: none
Drip: Technivorm
Posted Wed Jul 23, 2008, 6:37am

seldom a pump problem.

it is clogged.  99% certain.  time for a teardown.

dave
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
tamanaco

Posted Mon Jul 28, 2008, 7:24am

xdavez Said:

seldom a pump problem.

it is clogged.  99% certain.  time for a teardown.

dave

Posted July 23, 2008 link

Ok, I took it apart over the w/e, but I can not identify which component is at fault. I took the whole boiler unit apart and cleaned the inside, but it was not dirty at all to begin. I use filtered water to make my coffee all the time. I removed the internal boiler tube from the boiler bottom and every thing looks as clean as whistle. I pushed the little silicone ball valve that leads to the brew head and it seems to be working fine, in other words, the spring moves freely as I push it with the end of a paper clip. The shower screen is super clean all the little holes are clear. While the boiler is apart,  if I blow air from the Teflon tube attached to the boiler top there is no obstruction whatsoever.  After cleaning it and putting it together I can not longer blow air with my mouth with enough pressure to get any air out through the brew head. The boiler is sealed tight. Once I turn it on,  I notice that the brew heads drips a little bit of water. There are no water leaks around the boiler, hoses or pump. If I click the brew button I can hear pump working hard, but then it seems to quiet down. I can see that there is not enough pressure coming out of the brew head. I also took apart the portafilter and cleaned it, but attaching the portafilter still makes no difference.

I disconnected the pump to test it, but I don't know how strongly it should be pumping out the water?  How far from the pump should it shot the water? The water comes out in a steady stream, but not with so much pressure that the water shots out at any significant distance. I say a steady stream which drops down after an inch or so.  Just a constant flow. If it try to plug the outlet of the pump with my thumb, water sprays around my finger... I can not stop it... so there is some pressure there. What else can be wrong?
tamanaco

Posted Mon Aug 4, 2008, 8:55am

Well, another week has gone by and the machine only brews "maybe" the 1st cup in the morning. After that the pump just seems not to have enough force to push the water through the brew head with any considerable amount of force. I'm starting to suspect the pump. The only other component that might be giving me problems is the boiler outlet valve to the brew head, but I doubt it. Is there any other way that I can test the pump? Where is the best place to get the pump online at a good price? Does anyone know of a place in New York City that might have these pumps in stock?

Thanks...
cafewest_tech

Posted Tue Aug 5, 2008, 7:44pm

Hi
  Check ebay.  They have pumps on there all the time.
Jerry
tamanaco

Posted Tue Aug 12, 2008, 8:29am

cafewest_tech Said:

Hi
  Check ebay.  They have pumps on there all the time.
Jerry

Posted August 5, 2008 link

Thanks Jerry, I found a vendor in eBay selling this pump -> Click Here (cgi.ebay.com)

It says that this pump is the EAX5 not the EX5. The EAX5 is supposed to be an "upgraded" model with metal instead of plastic internals. Does anyone know if this true? Is $45 a fair price? Also, I'm interested in getting one of the LED black switches on the front on the machine. Do you know where I can get those? I'm hoping to order both parts at the same time and if possible from the same vendor. I want to kill two birds with one stone.

Thanks...
tamanaco

Posted Sun Aug 17, 2008, 11:04am

I'm about to pull the trigger on this  EAX5 pump... someone stop me if you think is not the right pump or if it's too expensive. I'm also waiting on an answer on where to get the black switches.

Thanks again
tamanaco

Posted Mon Aug 25, 2008, 12:55pm

Ok, got the pump from the guy in eBay for $45 with free shipping.  I installed it this past weekend and  I'm back drinking coffee from my Saeco. The pump was the problem. I still will like to know where I can get the black switches with the green LEDs so that I know when the machine is ready to brew.

Thanks to all for your help
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Saeco Classico...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quick Mill Back in Stock
All Quick Mill Machine ready to ship. Free Ship. Silvano, Anita, Alexia, 2B, Andreja, QM67, Monza!
cupandbrew.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.40794801712)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+