Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Opinons? La Pavoni Domus Bar DMB
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Opinons? La...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
spaciouscowboy

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Jul 15, 2008, 7:38am
Subject: Opinons? La Pavoni Domus Bar DMB

Hi there, long time reader, first time poster ;)

Wondering whether anyone has an opinion on the La Pavoni Domus Bar DMB - I have actually ordered it already but i figure if someone tells me really bad things about it I can always sell it on unopened in the box. I know the grinder only has 7 settings which prob won't be brilliant for advanced coffee making but I am an extreme beginner and don't have a lot of space in my kitchen which is why I went for the combo machine.

Have I made a mistake?

Cheers

Jan
 View Profile Link to this post
xdavez
xdavez
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: La Spaziale Vivaldi II
Grinder: Mazzer mini
Vac Pot: none
Drip: Technivorm
Posted Tue Jul 15, 2008, 9:10am
Subject: Re: Opinons? La Pavoni Domus Bar DMB

I would NEVER recommend a 'combo'  Why?

The HEAT from the boiler gets to the beans sitting in the grinder, making them stale -- or more stale.

Heat is never a good thing around roasted beans.

7 click stops??  very limiting

Grinders don't take up much space.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
spaciouscowboy

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Jul 15, 2008, 1:29pm

Okay...gotcha.

Well then...luckily the ebayer I was buying it off hadn't sent it yet and so agreed that I could change my order.  The only grinder she has is a ISOMAC GRANMACININO, but as far as I can tell this is a decent entry level grinder, and has a fairly small footprint. Anything more for me would be overkill I think and if I really get into this stuff I can always upgrade.

but now I have a choice between the Rancilio Miss Silvia and the La Pavoni Puccino PCL...I am slightly afraid of the Silvia lol as I think that it takes A LOT of patience in order to master (though I understand it has superior results when mastered).  I also think it probably need to be PID'd in order to be at it's best...am i right?  Anyway, the puccino also has brass innards and seems to be pretty decent.  I just don't know.  I had already bought two KitchenAid Artisian (dual boilers) but they both broke quickly (one within 4 days and the other as soon as I got it home!!) so am steering clear of them.

Who would have thought this would be so complicated...

Jan
myounder

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013, 1:05pm

I see only one negative reply, so I'm not sure that forms a consensus.  I too was looking at that machine.  It is convenient for the space challenged.  Does the boiler heat really effect the beans?  The boiler is only on for a short period each time the coffee is made (assuming you don't leave the machine on all the time).  The big issue I was thinking about was the quality of the built in grinder.
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013, 9:41pm

You always want to keep your grinder separate from the machine for a variety of reasons.

1. If the grinder breaks down, you don't have to replace the entire machine.
  2. A separate grinder will always have a higher quality than one which comes built into the machine.
  3. Upgrade path

myounder's comment is a little off. A small consumer grade espresso machine must be kept on for a minimum of 15-30 minutes in order to ensure good temperature stability.
Then, it can take another 10 minutes to prepare a milk drink, at which time the boiler has to operate at a much higher temperature for steaming. Some people leave their
machines on all day. You want the heat from the boiler to keep the cups ontop nice and warm so your coffee stays hot when you brew it. :-)

For spaciouscowboy, Overkill is a relative term. It all depends on what you need, what your budget is and what you want out of your equipment. The problem is that a lot of
people buy inferior, cheap equipment and then are disappointed with the results, then end up selling it. When you spend that bit extra, the equipment you'll buy will result in
a higher level of satisfaction.

The Silvia isn't as difficult to use as you think, but it must be used with a decent grinder, otherwise you won't be happy with it. My first espresso machine was a Silvia with a
Rocky grinder. It took me about 40 minutes to make my first cappuccino, then 10 minutes after that once I learned how to dial in the grinder.

I have no idea how good an Isomac Granmacinio is grinder-wise.. Here's a thread on it:
http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/112044

If I had a choice between the Puccino and the Silvia, I'd pick the Silvia, only because I had one and was really impressed with the quality of it.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Opinons? La...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.349709033966)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+