Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Power Conversion-220v to 110v
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Power...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
PJK
PJK
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Wed Jun 4, 2008, 8:28am
Subject: Re: Power Conversion-220v to 110v

Hi Lisa,

I think that what the company told you is getting a bit fuzzy.  In Europe 220 Volts 50 Hz is standard.  In the US we have 110 Volts and 220 Volts both 60 Hz.  The standard recepticles which you see are for 110 Volts.  220 Volt recepticles are the large ones you see for clothes dryers, electric ranges, arc welders, and other high demand loads.

A transformer will not change "European" 50 Hz to "American" 60 Hz or vice virsa.  A rotary converter (big machine) or electronics would be required to do that.

The frequency out of the transformer is the same as what goes in.  60 Hz requires a slightly smaller transformer than 50 Hz for the same load.  A 60 Hz transformer will work on 50 Hz if there is sufficient margin (enough iron).  A 50 Hz transformer should have an easy time on 60 Hz.

What I am saying is the Europe / USA story is bogus.  If your espresso machine requires 30 Amp service at 220 Volts, the transformer will have to be 220 V times 30 Amps = 6600 VA.  That is a big transformer. Also the 110 Volt input will have to be 60 Amp service.  There may be such a thing as 110 Volt 60 Amp service but I have never seen it.

If you are outdoors with this setup and 220 Volt service is out of the question, you might consider a gasoline powered generator of sufficient size.  The large ones have 220 Volts as well as 110 volts output.

By the way what we call 110 Volts in this contry is more like 120 Volts typically and 220 Volts is more like 240 Volts.  I don't know if European 220 Volts is closer to 220 Volts.

Phil

LiisahMariie Said:

Thanks for all the answers everyone, but it turns out it can't be done.

I went ahead and got the european converter/transformer stepup/stepdown. I plugged it in, and the power cord got REALLY hot. So then i called the company (which i should have done first) and they explained to me that European 220v is NOT the same as American 220v.  

So what I am trying to say is that you can convert 220v european to or from 110v american

but you cannot convert 220v american to 110v american

i hope this helps someone. I learned alot about electricity along the way  :)

-lisa

Posted June 3, 2008 link

Philip J. Keleshian
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Wed Jun 4, 2008, 10:12am

PJK Said:

By the way what we call 110 Volts in this contry is more like 120 Volts typically and 220 Volts is more like 240 Volts.  I don't know if European 220 Volts is closer to 220 Volts.

Phil

Posted June 4, 2008 link

it depends where you are in Europe ;o)

Europe is (nominally) 230v rather than 220v, however, that's only a benchmark, and supplies are allowed to deviate from it - I think it's something like minus 6%/plus 8% which is a compromise to cover most of the legacy infrastructure installed before the standard was adopted. UK, for example was 240v nominal, and my domestic supply runs right at the top end at around 248.

But, 50hz is standard as you said.

If only we all used the same plugs/outlets !
 View Profile Link to this post
treston

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Jun 5, 2008, 12:41am

PJK Said:

If your espresso machine requires 30 Amp service at 220 Volts, the transformer will have to be 220 V times 30 Amps = 6600 VA.  That is a big transformer. Also the 110 Volt input will have to be 60 Amp service.

Posted June 4, 2008 link

That is correct
Power=voltage x current
so if the unit really does draw 30A @220V that is 6.6kW. It is probably not drawing that much, the power usage should be on the machines rating plate.

For a given max current the power is determined by the voltage. So most manufaturers of heating equpiment or high power tools will take advantage of this. So most 220V equpiment will be a lot higher power than the 110V equivalent. Meaning it is far easier to get a transformer and outlet that can handle a 110V device at 220V, rather than vice versa.

The company is either ignorant or lying about the EU/USA 220V thing, probably sent the wrong thing by mistake.

A bigger problem would be replacing heating elements, since they are basically a wire of fixed resistance. A 110V 1.5kW element plugged into a 220V supply will output 6kW (many would wrongly guess 3kW) and it would burn out quickly, and a 220V 3kW element plugged into a 110V supply will ouput 750W and would not burn out.
 View Profile Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Power...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.269984006882)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+