Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
24 hour ON power consumption (UPDATED)
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > 24 hour ON power...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
john_k

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Michelangleo
Grinder: Mazzer Mini / Mazzer SJ
Vac Pot: Cona (D cup)
Roaster: Diedrich IR3 (I'm obsessed)
Posted Mon Jan 14, 2008, 1:30pm
Subject: 24 hour ON power consumption (UPDATED)

Power consumption.  Empirical data..

For a long time I’ve wondered what it was costing to keep my ECM Michelangelo running 24 hours per day.  While tools are available to measure the electricity consumed by a 120 volt appliance (Kill A Watt)   I was unable to find a similar device for 240 volt machines.   Reasoning that the element was responsible for virtually the entire energy usage, I devised a tool for timing the “on” period of the heating element.   A thrift store electric clock equipped with clip leads allowed this measurement.  As the clock is a 120V device I clipped one of its conductors to ground (neutral) and the other to one side of the element’s switched 240V power terminals.  I set the clock to 12:00 and allowed the ECM to cycle for 24 hours under normal (for us) use.  4 -5 espresso drinks and an equal number of cups of “tea water”.

After a 24 hour period the total element on time was just a couple of minutes under three hours.   (Equivalent to a duty cycle of 12.5%)

The element is rated at 2200 watts so over a 3 hour period it will have consumed 6.6 KWH.   The cost of electricity delivered to my home is $.062  per KWH

6.6 KWH * .062 = $0.41 per day, $12.30 per month.

********  UPDATED INFORMATION ************

Turning the machine on in the morning (cold start) and letting it run for thirteen hours with about the same usage pattern provided the following data:

Element ON time 1 hour and 50 minutes (1.83 hours)   1.83 * 2200 watts = 4.3 KWH

4.3 KWH * .062 = $0.27 per day,   $8.10 per month.

These numbers prove (for my machine) that its less expensive to turn the machine off at night and on in the morning than to let it run 24 hours per day.  The energy consumed warming the machine up to operating temperature is less than that consumed letting it idle all night.  

The effect of the heat cycling on gaskets and seals is, of course, up to debate.

john

john_k: ecm clock.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
drtzali
drtzali
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Nuova Simonelli MAC Cup...
Grinder: MACAP MK7R
Vac Pot: um. Electrolux?
Drip: Drop
Roaster: Not that advanced yet...
Posted Mon Jan 14, 2008, 2:52pm
Subject: Re: 24 hour ON power consumption

cool.
Psyd
Psyd

Espresso: Astoria Argenta SAE II,...
Grinder: Rio and Astoria (Mazzer)...
Posted Mon Jan 14, 2008, 5:36pm

john_k Said:

After a 24 hour period the total element on time was just a couple of minutes under three hours.   (Equivalent to a duty cycle of 12.5%)

Posted January 14, 2008 link

Do the same test, but this time turn it off after each usage, and on an hour (warm-up time for your average 220V-worthy machine) before each use for 24 hrs.  Something tells me that maintaining the water at a certain temp and bringing it back up to that temp a few times a day aren't going to be that different.  The element seems to do the same amount of work(-ish), just does it at different times.  Rather than on a few seconds every few minutes, it's on a twelve minutes to get up to temp, and off for a few hours, with a 'normal cycle' period while it's warming the machine.

P.S. In the interest of full disclosure, My 220V Astoria stays on 24/7 (I power off if I'm away for more'n a coupla days) and the 110V Sylvia get turned on a half hour before I draw shots.

http://members.cox.net/gearsale/Astoria
john_k

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2008, 6:47pm

Psyd Said:

Do the same test, but this time turn it off after each usage, and on an hour (warm-up time for your average 220V-worthy machine) before each use for 24 hrs. .

My next test is going to be starting with a cold machine in the morning and turning it off at bedtime.    Turning it on an hour before each use would not fit into my coffee drinking pattern though it might be an interesting experiment.  My feeling is that the on in the morning off at night will be the most efficient and useful scheme.

Update to follow.

john
theo_58

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Posted Mon Jan 14, 2008, 9:21pm

john_k Said:

6.6 KWH * .062 = $0.41 per day, $12.30 per month.

That's like nuthin'!

I hope it's a machine that tolerates being on all the time. I've seen recommendation(s) against that for my Silvia.
john_k

Posted Wed Jan 16, 2008, 2:07pm
Subject: Re: 24 hour ON power consumption (UPDATED)

Updated information..
PaulTheRoaster
PaulTheRoaster

Espresso: Faema C84 A/1, Eterna leva...
Grinder: Compak K6, Solis Classic
Drip: French Press, Swiss Gold...
Roaster: RK drum
Posted Wed Jan 16, 2008, 3:44pm

Interesting.
What size boiler? Insulation?
Any machine will use less electricity if you turn it off for any amount of time, even a minute.

You also have to consider that in winter the machine is helping to heat your house (a little) and in summer your AC will run more to compensate. Depends where you live of course.

You could calculate how much energy it uses to get to temp from cold and how much energy it uses idling. If I ever get my monster 240V machine running ... this would be worth knowing.
GrantT
GrantT

Espresso: Elektra A3
Grinder: HG-One 71mm #002, Macap M4D
Posted Wed Jan 16, 2008, 4:26pm

Interesting indeed!

Would also be interesting to try determine where the "break even" point for a given machine is as well.  Does heating the machine twice in one day, three time, four time etc. end up the same cost.   i.e. how much does 1 heat up cycle cost roughly.

I used to heat up in the morning, and again in the late afternoon, but my machine now runs 24x7.

Cool stuff!

Grant

"Wake up and Smell the Coffee"
john_k

Posted Wed Jan 16, 2008, 6:55pm

This thing has a BIG boiler. Eight liters and no insulation.  ( I sent my stash of insulation to some guy in Illinois) :)  In the first 90 minutes after start-up the element on time was 26 minutes.  A duty cycle of 28%.    

The genesis of the experiment was a larger that expected electricity bill and my wife's questioning the expense my machine being run all day and often all night.    Happily I've learned its not a big expense, and I'll probably turn it off late in the evening and on when I get up, unless I know I'll want coffee first thing in the AM.

jk
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > 24 hour ON power...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.543887138367)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+