Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
I just de-pressurized my Barista Portafilter -- simple (pic)
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > I just...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
KillerQ
KillerQ
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Saeco Barista
Grinder: Capresso Infinity 565
Drip: Manual Cone Drip
Posted Fri Jan 11, 2008, 1:25pm
Subject: I just de-pressurized my Barista Portafilter -- simple (pic)

Hey all,

As you may know, today I am the proud owner of a lightly-used Starbucks Barista.  Honestly, my only concern was the pressurized PF.

I was all worried about finding a non-pressurized PF online, and at what price, etc - until...  Until I disassembled the PF to clean it, and realized that it's literally one step to remove the ENTIRE pressure regulator, and it comes out in one piece (see picture below).  Sooo, I just did it.

I know there are other threads on this -- but I feel my new pic may help a bit.

I just unscrewed the screws on the bottom of the PF, popped the pressure mechanism off with a flathead screwdriver, removed the plastic disc (and orange gasket) in the inside-bottom of the PF basket (optional) and that's it.  Then I just put it back together!  Since it came out in one piece, I can put it back in at anytime.

I hope this may have helped someone a bit....

Thanks,

Matt!

KillerQ: pressupload.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
katthree3

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: expobar pulsar
Grinder: Astra
Posted Fri Jan 11, 2008, 2:47pm
Subject: Re: I just de-pressurized my Barista Portafilter -- simple (pic)

Isn't that just gross the gunk inside those portafilters.  Biggest reason to depresurize or buy a new portafilter that doesn't have that dirt catching gizmo.
Kat
wildlyesoteric
wildlyesoteric
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Breville Cafe Roma
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Swissgold
Roaster: Milwaukee HG/DB
Posted Fri Jan 11, 2008, 4:07pm

holy shit

I can't believe they stuff that thing in the portafilter
fancy_pilot

Espresso: Saeco Classico
Grinder: Gaggia MDF
Posted Fri Jan 11, 2008, 5:44pm

I just depressurized my Saeco Classico by removing the spring and look at the mottled crema that I got.  Previous, I had nothing close to this.

The mechanism on mine looks identical (as it should), so I think I will try to remove the entire thing.  How much pressure does it take to pry loose?

Andy

fancy_pilot: DSC04089.JPG
(Click for larger image)
KillerQ
KillerQ

Posted Fri Jan 11, 2008, 5:55pm

Andy,

Little to now pressure is necessary.  You won't have to force it, if that's what you're asking...

Let us know,

Matt!
wideasleep1
wideasleep1
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: VBMDoubleDomo
Grinder: Mahlkoenig K30 Vario
Vac Pot: nope
Drip: Bodum Press
Roaster: IR1 and 2,SC/TO,Behmor
Posted Sat Jan 12, 2008, 4:49am

KillerQ Said:

Andy,

Little to now pressure is necessary.  You won't have to force it, if that's what you're asking...

Let us know,

Matt!

Posted January 11, 2008 link

Remove basket..I unscrewed the 3 screws, revealing the pressure apparatus-spring with plug, and a white plastic surround which serves to distribute and aerate the pour. This setup is rather fragile, but I discovered a quick method that preserves it for easy reinstall: remove spring from plug, swing hinged plug away from center, using large phillips screwdriver, insert driver in the middle and firmly/gently push downward to release the brown, gasketed pressure disk inside the PF, just enough pressure to clear the white clips that secure it. Carefully flip the PF over and inspect the brown,gasketed disk, then back over again to see if the white setup can be nudged free..if so remove it, if not, push the brown disk a little bit more. Once clear, I also removed the brown disk, it serves no purpose in our 'new' PF. Reassemble the plastic bottom pour spout with the three screws, and you now have a non-pressurized PF...a good thing if and only if you know how to tamp (and have an appropriate tamper).
KillerQ
KillerQ

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2008, 8:19am

wideasleep1 Said:

Remove basket..I unscrewed the 3 screws, revealing the pressure apparatus-spring with plug, and a white plastic surround which serves to distribute and aerate the pour. This setup is rather fragile, but I discovered a quick method that preserves it for easy reinstall: remove spring from plug, swing hinged plug away from center, using large phillips screwdriver, insert driver in the middle and firmly/gently push downward to release the brown, gasketed pressure disk inside the PF, just enough pressure to clear the white clips that secure it. Carefully flip the PF over and inspect the brown,gasketed disk, then back over again to see if the white setup can be nudged free..if so remove it, if not, push the brown disk a little bit more. Once clear, I also removed the brown disk, it serves no purpose in our 'new' PF. Reassemble the plastic bottom pour spout with the three screws, and you now have a non-pressurized PF...a good thing if and only if you know how to tamp (and have an appropriate tamper).

Posted January 12, 2008 link

I didn't need to remove the disc first in order to remove the white clip -- i simply removed it after.  Obviously, widealseep's method works too...

Once again, I was surprised how easy this was.  And unless i prefer metal spouts, I don't see any reason to order a replacement especially since the OEM PF is so heavy duty-feeling.

On a side note, has anyone tried using washers, plugs, etc to prevent the PF from rotating the inch or so that it does?  I know its a matter of using a few washers to cause them to put pressure against the plastic body -- or to insert something into the 'screw tracks' to prevent them from moving...  No biggie just wondering.

Also, fo those who own the Barista, after you have the PF secured on the machine, and your handle is "sprung back" is the handle to the  right  bit -- or is it exactly center?  Mine is a bit the the right.  Function-wise, it's fine -- just a bit to the right...

Later,

Matt!
Jdiz

Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2008, 5:41pm

I had the same question regarding how "tight" to insert the portafilter in the Starbucks Barista.

With this machine, it seems like the harder you push, the tighter the PF goes.  Unlike what I assume happens on some conventional machines, where the PF may just lock out at a certain point.

I'm wondering how tight I need to put the PF on?  Do I want space between the group head and the tamped espresso?  Do I want them touching?  Should there be pressure on the espresso?  Any help would be greatly appreciated......
wideasleep1
wideasleep1
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: VBMDoubleDomo
Grinder: Mahlkoenig K30 Vario
Vac Pot: nope
Drip: Bodum Press
Roaster: IR1 and 2,SC/TO,Behmor
Posted Sat Jan 12, 2008, 6:45pm

Jdiz Said:

I had the same question regarding how "tight" to insert the portafilter in the Starbucks Barista.

With this machine, it seems like the harder you push, the tighter the PF goes.  Unlike what I assume happens on some conventional machines, where the PF may just lock out at a certain point.

I'm wondering how tight I need to put the PF on?  Do I want space between the group head and the tamped espresso?  Do I want them touching?  Should there be pressure on the espresso?  Any help would be greatly appreciated......

Posted January 12, 2008 link

I always held Baristas side with my right hand, using my left hand (weaker for me) to force the PF, just past the point where Barista pressures my right hand. The PF makes it to the 4 o'clock position at this point, and springs back into approx. 5 o'clock. This would be tight enough certainly to prevent leaks, but still easy to remove PF for shots. WRT heeadroom, a properly dosed and tamped load should give you just over an 1/8 inch headroom, and this amount shouldn't be felt when locking the load. If you can feel the load, you've likely slightly overdosed.
kocheez75

Posted Sun Jan 13, 2008, 12:00am

KillerQ Said:

I just unscrewed the screws on the bottom of the PF, popped the pressure mechanism off with a flathead screwdriver, removed the plastic at the inside-bottom of the PF basket (optional) and that's it.  

Posted January 11, 2008 link

How did you remove the plastic at the bottem? Or are you referring to the on with the gasket? Could you please post some more pictures of your finished PF? I'm trying to go through this step-by-step. Thanks.
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > I just...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.491918087006)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+