Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
I just de-pressurized my Barista Portafilter -- simple (pic)
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > I just...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
KillerQ
KillerQ
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Saeco Barista
Grinder: Capresso Infinity 565
Drip: Manual Cone Drip
Posted Sun Feb 24, 2008, 10:42pm
Subject: Re: I just de-pressurized my Barista Portafilter -- simple (pic)

Tsenfw - can you email me please - - I have a question for you.  KillerQ97@aol.com is my addy...

Thanks,

Matt!
 View Profile Link to this post
BrainInAJar
BrainInAJar

Espresso: Vibiemme DoubleDomo
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Rancillio Rocky
Vac Pot: Yama 3 cup
Drip: no thanks
Roaster: Behmor 1600, 49th Parallel
Posted Mon Feb 25, 2008, 1:55am

Just thought that this would be a better place for this than starting a whole new thread, but I just finished what I'm going to call the Final *$ Barista Portafilter Mod.

I de-PPF'ed the portafilter a while back ( got rid of everything plastic that isn't attached to the handle by chemical bonds ) but it still bothered me that right between the spouts was the support plastic bits for it, bits that got disgustingly full of old coffee after a few shots (yes I rinse, but rinsing doesn't get enough out ) and required a screwdriver to clean.

So I took a hacksaw blade to the portafilter.

Take that ... warranty.

BrainInAJar: dscf0512dg9.jpg
(Click for larger image)
KillerQ
KillerQ

Posted Mon Feb 25, 2008, 8:45am

BrainInAJar Said:

Just thought that this would be a better place for this than starting a whole new thread, but I just finished what I'm going to call the Final *$ Barista Portafilter Mod.

I de-PPF'ed the portafilter a while back ( got rid of everything plastic that isn't attached to the handle by chemical bonds ) but it still bothered me that right between the spouts was the support plastic bits for it, bits that got disgustingly full of old coffee after a few shots (yes I rinse, but rinsing doesn't get enough out ) and required a screwdriver to clean.

So I took a hacksaw blade to the portafilter.

Take that ... warranty.

Posted February 25, 2008 link

BraininaJar,

Very nice - very practical!  Good job.  When that badboy is sanded, you would never know it was a hack-job (pun intended).  How does it perform?  I mean, do you get any splashing inside the cavity, or does it pour straight out?

Thanks,

Matt!
wideasleep1
wideasleep1
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: VBMDoubleDomo
Grinder: Mahlkoenig K30 Vario
Vac Pot: nope
Drip: Bodum Press
Roaster: IR1 and 2,SC/TO,Behmor
Posted Mon Feb 25, 2008, 12:23pm

I suspect a clean pour since it's getting properly tamped, pressure is steady, and it's coming from a small 'spout'. Also, I think a Dremel would work as well...a little less work maybe? :)
KillerQ
KillerQ

Posted Mon Feb 25, 2008, 1:18pm

Wide,

Yea, you're right.  Although, it's too bad that the 'spout' you mentioned is more of a hole in the bottom of the PF, and not a little spout - that would be perfect.

I was thinking Dremel too... I may use a saw for the grunt work, then polish it off with the dremel - make it look 'factory'

I look forward to more feedback,

Thanks,

Matt!
BrainInAJar
BrainInAJar

Espresso: Vibiemme DoubleDomo
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Rancillio Rocky
Vac Pot: Yama 3 cup
Drip: no thanks
Roaster: Behmor 1600, 49th Parallel
Posted Mon Feb 25, 2008, 2:59pm

wideasleep1 Said:

I suspect a clean pour since it's getting properly tamped, pressure is steady, and it's coming from a small 'spout'. Also, I think a Dremel would work as well...a little less work maybe? :)

Posted February 25, 2008 link

Yep, it pours pretty clean.

I noticed that it pours a wee bit off center though, that could by my technique ( possible ) or the way the machine pours the water ( the showerhead sucks on the barista. Any tips on hacking it to work better are appreciated )
LatteChic
LatteChic
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Barista
Grinder: Barista Burr
Posted Wed Feb 27, 2008, 12:15am

wideasleep1 Said:

The Stainless is very heavy (a 23 ounce weapon), and a pleasure to use!

Posted February 21, 2008 link

I really enjoyed your comment "(a 23 ounce weapon), and a pleasure to use!"

You had me at "a 23 ounce weapon" :D

Also, thanks for your input sultanoswing and Deb!  

I considered all your logical advice, and did something totally unpractical . . . . . I ordered the Espro Tamper!

I also decided to future modify my NP-portafilter by removing the 3 screws that keep the plastic handle in place. This would remove any flow restrictions allowing a more accurate pour time.  Awkward, yes! But it will have to do until I can find a Dremel to use. <:ob~

Here is a picture from today, this was a 25 second shot; AND this is still using my plastic tamper and bathroom scales!

Not to shabby for a GreenGeek! Huh?
LatteChic

LatteChic: Espresso Shot @ 1 min.JPG
(Click for larger image)

"I love being a Stay-at-home Latte-maker;  I mean, Home-maker!"
joey

Espresso: Oscar
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Sun Mar 2, 2008, 11:10pm

i bought a npf from somewhere..i forget...came across my original one, took it apart..was looking at it and was thinking i could maybe make it into a naked pf.  Its very thick metal so i dont know what i would use to cut it and if I would get decent results regardless...
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
LatteChic
LatteChic
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Barista
Grinder: Barista Burr
Posted Mon Mar 3, 2008, 12:36am

joey Said:

i bought a npf from somewhere..i forget...came across my original one, took it apart..was looking at it and was thinking i could maybe make it into a naked pf.  Its very thick metal so i dont know what i would use to cut it and if I would get decent results regardless...

Posted March 2, 2008 link

I found this, see if it helps . . . . . . . . . .and I hope this hyperlink works <:o)

click here

If it doesn't work I will try something else! :-B~

Good Luck,
LatteChic

"I love being a Stay-at-home Latte-maker;  I mean, Home-maker!"
wideasleep1
wideasleep1
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: VBMDoubleDomo
Grinder: Mahlkoenig K30 Vario
Vac Pot: nope
Drip: Bodum Press
Roaster: IR1 and 2,SC/TO,Behmor
Posted Mon Mar 3, 2008, 1:20am

LatteChic Said:

I really enjoyed your comment "(a 23 ounce weapon), and a pleasure to use!"

You had me at "a 23 ounce weapon" :D

Also, thanks for your input sultanoswing and Deb!  

I considered all your logical advice, and did something totally unpractical . . . . . I ordered the Espro Tamper!

I also decided to future modify my NP-portafilter by removing the 3 screws that keep the plastic handle in place. This would remove any flow restrictions allowing a more accurate pour time.  Awkward, yes! But it will have to do until I can find a Dremel to use. <:ob~

Here is a picture from today, this was a 25 second shot; AND this is still using my plastic tamper and bathroom scales!

Not to shabby for a GreenGeek! Huh?
LatteChic

Posted February 27, 2008 link

Hey LC! Congrats on your new weapon! :P I used the Espro Tamper almost exclusively for a year, and I have to say I have a perfect feel for tamping now...I now use the Vaneli's 23 ounce Stainless Steel weapon with great success. The longer you use the Espro, the more natural and familiar tamping pressure will be using other tampers in the future. Stick with it...it's a great unit. I'm keeping mine for occasional 'refamiliarization' of proper force. :)
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > I just...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.487982988358)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+