Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
HELP:  my HX machine is alternating between steam and water out of the brew head
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > HELP:  my HX...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
caeffe

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: NS Oscar & Pavoni...
Grinder: Mazzer Major / PeDe Moka
Vac Pot: eSantos / Yama tabletop
Drip: Krups Moka Brew / Bodum Kona
Roaster: I-Roast 1
Posted Tue Nov 6, 2007, 3:41pm
Subject: HELP:  my HX machine is alternating between steam and water out of the brew head

I posted this in a thread about my new NS Oscar but I thought i'd start a separate thread on this as it may be generic to more than just Oscar's.

I adjusted my Simonelli Oscar's Sirai P-stat last night after adjusting the brew head pressure.  measures approx 18-19 psi so lets say 1.2 bar.  turned off the machine

This morning i made 2 shots to check it - i thought the shot was still kinda sour but the bitter edge is gone ..... turned off the machine
This evening turned it on again, let it warm up, opened up steam wand.  measured 18-19 psi.

Prepared to make a shot and started flushing routine - i was getting major water dance out the brew head, eventually it was just steam then it would be a smooth stream of water, then steam, then gurgling water, then steam etc.....

What's going on?  is the boiler temp adjusted too high?  is my vibe pump shot?  the pump is making a different noise - not as loud as before.  It seems that the water is not coming out as much - so I checked with my DIY brew press gauge and it still reads >130 psi eventually.
 View Profile Link to this post
mitchellb

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Drip: Hario Pourover
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Nov 6, 2007, 3:48pm
Subject: Re: HELP:

sounds like the vibe pump to me.. no reason steam would come out unless there was so little water that the water woudl flash heat to steam in the HX tube (if you can get what i mean by that).. Make sure your pump is not leaking anywhere.. also turn your machine on from cold and see if you can pump out water..

other than that i will have to defer to the big guns
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Tue Nov 6, 2007, 4:20pm
Subject: Re: Help:

caeffe Said:

I posted this in a thread about my new NS Oscar but I thought i'd start a separate thread on this as it may be generic to more than just Oscar's.

Prepared to make a shot and started flushing routine - i was getting major water dance out the brew head, eventually it was just steam then it would be a smooth stream of water, then steam, then gurgling water, then steam etc.....

Posted November 6, 2007 link

Sounds like air bubbles or pockets in the HX lines.

What's going on?  is the boiler temp adjusted too high?  is my vibe pump shot?  the pump is making a different noise - not as loud as before.  It seems that the water is not coming out as much - so I checked with my DIY brew press gauge and it still reads >130 psi eventually.

That's 8.84 bar, a little low I'd think as a static/stagnation (no flow) pressure should be 10 bar., & the resultant dynamic or running pressure would be approx 1 bar lower, or 9 bar.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
caeffe

Posted Tue Nov 6, 2007, 4:24pm

mitchellb Said:

sounds like the vibe pump to me.. no reason steam would come out unless there was so little water that the water woudl flash heat to steam in the HX tube (if you can get what i mean by that)..

which is why i thought that maybe i had adusted the temp/pressure too high.  but i don't think that's the case since the pressure out of the steam wand was less than 20 psig.  although... i was using a 0-160 psig tire gauge so maybe at that low pressures the gauge is inaccurate

Make sure your pump is not leaking anywhere..

i don't see any leaks, at least not on the counter

also turn your machine on from cold and see if you can pump out water..

did that also, let the machine cool off and turned it on before it reheated.   hardly any water came out - i was getting water, then hissing w/o water, then water, etc....

i was thinking i had to 'reprime' so i went ahead and turned off the machine, let it cool down, turned it back on, open the steam wand (obviously no steam at this point) and hit the brew button.  same thing:  water, hissing, water, hissing, etc...

CraigA Said:

Sounds like air bubbles or pockets in the HX lines.

so how do i get rid of these bubbles / air pockets?  or rather, how did i get them?

CraigA Said:

That's 8.84 bar, a little low I'd think as a static/stagnation (no flow) pressure should be 10 bar., & the resultant dynamic or running pressure would be approx 1 bar lower, or 9 bar.

understood, i know i'll have to check it with flow but i bought wrong size fittings to make the gauge with a needle valve.  i'll readjust to 10 bar (~145)
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Tue Nov 6, 2007, 4:47pm

caeffe Said:

so how do i get rid of these bubbles / air pockets?  or rather, how did i get them?

Sounds like an air leak somewhere maybe around the vibe pump IP/OP line/s. In the same vein as a car/truck intake manifold air leak..

understood, i know i'll have to check it with flow but i bought wrong size fittings to make the gauge with a needle valve.  i'll readjust to 10 bar (~145)

Close enough & I don't want to split hairs or anything, but 1 bar is 14.7psi @ sea level., rounded off to 15psi.., so your pressure would be 147 - 150psi. {;-)

View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
caeffe

Posted Tue Nov 6, 2007, 5:25pm

CraigA Said:

Sounds like an air leak somewhere maybe around the vibe pump IP/OP line/s. In the same vein as a car/truck intake manifold air leak..

I'll have to check again.  I'd expect to see a puddle under the machine if this was the case - and I do recall having to wipe the counter down a bit after all the adjusting I did.  I attributed it to a leak on the OPV valve after I adjusted it (see my post:   leak after OPV adjustment ) maybe one of the lines worked loose.

on the NS Oscar where is the vibe pump?  I can't seem to locate it after pulling the top.

i'm already getting caffeine espresso withdrawal just thinking that i can't make any espresso shots .....

;-(
caeffe

Posted Tue Nov 6, 2007, 10:43pm

well, i tried it again this afternoon

thought i'd measure the pressure again.  it looks like the pump only puts out 20-30 psig now ....
i get water coming out when its started from cold but its very low volume

once the machine warms up i get the steam, water

also, the pump is not as loud anymore, almost sounds like its just the autofill pump only

also no leaks .... there is no water under the machine
TimEggers
TimEggers

Espresso: QM Anita, Cappuccino Amore
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Mazzer SJ
Vac Pot: Antique McKee, Santos
Drip: Pour Over, Bodum Presses
Roaster: RK Drum
Posted Tue Nov 6, 2007, 10:56pm

CraigA Said:

I think this is really a matter of personal preference.  On my Anita I run with a stagnate pressure of 7.75 bar on my dial.  The espresso is damn good.  Adjust the pressure until the espresso tastes good, I wouldn't put too much stock in dials and numbers.

Tim Eggers
http://www.facebook.com/TimEggers
http://twitter.com/Tim_Eggers
http://www.youtube.com/user/TimEggers
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
mitchellb

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Drip: Hario Pourover
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Nov 6, 2007, 11:30pm
Subject: Re: HELP:  my HX machine is alternating between steam and water out of the brew

open the machine up.. when i was using a pressure gauge without a needle valve i sprung a leak in the pump that was dripping on to my boiler and flash evaporating.

You might just need a new pump, not the worst thing you could do to your machine. It just puts a lot of back pressure ony nour pump when you are running it for 7-8 seconds with no outflow but teh opv
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Wed Nov 7, 2007, 8:00am

TimEggers Said:

I think this is really a matter of personal preference.

Quite true.

On my Anita I run with a stagnate pressure of 7.75 bar on my dial. The espresso is damn good.

Ok, that'd be approx 6.75 bar/99psi then. Conventional wisdom says brew pressure should be 9 bar/132psi, but hey., if it work for you that's great!

Adjust the pressure until the espresso tastes good, I wouldn't put too much stock in dials and numbers.

Hmmm.., well the manufacturer does put them there for a good reason.. & it's good to adjust & have control of the variables when using different espresso blends.
I can think of 2 different blends I use with completely different brewing parameters!

showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > HELP:  my HX...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.589155197144)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+