Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
The Rancilio S20 Series Thread (S24, S26, S27)
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > The Rancilio S20...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 26 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
jacbri
jacbri
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio S26
Grinder: La Pavoni Zip/Astoria Super...
Roaster: Behmor 1600/digital scale
Posted Mon Dec 17, 2007, 8:23pm
Subject: Re: OFFICIAL Rancilio S20 series Thread S24, S26, S27

mitchellb Said:

I am getting my S27 in on Thursday via UPS. I am looking forward to conferring with you guys and troubleshooting all the potential problems.

Have any of you guys descaled the boiler on your machines? any tips/tricks outside of the normal (or not so normal, but PITA) HX descale?

Posted December 16, 2007 link

I used muriatic acid because it was pretty bad. I would take it apart, not too tough, grab a digital camera and tape yourself taking things apart. Make sure to get an extra boiler gasket.... talk about a PITA leak I had. Use telfon tape on everything (yellow roll). Also I have some tips on a leaking steam wand I fixed.

Let us know how it goes!
 View Profile Link to this post
cjbrubaker

Espresso: Rancilio S24, Silvia PID,...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini E type B
Vac Pot: Yama 4-cup
Posted Mon Dec 17, 2007, 8:59pm

jacbri Said:

I used muriatic acid ...

Posted December 17, 2007 link

Why did you use muriatic acid? I have a hard time thinking of another acid I'd want to use less. That stuff stinks to high heaven - like vomit if I remember correctly. I guess you'd definitely know when it's all out?

I should be receiving an S24 tomorrow that will need to be descaled. I'd like to use citric acid, but my local homebrew store didn't have it. They did have "star san," a phosphoric acid solution. Yes, it's the same stuff as in coca cola, but a LOT more concentrated. I decided to skip it and start with a bunch of lemon juice and salt and see what happens. Next on the list is vinegar unless I hear some other suggestions from here. After that it's glacial acetic acid, then hydrofluoric for the last bits. Just kidding on those last two.

Here are a couple threads I've been reading to figure this out:

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

Click Here (expobarownersgroup.com)

http://s1cafe.com/wforum/viewtopic.php?t=210

Click Here (stason.org)
mitchellb

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Drip: Hario Pourover
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Dec 17, 2007, 9:28pm

cjbrubaker Said:

I should be receiving an S24 tomorrow

was that off ebay?? good deal.
ByronA

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Rancilio S24, KitchenAid...
Grinder: Compak K5, KitchenAid...
Vac Pot: Don't want one
Drip: Don't want one
Roaster: Will eventually get one
Posted Mon Dec 17, 2007, 9:34pm

Cool! I'm happy to see these S Series are finding new homes. These wouldn't be deals from e-bay would they? I saw a few there recently. But I need to know, what is the salt for? I think I would lean towards the lemon juice first myself. I am planning a descaling at the end of January.

I'm not so sure I would go to the extreme of ripping it apart unless it really needs it. As a 20 year troubleshooting veteran who spent many hours as a rookie trying to fix something I broke while fixing something that wasn't broke, I have seen the light! If it ain't broke, don't fix it. However, if you have to go in there, you might as well do it right.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
cjbrubaker

Posted Tue Dec 18, 2007, 5:53am

mitchellb Said:

was that off ebay?? good deal.

No, that was a good deal though. That machine turned out to be a S27. I found mine through craigslist a couple weeks ago.

And re: the salt- I don't know what it's for. The salt + lemon juice was recommended by an old bartender friend of mine, so take it with a grain of salt, so to speak.
mitchellb

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Drip: Hario Pourover
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Dec 18, 2007, 8:29am

it was an S26 bc it has teh rotary pump.. the S27 (the one I am getting) has the full computer control board (honenstly I'd rather have an S26.. I am pumped for the rotary, though)

Like Byron, I would just start with lemon juice as well, myself. Totally foodsafe, and you have little chance of getting salt everywhere. And if you run salt throguh you machine (pump, group, etc) you will have a big broken machine..

If you do use salt jsut make sure you get every bit of it out of therebefore you hit the switch.
cjbrubaker

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2007, 7:08am

The S24 arrived yesterday in one of the biggest boxes I've ever seen, but it looked unharmed.

Before descaling, I decided to try filling the boiler and see what happened. The boiler filled without incident (done in several 30 seconds spurts), then I turned it off and let it sit overnight.

This morning I fired it up again and let it go for about 45 minutes. The boiler gets hot enough hot enough that if I put some water on finger and touch it, it sizzles. Water temp coming out of the group hasn't been tested yet, but I get just a hint of flash-boil, so it sounds OK.

A couple questions though- Nothing at all comes out of the steam or hot water wands, open or closed. Is this likely just scale, and if so, if there's no flow through there, how should I go about getting it out? Any other likely explanations?

And I can't seem to figure how to get the back panel off. It seems to jam on the right side, looking from the front (business end) of the machine.

Any suggestions?
MXJ

Espresso: Rancilio S20 3 DE, Silvia
Grinder: La San Marco SM 95
Posted Thu Dec 20, 2007, 4:27pm

Dear Group

I just bought a Rancilio System 3 A DE on EBay, very much the same as the photo posted by bantam, but it is in need of a restoration.

I have read through all the valuable information posted by Paul Pratt on restoration of old machines, but has anyone have some tips or tricks uniquely to the S20 range?

Regards

MXJ
ByronA

Espresso: Rancilio S24, KitchenAid...
Grinder: Compak K5, KitchenAid...
Vac Pot: Don't want one
Drip: Don't want one
Roaster: Will eventually get one
Posted Thu Dec 20, 2007, 8:15pm

Sorry, I can't help you there. I am a relatively new owner of my Rancilio. I would suggest you contact Bantam. Try to search the web for some schematics and functional diagrams before you start, and take lots of pictures as you disassemble. I would also suggest you get some spare gaskets. Make sure you open up the boiler and give it a really good inspection. There is a thread going around that discusses some pretty disgusting contents in the boiler...like goey stuff and cockroaches. I know I will be doing a thorough inspection of any used machine I ever buy after reading that.

Good Luck!

I had been planning on putting this in for a while. Here is my baby!

ByronA: Rancilio S24 29211.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
cjbrubaker

Posted Sat Dec 29, 2007, 6:07am

cjbrubaker Said:

A couple questions though- Nothing at all comes out of the steam or hot water wands, open or closed. Is this likely just scale, and if so, if there's no flow through there, how should I go about getting it out? Any other likely explanations?

And I can't seem to figure how to get the back panel off. It seems to jam on the right side, looking from the front (business end) of the machine.

Any suggestions?

Posted December 19, 2007 link

I think all the problems are now solved; just one more question...

After completely disassembling and re-building the steam and hot water valves with the existing parts (new ones haven't arrived yet) I found that I simply wasn't opening up the valves far enough! :) I'm used to a Silvia and Gaggia Espresso, where the steam flows right after the knob bottoms out. These valves open up midway through their range of travel, and are a very different experience. And they don't leek at all!

The back panel came off after unscrewing 2 semi-hidden screws near the water reservoir.

And somehow the pump ran dry in this process. My god do they sound awful when dry! I thought I'd fried it, but I filled the tube with water and blew into it when I turned it on, and it re-filled with water and works fine! So now the machine is fully functional- I'm so excited!

Before I replace all the exterior panels, I'd like to insulate the boiler. Anyone know where I can get the boiler insulation that ships on the Epoca series (S-1, ST-1, or E-1), or something comparable?
showing page 2 of 26 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > The Rancilio S20...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.425801038742)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+