Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Can the pump pressure on the Isomac Venus be adjusted?
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Can the pump...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
nmayweather

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: expobar office, isomac venus
Grinder: mini mazzer
Vac Pot: bodum santos
Drip: mr coffee sp3
Roaster: toastmaster popper
Posted Mon Sep 27, 2004, 7:43pm
Subject: Re: Can the pump pressure on the Isomac Venus be adjusted?

PID'ing it doesn't look hard

PID'ing it right, however, does look to be hard.  The 'tail' version of PID's looked to be the most attractive to me, but too many long wires were involved, as well as a project box.  Thats two things i hate.

There's room for a front mount, but I have reservations about hurting her look and feel on the top.  The bottom, behind the splashplate, is too short by 25mm or so, based on most of the PID units i've found

The only place i can imagine sticking a PID, is on her side -- somewhere below the steam knob.  I measured out the internals, and most units will fit nicely.

Before I go that far though, I want to try insulating the boiler and replacing the plate and screen on the grouphead.  I *think* that should help a bit.

BTW, i found a dumb trick to get her hot faster --  I drop the PF on the grill and push the steam wand over it on high for a minute. Then I lock the pf in and run 6oz of water through the grouphead.   (HX machines do it to cool down, why can't single boilers do it to warm up?)

She goes from cold to too hot to touch in a few minutes.  Perfect.
 View Profile Link to this post
bobpaule
bobpaule

Espresso: Vetrano, Venus, Enrico...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Rancilio Rocky...
Drip: I'd rather seize!
Roaster: Galloping G/Stir Crazy, FR8...
Posted Tue Sep 28, 2004, 4:10pm

Oh yes the bimetal thermostat needs a kick and so do the cups as the tray does not keep them warm at all. So what i do is remove the PF (which i always keep in the GH loosely screwed in to keep hot) and run water into the cup until the boiler light comes on. In fact i learned that it is about 5-15 secs after an Illy cup is full that the light will come on. This gives me time to grind on my Rocky SD. I lock in PF once the light comes on and start the extraction after the light goes off. AnotherJim "learned me" the trick with the thermostat.

Love the Yemen Moka Sanani done in my GG/Stir Crazy setup. The Venus is at work so i roast 1 lb at home on Sundays to last me the whole week. The flavor is esp intense on TUE-THU then sorta gets slightly weaker. I keep the leftovers from the batch in the freezer among my coworkers hamburger patties and popsicles (ok ok a classier chick even has Haagen Dazs in there when not on the size 5 diet:))))

Bob
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JonR10
JonR10
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Sep 28, 2004, 6:11pm

bobpaule Said:

Love the Yemen Moka Sanani done in my GG/Stir Crazy setup.  The flavor is esp intense on TUE-THU then sorta gets slightly weaker.

Posted September 28, 2004 link

Sounds exactly like one of my VERY favorites!!  I just used my GG/SC to roast some Moka Sanani Yemen last night!  Almost can't wait until tomorrow to make espresso shots out of it.

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
nmayweather

Posted Tue Sep 28, 2004, 6:23pm

GG/SC ?
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Sep 28, 2004, 6:34pm

nmayweather Said:

GG/SC ?

Posted September 28, 2004 link

Yes.  GG/SC refers to the appliance combination for roasting coffee.  It's a Galloping Gourmet convection oven lid (GG) with a Stir Crazy popcorn popper base (SC)

Look HERE for some information.  
There's also a couple of threads here at CG about this combo like this...  
"Stir Crazy/Galloping fixes and enhancements"

The combo can easily roast 1/2 to 1 pound in a batch and costs ~$75 to make.

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
anotherjoshua

Espresso: isomac venus
Posted Sat Jan 6, 2007, 10:58pm

i am totally confused. is it the metal that the plastic tube is connected to? beind the boiler in the middle of the machine?

josh
iZappa
iZappa

Espresso: Isomac Millenium
Grinder: Anfim Haus, Ascaso i-2,...
Drip: French press will do
Roaster: Gene Cafe
Posted Sun Jan 7, 2007, 4:34am

I have some concerns regarding this tweak. I tried it myself on my Venus a couple of months ago and the two major concerns which I realized was:

1. The pressure gauge is mounted directly on the boiler. Doesn't this mean that the gauge reads the pressure of the pump and not the actual pressure of water going through the puck. I'm thinking that it gives a fault reading of pressure in the puck.

2. If one tweaks the bypass valve and cuts down the spring. Very much hot water will go in circle from the boiler into the water reservoir and then into the boiler again. This leads to less temperature stability and causes the boiler to cool down during a shot. And especially for consecutive shoots.

The reason that I'm concerned with number two is that my temperature measurements of the Venus shows that it delivers a tad to low brew temperature in the first place, with brew temperatures from 93 - 89 degrees. If one just approaches the machine after it has been idle for a long period of time I've done measurements of temperatures down to 85 degrees. Thatís why I think emptying the boiler would cause more harm than good.

But if anyone have other ways of explaining this I'd be more that happy to reconsider my points.

Let's make the water turn black
nmayweather

Posted Wed Jan 10, 2007, 11:25am

izappa:
 1) No.   it gives the correct reading of puck pressure.   The pressure of the pump on the boiler is what forces water through the puck ( and limited by the OPV )
 2) Yes.  The reason for this is that Isomac are cheap bastards.  every other configuration out there has the OPV valve BEFORE the boiler and a steam release valve on the boiler.  Instead of doing that, Isomac merged the steam release and OPV valve into a single valve AFTER the boiler.  

You only need to limit the pump to 9bars for ristrettos.  A good espresso puck will be in the  8-10bars of resistance range.  A good ristretto puck will create 11-14 bars of resistance - so you need the  OPV to keep the  pressure down.

The venus has a tiny  boiler -- .3 liters.   It also has a massive heating element.   That said, you can't do back-to-back shots under any conditions -- but it only takes about a minute to get things stabilized again.

anoterjoshua-

Yes.  The sililcon tube goes into a T.  the left of the T has a barb that can be tightened/loosened -- that is the OPV.  The right of the T is the steam want path.  The bottom of the T is the  boiler feed.
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Can the pump...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.438241004944)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+