Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
2001 Rio Single Group Help?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > 2001 Rio Single...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
singham

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Aug 5, 2007, 3:18pm
Subject: 2001 Rio Single Group Help?

Well I've gone and made a mess for myself with this one.  I am an espresso newbie.  In a nutshell I traded a customer for a very nice condition Rio espresso machine about a year ago.  The unit has been sitting in my break room at work for the last year.  The problem is I went and offered my "Barista" services for a car show hospitality booth this weekend....I mean how difficult could it be, plug it in, put some beans in and press the button.  You can know see my problem, and I know realize that their is a huge coffee world out there that I have never even thought about.  Any suggestions that you could provide would be appreciated.  (Yes I already understand I'm an idiot to offer up services that I have no knowledge to deliver :)

I have tossed 30/40 shots down the drain so far.  I have proper boiler pressure, and pump pressure, however a double shot (2 oz's and 16G of coffee) is being dispensed in 4-6 seconds with no Crema.

I am using a Rancilio Rocky grinder, and I have tried multiple grinds.  I am tamping.  The beans were Starbucks (best Buy Nov. 3, purchased last night)  I will try beans from a local roaster tomorrow.

Any suggestions?  Anyone happen to have a manual for one of these machines?

Any help sincerely appreciated.  I do not like the idea of serving sub-par drinks next weekend.

Thanks,

Scott
 View Profile Link to this post
Psyd
Psyd
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Astoria Argenta SAE II,...
Grinder: Rio and Astoria (Mazzer)...
Posted Sun Aug 5, 2007, 6:33pm
Subject: Re: 2001 Rio Single Group Help?

singham Said:

(Yes I already understand I'm an idiot to offer up services that I have no knowledge to deliver :)

I have tossed 30/40 shots down the drain so far.  I have proper boiler pressure, and pump pressure, however a double shot (2 oz's and 16G of coffee) is being dispensed in 4-6 seconds with no Crema.

I am using a Rancilio Rocky grinder, and I have tried multiple grinds.  I am tamping.  The beans were Starbucks (best Buy Nov. 3, purchased last night)  I will try beans from a local roaster tomorrow.

Posted August 5, 2007 link

Well, what would you say to a volunteer that walked into your business with secondhand tools and absolutely no experience who wanted to (what, work on custom cars?  just a guess...) work without training and supervision? Yeah, you'd say, "no way".  Alright, enough of that, you admitted that it was an idiot move.

It ain't the gear, it's the coffee.  You need fresh coffee, and you need to get thee away from Starbucks, and don't look back.  Fresh roasted coffee comes of age three to five days after roasting, and is considered useless and stale after about two weeks.  Nov 3rd indeed.  Find a local coffeeshop, one that has a roaster in it, or is associated with a local roaster, or has their beans shipped in at least once a week.  Any coffee that doesn't boast a recent roast date is coffee for lesser beings, and crema will not be forthcoming.  ; >  Just kidding!  Not really, though.
I'd suggest that you bite the bullet and hire someone that has experience, or pay some local barista to train you with the machine and some fresh roasted beans.  Faking it is just gonna get things more pear-shaped. Remember, when you find yourself stuck in a hole, the best thing yo can do is to stop digging.
If you get fresh beans, and pull off a grind tamp technique that gets you an ounce and a half to two ounces in 25 to 30 seconds with a generous head of Guinness-like crema and fall, you might go ahead and try to go it yourself, but if this is important to you, seek professional help.

http://members.cox.net/gearsale/Astoria
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Aug 5, 2007, 6:45pm

First things first - welcome to CoffeeGeek!!  

Psyd Said:

It ain't the gear, it's the coffee.  

He's right ya know...
And if you want to practice with old and stale Starbies beans then set the grind MUCH finer.  

Psyd Said:

If you get fresh beans, and pull off a grind tamp technique that gets you an ounce and a half to two ounces in 25 to 30 seconds with a generous head of Guinness-like crema and fall, you might go ahead ......

......and start working on your milk techniques because 90% of your customers will want milk drinks (unless it's a serious CG crowd)

Now, do we have any Senior members in his area who'd like to help him out?

Again, welcome to coffeegeek!

singham Said:

Any help sincerely appreciated.  I do not like the idea of serving sub-par drinks next weekend.

Now - what do you consider par?

Here's what I consider "par" for a cappucino.....

JonR10: IMG_0314.JPG
(Click for larger image)

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
singham

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Aug 6, 2007, 9:11pm

Hi Gents,

Well I would have never imagined that the coffee grind could make such a difference.  With a much finer grind I am know getting 2 oz's in 23-25 seconds with a little bit of crema.  Tomorrow I will start with local beans that were roasted today and see what that brings.  I was dis-appointed as I showed up at a local coffee shop in town that has the identical machine to mine, accept in a 2 group.  Asked for an espresso figuring I would get to watch someone with skills operate the machine.  Unfortunately, their espresso was on par with what I was pouring down the drain most of last night.

Thanks for the suggestions...I guess I will start reading up on the milk issues as suggested.

Cheers,

Scott
Psyd
Psyd

Espresso: Astoria Argenta SAE II,...
Grinder: Rio and Astoria (Mazzer)...
Posted Tue Aug 7, 2007, 4:46pm

singham Said:

Hi Gents,

Tomorrow I will start with local beans that were roasted today and see what that brings.  

Unfortunately, their espresso was on par with what I was pouring down the drain most of last night.

I guess I will start reading up on the milk issues as suggested.

Posted August 6, 2007 link

Good luck!  Remember, the roast date on the beans. It should be a few days post-roast, at least, and less than two weeks.  If it is, you may find yourself dialing that grinder right back out to where you started. Fresh beans require a less fine grind than stale, and a full city roast requires a less fine grind than Starbuck's' usually char-broiled offerings.

Of course, the PBTC at this coffee joint may not be the ones that you want giving you instruction!  Find a place that can produce something along the lines of JonR's 'par' and you'll have found your mentor in this endeavour!

Read up on the microfoam techniques in the Latter Art section. Even if you're not pouring art, microfoaming techniques are what makes a cappu really good.

http://members.cox.net/gearsale/Astoria
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > 2001 Rio Single...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Espresso Makers
Premium stovetop espresso makers, electric moka pots, machines & accessories.
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.525603055954)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+