Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
External water level indicator for Andreja
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > External water...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
s0uthpaw

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Jun 25, 2007, 2:52am
Subject: External water level indicator for Andreja

My Andreja Premium cuts off mid-shot, and without warning, when the water level falls too low. As there is no external water level indicator, this can become frustrating.

Where my machine is currently positioned, hooking it to the water mains is not an option.

Does anyone know of a mod, or an independent water level indicator that I can stand in the water reservoir to monitor the level?
 View Profile Link to this post
PJK
PJK

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Mon Jun 25, 2007, 11:45am
Subject: Re: External water level indicator for Andreja

About a couple of months ago someone posted the same question for a Silvia.  It started me thinking.  I am planning such a device with no cutting of the machine.  When I finish it I will try to post pictures.  It may be adaptable to the Andreja.

Phil

s0uthpaw Said:

My Andreja Premium cuts off mid-shot, and without warning, when the water level falls too low. As there is no external water level indicator, this can become frustrating.

Where my machine is currently positioned, hooking it to the water mains is not an option.

Does anyone know of a mod, or an independent water level indicator that I can stand in the water reservoir to monitor the level?

Posted June 25, 2007 link

Philip J. Keleshian
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
KeenBean
KeenBean

Espresso: Andreja Premium
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Posted Mon Jun 25, 2007, 7:33pm

s0uthpaw Said:

Posted June 25, 2007 link

s0uthpaw -

Are you sure you need to worry about a mod?  It actually sounds to me as though you have a defect in your normal water level monitoring system.  I'm not sure if you're covered under warranty, or how handy you may be yourself, but there are 2 magnetic sensors that should do this for you, and give you at least 2 shots worth during the "audible" alert that the water level is too low.  I think it's documented to be 4 shots, but I've never tried to run it that dry.... :)

Let me know if you want me to check out my machine a little closer to either post pictures or compare it to your own config to try troubleshoot if you think it'll help.

Cheers!

KeenBean
s0uthpaw

Posted Tue Jun 26, 2007, 8:56am

Thanks KeenBean.

I get no audible warning from my machine! It is likely that the machine may be faulty, but right now it is probably outside warranty. Where is the speaker located?

s0uthpaw
chriscoffee

Expertise: Professional

Posted Tue Jun 26, 2007, 5:19pm

He is in Ireland and does not have one of my machines with the floats and audible alert.

Chris Nachtrieb, pres.
Chris' Coffee Service, Inc.
KeenBean
KeenBean

Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Posted Tue Jun 26, 2007, 6:31pm

chriscoffee Said:

He is in Ireland and does not have one of my machines with the floats and audible alert.

Chris Nachtrieb, pres.

Posted June 26, 2007 link

Hey Chris!  

Thanks for the clarification... I just made an assumption that all "Premium" Andreja's were modified as the ones you resell, but that is great to know.  

Just to eliminate any further assumptions, I would suspect that s0uthpaw could place and order for those types of parts to add to his configuration - would that be correct?

Personally, I think it's a great addition to machines that aren't plumbed in - but I'm using mine often enough (and consequently, hearing that alert) that I'm working with Chris' Canadian counterpart in Edmonton, AB to work on getting my direct connect kit shortly.  I may be contacting you Chris to order the filter / softner setup you offer, but I'll talk to Joe from CaffeTech first to see if he resells those too.

KeenBean
scrutinizer

Grinder: Vario, Rocky
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: French Press
Roaster: Alpenrost, Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Jun 28, 2007, 10:49am

Just a thought,

Provided you could get a replacement water tank (in case you screw up), you COULD try drilling a hole in the side of the tank, near the bottom, run a small food grade clear plastic tube through the hole (hole needs to be sealed with an appropriate food grade sealant...perhaps some sort of sealable flange or tap could be installed...for example a short food grade plastic pipe threaded on one or both ends, with plastic nuts and and rubber washers to seal), run the tubing down and out of the machine (perhaps through the covered hole in the bottom, provided there is room), and affix up the side of the machine to a point level with the top of the water tank.  This should show the water level in the tank (could even "hide" it behind the machine and affix to the top rail w/ a small tie).  This could be tested prior to mods just to ensure the "physics" is correct but I'm pretty sure the water would flow into the tube to the same level as in the tank.  Extra care would be needed in ensuring the tube exit at the tank is sealed to avoid leaks.

A simpler solution would be to figure out your water use per # of shots and then regularly add the correct volume of water (e.g., every 2 shots add X number of oz's).  I use this approach and only hit "empty" when I forget to add water :).

Pat
s0uthpaw

Posted Thu Jun 28, 2007, 11:17am

scrutinizer Said:

...you COULD try drilling a hole in the side of the tank, near the bottom, run a small food grade clear plastic tube through the hole...

Posted June 28, 2007 link

I like that idea. I might give it a go. It certainly seems to be the easiest. If I do, I'll let you know.

s0uthpaw
Jeff_K
Jeff_K

Espresso: LaCimbali Junior D/1,...
Grinder: LaCimbali Junior, Rio...
Drip: Presto Scandinavian, Bodum...
Roaster: Hottop KN8828, Kitchen...
Posted Thu Jun 28, 2007, 11:36am

That should work since water finds its own level, and this is sort of how my drip coffeemaker indicates the water level.  I'd toss a little plastic colored float ball in the tubing to make it easier to see.
curtrowe
curtrowe
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Andreja Premium
Grinder: Baratza W, MACAP M4
Vac Pot: Bodum French press
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Jabez Burns & Sons 3 head...
Posted Thu Jun 28, 2007, 1:38pm

Another mod you could do without touching the tank would be to create a float with a rod attached to it.  Place it in the tank so the rod comes up through the fill hole.  In order to keep the rod perpendicular to the top of the water you might have replace the fill hold cover with one with a tube through which the rod can pass.  Then put a mark on the rod indicating the level at which the tank has to be refilled.

Curt
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > External water...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.442102193832)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+