Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Quickmill 3035 or Rancilio Silvia?
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Quickmill 3035...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
tacoekkel

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Krups
Posted Sat Jun 2, 2007, 9:06am
Subject: Quickmill 3035 or Rancilio Silvia?

Hi folks,

I'm stepping up from a creaky Krups to the real deal. I am considering these options:

• rancilio silvia (everyone can't stop talking about how it's the best and it's a good offer both on paper and to look at)
  • quickmill 3035 which is a 3000 with a built-in mill (an espresso store over here will sell it to me with a big showroom markdown, putting it only a little bit above the rancilio in price)

My gut feeling tells me to go with the quickmill:
  • it's got thermoblocks instead of a boiler, meaning instant steam, less hassle, more durable, more heat
  • it's got a built in grinder, with a timer to boot (making it effectively less expensive as I'd have to buy a tigrinder to go with the rancilio)

What do y'all think? Curious to hear any experience with the quickmill (also the brand in general) as it's hard to get information about them (they seem absent on this website apart from the professional range)

Thank you very much!

Taco (aspiring to be home barista)
 View Profile Link to this post
Kristi
Kristi
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Evo w silvia wand
Grinder: Macap M4 mod to d&s-less
Roaster: (Jeff at Redbirdcoffee)
Posted Sat Jun 2, 2007, 12:15pm
Subject: Re: Quickmill 3035 or Rancilio Silvia?

see if you can find a manual for the 3000 and post a link for it.

I can't find detailed info on it.   It is thermoblock which makes it similar to some Krupps.  

No 3-way solenoid as far as I can find.   Solis would be better

So of the 2 I would choose the Silvia, but I would never choose a Silvia.  I would go with LeLit or Venus.

#--> I recommend Eric Svendson's adapter and thermometer for E61s (also Silvia) : easy surfing!
# My photo albums have moved to     http://picasaweb.google.com/krislema2
tacoekkel

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Krups
Posted Sat Jun 2, 2007, 5:37pm

@Kristi - thanks for your feedback.

No manual, but some specs at www.quickmill-espresso.ch/help/serie_03000.pdf. It is a HX machine with copper plumbing, does that make any difference? One of the pluses is that espresso and steam can be used immediately after eachother.

With a single boiler machine like the Silvia, can anyone tell me how long do you have to wait for the machine to heat up between pulling an espresso and starting on the milk?

And if I may ask, why never a Silvia?

Thanks again!
Kristi
Kristi
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Evo w silvia wand
Grinder: Macap M4 mod to d&s-less
Roaster: (Jeff at Redbirdcoffee)
Posted Sat Jun 2, 2007, 8:30pm

tacoekkel Said:

@Kristi - thanks for your feedback.

No manual, but some specs at www.quickmill-espresso.ch/help/serie_03000.pdf. It is a HX machine with copper plumbing, does that make any difference? One of the pluses is that espresso and steam can be used immediately after eachother.

With a single boiler machine like the Silvia, can anyone tell me how long do you have to wait for the machine to heat up between pulling an espresso and starting on the milk?

And if I may ask, why never a Silvia?

Thanks again!

Posted June 2, 2007 link

I found this, but I understand little of it http://www.quickmill-espresso.ch/bedienung/quick_3000_ba.pdf

What they mean by "heat exchanger is VERY different from what most folks on this forum mean by it.
Quickmill means that water passes through a thermoblock (shown in the picture) and the thermoblock heats the water to either brewing temp, or if the switch is switched, to steam.

To me an HX is a machine with a tube, carrying brew water, which passes through a boiler.  VERY different.

I think this Quickmill is just a glorified krupps, and is not at all to be compared with a machine with a 3-way solenoid, or a machine with both a 3-way solenoid and an HX.

no 3-way solenoid and no HX: best imho is Solis SL70

3-way solenoid but no HX: look at le'lit or Venus.  Avoid Silvia.

3-way solenoid, E61 thermosyphon brew group, but no HX: Eliane or Alexia http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/home/espresso/alexia

3-way solenoid, E61, and HX: Anita, Bric, Tea, etc, etc, etc

I realize this gets confusing, and manufacturers are often intentionally vague.

A 3-way solenoid buys you dry pucks and a portafilter that can be instantly removed after brewing.

An E61 head (the nose shaped chrome thing) buys you a lot of ease in pulling a good shot.

An HX buys you some isolation from the boiler water temp and much more consistancy of water temp durring pull.

A true HX also buys you no wait between pulling the shot and steaming your milk.

Beyond that, a double boiler buys you better isolation of brew boiler water temp from steam boiler water temp.

As to the Silvia, I found it to be adequate only after I had put 2 PIDs on it - one on the boiler, and one on a heater rope on the brew head which is significantly offset horizontally from the boiler.  Otherwise, constancy of water temp during a pull really sucks.   (just reread your post - warmup on unmodded Silvia is about 45min, on modded Silvia about 30 min, and on E61 HX, about 30.

I first had a Rotel long long ago.  Then got a old version of the Barista, then got a Silvia, then went through a few E61 machines, a Solis SL70, a Cimbali Jr (near commercial), and back to an E61 machine.  For taste and ease an E61 HX is far and away my choice.

Hope that helps a little!

#--> I recommend Eric Svendson's adapter and thermometer for E61s (also Silvia) : easy surfing!
# My photo albums have moved to     http://picasaweb.google.com/krislema2
GD
GD
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Wed Oct 29, 2008, 8:29am

I was in your same spot a month ago. I haven't seen any real reviews for the Quickmill 3000 - 3035 series as it's new to their lineup. So in my opinion and recent experience with the Quickmill, I think it's getting a bad rap before the jury is out. I think the 3000 series was Quickmill's counter to the Silvia and other sub $600 machines. I decided to buy the Quickmill 3004 (Double boiler) cassiopiea after a recommendation from the dealer I purchased it from based on that I made milk based drinks just as much as straight espresso. The 3035 I believe is the same as the 3000 but with the grinder added. With the 3004 I can access hot water for my my cup and then steam milk at the same time I pull a shot. The machine is temp ready in 2-3 minutes and after dialing in my Macap M4 I have pulling Silvia envious shots. My one complaint is the steam wand. For a machine that is known for being steam ready it should have a longer wand and better tip. Hopefully this can be modified. All in all I am very happy with the Quickmill. It's built like a tank compared to the Silvia and the water tank is on the side for easy access so you never have to pull your cups off the warmer. Puck removal is immediate for quick reloading and making espresso drinks one after the other without waiting and with constant temperature control. I only temp surf after too much time has gone by between pulls.  Maintenance wise the water only runs when you prepare coffee or use the steam valve meaning no water is left in the heating block allowing only fresh water to be used from the tank and, of course, no calcification problem. I'm told you only have to decalcify twice a year. I would love to see this machine tested along side of the Silvia and other models in it's price range. I would also like to see which machine lasts the longest.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Quickmill 3035...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.383736848831)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+