Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Easy to clean grouphead?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Easy to clean...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Sun May 5, 2013, 7:52pm
Subject: Re: Easy to clean grouphead?

As with any seized bolt, if you want to remove it easily, hammer it in gently before unscrewing. The external side of the bolt's threading is the part that has been pressed against the solid outer thread. The opposing (Deeper) side is the side gummed up with the tar of a billion coffees.  Put your best-fit screwdriver tip into the bolt, and hammer it firmly but not insanely to separate it from the seized state it is in.
This doesn't need a sticky. This is common sense.
Hold the screw driver by the plastic end. The metal pointy end goes in the fastener.
More importantly:  Don't tighten that bolt too tightly.  For god's sake, people!  That's a stainless steel fastener going into the bottom of a brass boiler!  What do you think is going to happen after you over tighten that damn thing a dozen times?  It ain't gonna be the 30 cent bolt that strips, it'll be your $300+ boiler.  What are you thinking? "Oh, I should tighten it as tight as I can because if it ever loosens my house will fall over"? Take it easy. If it loosens you'll get weird channeling and you'll find and tighten it. Three foot pounds is plenty. It's a metric 6 at best. It's in a brass thread. Settle down.
 View Profile Link to this post
M_R
M_R
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Lelit PL043MM
Posted Thu May 9, 2013, 7:57pm
Subject: Re: Easy to clean grouphead?

I suspect you'll find, Mr Canadian correspondent, that very few of the people having trouble with getting the showerscreen off the showerhead committed the crime of which you accuse 'em.
As I believe I said (or at least I hope I did!), most of us have been able to do this cleaning job without problem for quite a while, before finding that the screw won't come out. Well, not with any degree of ease.
This would mean, doncha think?, that we are aware of the need NOT to tighten the screw overmuch; for had we been doing so, we would've found the problem 'way back.
:-|
No: it's not a matter of our being total dimwits and needing to be told by some that the screwdriver is held by the plastic end, etc., etc.
By all the gods, you're a fairly stroppy bloke, aren't yer?!
Take it easy ...
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Easy to clean...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.361152172089)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+