Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Dremel tool suggestions
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Dremel tool...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
SJM

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: SAMA (2), Maximatic, Cremina...
Grinder: K-10PB, Rancilio MD-50
Vac Pot: no like
Drip: no like
Roaster: HotTop   Huky en route
Posted Fri May 4, 2007, 7:59am
Subject: Dremel tool suggestions

Well, the time as come.  I need a dremel.  I had no idea the term included so many possibilities.  What I need one for today is to clean out the inside of the boiler of my orange Gaggia Baby.  

So, for you folks that know about dremels, what model, brand, etc. do you use/recommend?  I love new tools, so this will be an adventure for me.

Thanks
Susan
 View Profile Link to this post
WonderClown

Espresso: Gave away a Saeco Via Veneto...
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Zassenhaus
Drip: Buchner funnel + vacuum...
Roaster: WB Poppery I
Posted Fri May 4, 2007, 8:43am
Subject: Re: Dremel tool suggestions

First choose corded or cordless.  Corded has more power and is always ready when you need it -- a particular advantage if you use it rarely, because you generally don't want to leave a cordless device charging for long periods.  Cordless is nice to work with and gives you a lot of freedom of location, and is great for working in cramped spaces.  Rechargeable batteries also have a limited lifespan -- after a few years, it will have lost capacity, and will be expensive or impossible to replace.  You'll probably go buy a new tool instead.

Bits from different brands are mostly interchangeable, but fancy attachments (like router attachments, drywall cutting guides, etc) are not.  You definitely want a variable speed model -- not just two speeds, but infinitely variable.  I'm not sure what the point of the digital Dremel model is -- you don't really need that kind of precision in the speed.

Dremel has a very nice, relatively new cordless model called the Stylus.  I haven't tried it, but I lust after it.  Seems like it would be excellent for working in tight spaces or doing detail work.  On the other hand, I was using my corded Dremel a little while back to cut through 2x4s, drywall, and aluminum siding, and I'm pretty thankful that I had not only the extra torque of the corded model, but also a bigger body to hold on to for a steady grip.  DeWalt makes a corded model that seems very similar, and I would probably look at that if I were to buy another corded one, just because DeWalt usually makes pretty tough stuff.  RotoZip is the other big name, and again they're on the brawny side of the scale, for big jobs.  But I'd take that cute little cordless Dremel over any of those for detail work, and I think cleaning out the inside of a boiler would fall in that category.

Essentially, I draw a distinction between hobby stuff (detail work), and construction stuff (cutting holes in siding).  If you want the flexibility to do both, get a corded tool -- probably a Dremel, which I think is really more geared toward the kind of fine control needed for detail work.  You can also get the flexible shaft attachment for a corded tool, which really gives the best of both worlds (other than being able to, say, take it camping).
SJM

Posted Fri May 4, 2007, 9:20am

Whoa, Wonderclown, that was just exactly what I needed.....a way to sort through the possibilities.  I will definitely (ha !!!) be using this tool for small stuff, since I'm really really bad at big stuff, so it looks like I'm going to look for a corded, flexible shaft, variable speed item....

Susan
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Fri May 4, 2007, 9:46am

http://www.dremel.com/en-US  {;-D

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Jeff_K
Jeff_K

Espresso: LaCimbali Junior D/1,...
Grinder: LaCimbali Junior, Rio...
Drip: Presto Scandinavian, Bodum...
Roaster: Hottop KN8828, Kitchen...
Posted Fri May 4, 2007, 10:01am

I have a (corded) variable speed Multi-Pro I believe it's called.  Bought it maybe 10 years ago and it still runs like new and never had to replace anything, even the motor brushes.  It's been incredibly helpful when polishing the brass parts from my machines, including the inner part of the Cimbali portafilters.  Makes them look great when no other cleaners or scrubbing was working.  I also have one of those flexible shafts that allows you to hang the main tool from a hook and just use the flex shaft for grinding, buffing, etc. and it helps a lot when you're doing something that takes a while.  That way you don't have to hold the main tool which can tire your hand out after a while.

Edit:  Mine was a kit that included a hard case and a bunch of accessories and bits.
SJM

Posted Fri May 4, 2007, 10:04am

Well, Craig and 'Spressobean, that set me right up.  
Looks like what I want is a Dremel Multi-Pro (3956-02) with a flex shaft, variable speeds, and a cord....

I'll bet I can get into lots of trouble with that around the house....

S
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Fri May 4, 2007, 10:36am

Very close to the same one I bought 3 years ago. {;-)

CraigA: Dremel 3956-02.jpg

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Everman
Everman

Espresso: Valentina Levetta, Elektra...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Fri May 4, 2007, 10:40am

CraigA Said:

Very close to the same one I bought 3 years ago. {;-)

Posted May 4, 2007 link

I have the exact same box, it's great.
iginfect
iginfect

Espresso: vetrano
Grinder: versalab m3
Vac Pot: yama 5 cup
Drip: melior french press
Roaster: hot top kn-8828p
Posted Fri May 4, 2007, 3:55pm

Been thinking about a Dremel and thanks for all the info. The 3956-02 Variable-Speed Rotary Tool Tool Kit with Flex-Shaft goes for as little as $78 and amazon has an extra 20% off until May 28. click here .

Marvin
SJM

Posted Fri May 4, 2007, 5:40pm

Cool.  I just bought one.
Turns out the $20 is only applicable if you buy something else, but it's still a good deal and qualifies for free shipping....
Susan
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Dremel tool...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.407884836197)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+