Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Taking apart my Orange Italian Baby Gaggia
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Taking apart my...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 9 last page next page
Author Messages
SJM

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: SAMA, Gaggia Classic
Grinder: K-10PB, Rancilio MD-50
Vac Pot: no like
Drip: no like
Roaster: HotTop
Posted Thu May 3, 2007, 1:33pm
Subject: Taking apart my Orange Italian Baby Gaggia

Okay, I've started taking my orange Baby apart and I have two questions:
  1.  Is it possible that the top and bottom parts of the boiler are connected by only three bolts rather than four?  I have the three I can see off, but where the fourth would be seems in accessible.  

2.  I have removed the bolts holding the steam valve to the top of the boiler.  How much oooomph should it take to actually remove the valve?  Is there a gasket in between that has sort of glued them together?   Picture taken before I removed the bolts, by the way...

Susan

SJM: Baby Steam Valve.JPG
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
john_
john_
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale, Cremina
Grinder: Mazzer Major,  Pavoni PGC
Posted Thu May 3, 2007, 2:57pm
Subject: Re: Taking apart my Orange Italian Baby Gaggia

My baby is a 220-V but otherwise looks identical to yours, and yes, there are only 3 bolts holding the boiler together. See the attached picture: the fourth hole is not for a bolt, but is for the thermostat bulb instead (you can see it poking out).

I am not sure how much ooomph to recommend, hopefully someone else has some good advice.  I know there is definitely an o-ring in between the boiler and valve (I still have the extra part), but I don't know if there is any sealant.  I tried to take off my steam valve when I disassembled my boiler, but I ran into the same problem as you.  I gave up and just left the steam valve on.  

John

john_: boiler.jpg
(Click for larger image)
SJM

Posted Thu May 3, 2007, 3:36pm

Thanks, John.

I guess there isn't  -- at least not yet  -- any reason that I have to take off the steam valve, so I won't mess with it at this point.

With the three bolts off the boiler, though, should I now be able to pry the bottom off?  Did THAT take a lot of oomph?

Susan
SJM

Posted Thu May 3, 2007, 3:38pm

Oh, one more question for you, John:

Did you leave the boiler attached to the rest of the machine and just drop the bottom off of it, or did you take it  completely off the housing and remove all of the other switches and hoses and stuff?

S
SJM

Posted Thu May 3, 2007, 3:40pm

Nevermind, John, that was a dumb question.  I see that the bottom of the boiler is firmly attached to "the rest of the housing" and that the top is the part that has to lift off.....duh....But, you can see what I mean that I am a bit slow at this....it takes me a long time to see what I am trying to look at sometimes....
S
SJM

Posted Thu May 3, 2007, 4:56pm
Subject: Re: Taking apart my Orange Italian Baby Gaggia More Questions

What are these two parts:  

The white boxy thingamajig on the right,

and the brass hexagonal tube on the left (that comes off near the bottom of the boiler)??

Thanx
Susan

SJM: Baby unnamed items inside.JPG
(Click for larger image)
john_
john_
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale, Cremina
Grinder: Mazzer Major,  Pavoni PGC
Posted Thu May 3, 2007, 5:39pm

Once the bolts were off, it did not take much oomph to get the top and bottom of the boiler to separate.

The white boxy thing is the controller for the thermostat.  One of the nice features of this machine is that this is adjustable; most single-boiler machines have a nonadjustable thermostat that screws into the top of the boiler.  Your machine has a tube filled with liquid, connected to the white box via a capillary tube.  The expansion of the fluid through the tube actuates the switch inside the white box.  The red-painted screw can be turned to adjust the temperature at which the heating element kicks in.  The only other machine I am aware of that has this type of thermostat is the Isomac Zaffiro, although I am sure there are others.

The brass hex tube is the over-pressure valve (OPV).  It too is adjustable.  If there is too much pressure going into the boiler, it releases some of the water back into the reservoir.  That explains the second tube in the reservoir.  Supposedly you can tweak this to adjust the brew pressure, although I haven't played with it.

I think I have explained these properly, otherwise someone will chime in with corrections.
SJM

Posted Thu May 3, 2007, 6:23pm

Aha!!!!   Very cool.   I had no idea this machine had an OPV or an adjustable thermostat !!!  I can't believe how much I still have to learn !!!!   And, this machine just keeps getting better and better the more I learn about it.

FYI, you may be interested in this information I got today from Edward at PartsGuru relative to the issue of removing the steam valve:

"The pulling out of steam valve will be more time consuming. The connection is with 1/3" insert with an o-ring to seal it. To pull the valve out, you have to insert flat screw driver from opposite sides and lift the valve with equal pressure. The O-ring OR112 gasket will make it hard to pull the valve out. You can strike gently but firmly on the valve flange and the body to loosen it if you can. Make enough lift to insert the flat screw drivers.
You can do it."

I had pretty much decided not to try to remove the steam valve, but we will see after I have succeeded at least in getting the boiler parts apart....

Tomorrow I will attack it all again...

Susan
SJM

Posted Thu May 3, 2007, 7:43pm

Omigosh, just look at all of the gunk inside this Baby's boiler.  
Now I see why I opened it up !!!

SJM: Baby Boiler all gunked up.JPG
(Click for larger image)
Tex
Tex
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Bunn ES-1A (PID'd), Gaggia...
Grinder: Rancilio MD50
Vac Pot: Way too many vintage Silex...
Drip: Melitta Clarity
Roaster: TurboCrazy &...
Posted Thu May 3, 2007, 8:15pm

SJM Said:

Omigosh, just look at all of the gunk inside this Baby's boiler.  
Now I see why I opened it up !!!

Posted May 3, 2007 link

Believe me, I've seen much worse. Get out your Dremel tool & a rotary wire brush attachment & go for it. I suggest a paper mask to keep from breathing in the stuff.

Tex: P6300002.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Tex
--
http://www.tinyurl.com/mb4uj - My coffee pages.

http://www.tinyurl.com/2tnv87 - My 'Guidelines For Newbies' page.

http://www.tinyurl.com/2cr3e2 - I sell things for friends & neighbors here. Can I list something for you?

http://www.tinyurl.com/235dfr - BUG is Bunn User's Group (espresso)
showing page 1 of 9 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Taking apart my...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.426745891571)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+