Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Taking apart my Orange Italian Baby Gaggia
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Taking apart my...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 9 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
john_
john_
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale, Cremina
Grinder: Mazzer Major,  Pavoni PGC
Posted Fri May 4, 2007, 5:13am
Subject: Re: Taking apart my Orange Italian Baby Gaggia

I agree with Tex, it does not look too bad.  I have heard horror stories about corrosion in old Gaggia's, corrosion so bad that that the seal between the top and bottom halves of the boiler breaks down -- see Tex's picture.  It's hard to tell but I don't see any problems like that in yours.  Just scale, which should clean up nicely.  FYI , here is what my boiler looked like when I opened it up: The mating surface looks pretty much the same as yours, and I had no problem cleaning it up and getting a tight seal when reassembling.  I tried several iterations of in situ descaling before opening my boiler, that explains the relative lack of scale inside mine ...  You might try filling the boiler with hot water and citric acid and letting it soak before cleaning.

john_: scale2.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
SJM

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: SAMA (2), Maximatic, Cremina...
Grinder: K-10PB, Rancilio MD-50
Vac Pot: no like
Drip: no like
Roaster: HotTop   Huky en route
Posted Fri May 4, 2007, 6:41am

Dremel tool?  Whazzat????   Nevermind, I'll go Googling and find out.

Thanks for your words of encouragement.  Actually when I opened it up and saw the accumulation, I was thrilled that I had decided to go for it and it had been worth the effort.  I had hesitated to try anything this complicated, but as I proceed one slow step at a time, I'm gaining a huge amount of information and confidence and when I get done I'm really really really gonna live THIS Baby.

Time to pull a shot with my Gaggia Coffee and then head out to find a Dremel....

Susan
john_
john_

Posted Fri May 4, 2007, 10:32am
Subject: Re: Taking apart my Orange Italian Baby Gaggia More Questions

SJM Said:

FYI, you may be interested in this information I got today from Edward at PartsGuru relative to the issue of removing the steam valve:

"The pulling out of steam valve will be more time consuming. The connection is with 1/3" insert with an o-ring to seal it. To pull the valve out, you have to insert flat screw driver from opposite sides and lift the valve with equal pressure. The O-ring OR112 gasket will make it hard to pull the valve out. You can strike gently but firmly on the valve flange and the body to loosen it if you can. Make enough lift to insert the flat screw drivers.
You can do it."

I had pretty much decided not to try to remove the steam valve, but we will see after I have succeeded at least in getting the boiler parts apart....

Tomorrow I will attack it all again...

Susan

Posted May 3, 2007 link

That's great info, thanks for sharing.  I may end up needing it if I decide there's some residual scale in the steam valve.
SJM

Posted Sat May 5, 2007, 4:51pm

Okay, I'm back at it.  Here's the bottom of the boiler when I first opened it up

SJM: Baby boiler bottom.JPG
(Click for larger image)
SJM

Posted Sat May 5, 2007, 4:55pm

Now it's starting to look better, and I have a couple of questions -- as usual:

1.  What does the copper (?) tube do?  Does the hot water go down through that and to the brew head?.  I see that there is a very small hole in the brew head;  is that the connection?  

2.  How will I clean the inside of that tube?   Will there be a whirring pipe cleaner attachment when my Dremel comes?  

Susan

SJM: Baby boiler bottom but what is the tube for.JPG
(Click for larger image)
john_
john_

Posted Sun May 6, 2007, 5:02pm

SJM Said:

Now it's starting to look better, and I have a couple of questions -- as usual:

What does the copper (?) tube do?  Does the hot water go down through that and to the brew head?.  I see that there is a very small hole in the brew head;  is that the connection?  

How will I clean the inside of that tube?   Will there be a whirring pipe cleaner attachment when my Dremel comes?  

Susan

Posted May 5, 2007 link

Yes, the tube is the path for the water to get to the brew head.  On the way it makes a detour to the 3-way valve (a cube with a black pipe heading to the drip tray), which is the switch that turns the water on and off.   When on, the water comes out of the hole you mention in the brew head.

I have only cleaned 2 boilers and so you might ask others (like Tex) with more experience, but I would suggest a warm bath in citric acid or other descaling solution.  Especially for hard to reach places like inside the tube.  For me this has worked like magic.  

Good luck!
SJM

Posted Sun May 6, 2007, 5:12pm

Thanks, and by the way, using Edward's directions I managed to get the steam valve off the top of the boiler this afternoon.

S
john_
john_

Posted Tue May 8, 2007, 9:07am

Looks like someone else has joined the Orange Baby club:

Click Here (cgi.ebay.com)

Maybe the buyer is following this thread?

I read on alt.coffee that the screw on top (holding on the switches) indicates that this machine dates from 1978-1979.  Looks like a nice one.

john_: 81ff_3.jpg
(Click for larger image)
SJM

Posted Tue May 8, 2007, 10:20am

Oh, I hope he loves his as much as I love mine.

I got mine for $245 plus $24 shipping, also on eBay, a few months ago.  And I'm very happy.  (Of course if I can't get it all back together again when the parts come and I get back to work, I may regret that statement, but I doubt it.)

By the way, mine doesn't have that screw holding the switches in;  mine just has clips.  Edward at PartsGuru mentioned that he has both the "old" and the "new" switches, but I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention because I don't need switches, but now I understand better what he probably was referring to.

Susan
YeeZa

Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Expobar Minore II
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: V60 Cone
Roaster: 5kg & 60kg Renegade
Posted Sun May 13, 2007, 4:27pm

Hi,

Got onto this thread via Susan SJM, from a site here in Australia - COFFEESNOBS.COM.AU. So as part of the "ORANGE BABY GAGGIA CLUB" I thought I'd join this conversation.

So in this machine JB130 said that the OPV was adjustable. I've just taken mine apart to see if was adjustable like the newer "GAGGIA CLASSIC", where you take off the top of the OPV (where the hose comes out) and you can use a 5mm hex key to adjust the pressure. Well I've opened mine up and it's a different system. I cannot work out how to adjust it. It looks more like a tap washer system. Maybe I'll have to go in from the bottom. Hmm.
If you have any ideas to help me out, please let me know. I would love to make some fine adjustments to make my espresso's even deadlier.

I'll try and attach a photo soon.

Dan
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
showing page 2 of 9 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Taking apart my...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.483844995499)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+