Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Can the pump pressure on the Isomac Venus be adjusted?
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Can the pump...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
Columbo
Columbo
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Rocky SS Doserless
Vac Pot: Silex Anyheet
Drip: DeLonghi 24/7
Roaster: Maybe Some Day...
Posted Fri Dec 26, 2003, 7:57pm
Subject: Can the pump pressure on the Isomac Venus be adjusted?

I have an Isomac Venus and I am very happy with it. I have noticed that the pressure gauge reads 13 to 14 bar when pouring a shot, though. Others have stated that anything above 9 bar is bad for the shot. While I have been perfectly happy with my results with the machine set up as is, I would like to know if I can set it to the proper range. Can anyone help me out here? Thanks.

Cordially,

Dave
 View Profile Link to this post
jim_schulman
jim_schulman
Expertise: I live coffee
Posted Fri Dec 26, 2003, 9:29pm
Subject: Re: Can the pump pressure on the Isomac Venus be adjusted?

I think so, it has a relief valve shown in the diagram (it's on the same Tee as the steam arm) that should be adjustable. Check with you vendors service department for instructions.

jim_schulman: vennre_diag.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Jim Schulman
www.coffeecuppers.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Columbo
Columbo

Posted Fri Dec 26, 2003, 9:51pm

Thanks, Jim. I'll check that out.

Cordially,

Dave
Columbo
Columbo

Posted Thu Jan 22, 2004, 9:50am

Jim,

I just want to let you, and any future readers, know that the Venus is, indeed, adjustable for pressure relief, as you advised. It was a very easy adjustment and makes a difference in the taste of the espresso. A few turns of a wrench on a nut during a pour, while a friend watched the built in pressure gauge, and it was done. My machine's pressure is now set at 9.5 bar during a pour. There is less bitterness and far less sour flavor. Overall, the result is a smoother and more pleasing shot with more bean flavor. I can taste more of the roast, if that makes any sense. I doubted that I could tell any difference, but I can. Thanks for your input and encouragement.

Cordially,

Dave
rocket15

Espresso: Bezzera BZ02S
Grinder: rocky
Vac Pot: Infuze/Cory/Silex/GE
Drip: chemex/melitta pourover
Roaster: stir crazy/convection oven
Posted Thu Jan 22, 2004, 10:16am

Hi Dave, on Jim S's blowup parts list, what is the part number you applied to the wrench and turns to?
Columbo
Columbo

Posted Thu Jan 22, 2004, 12:00pm

I can't enlarge the diagram for some reason, but I'll try to explain. Right on top of the unit are the two soft plastic tubes that are inserted into the water reservoir. The nut is connected inline to the metal receptacle that the soft plastic exhaust tube, the one without the water softener module, is connected.  It looks like it might be used to hold the tube onto the metal receptacle, but it isn't. It is the only nut that you will see, so it's easy to find. A counterclockwise turn reduces the pressure, if I remember correctly. I hope that this helps.

Cordially,

Dave
cafewest_tech

Expertise: Professional

Posted Sat Jan 24, 2004, 8:26am

Yes, but not the machine.  You need to change your grind setting on your coffee or use  less tamp pressure.  Don't change the pressure settings on the machine.  If you have high brew pressures then your ground  coffee is to fine in the portafilter, or you are using to much tamp pressure.  Change one of those and see if your pressure goes down.
stinkyjones
stinkyjones

Espresso: Wega Atlas EVD 1GR (Black)
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly (Orange)
Roaster: New!: GG/SC
Posted Sat Jan 24, 2004, 9:33am

I just did this--took <5 min.  I was getting good espresso before, but my shots ran a little fast unless i packed it really tight, and I was getting "pits" in my puck from the pressure.   It takes a couple of full turns to get it from 14+ down to 9.5.  The nut takes a 10mm wrench, and on my machine was directly under the clip that connects the green wire to the boiler.

Regards,
Scott

The pillars of inspiration are all falling down.
gallerydriver
gallerydriver

Grinder: Solis Maestro Plus
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Fresh Roast
Posted Wed Jun 2, 2004, 6:08pm

I just got my Isomac Venus back from a repair.  Before the repair, I was pulling great shots at 11 bar (about 25-27 seconds a pull).  Since the repair, my shots are coming out at a blazing 10 seconds. I tried adjusting the grind but I'm nowhere near the 25 second shots I was getting before. No amount of tamping seems to slow the shot.

There are lots of threads discussing the proper pressure. For example:
Pressure setting on Isomacs. Anyone at 11 bar?

Short of following the suggestions for adjusting the pressure in the thread above, is there anything else I should be considering?
gallerydriver
gallerydriver

Grinder: Solis Maestro Plus
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Fresh Roast
Posted Thu Jun 3, 2004, 7:01am

Ah-ha!  I tried a couple more shots this morning, and noticed the pressure was at 14 bars during a pull!!!  I adjusted the pressure back down to 11 bars, and the machine is once again producing great shots.

It seems odd that I would get the machice back from a repair with the pressure set so high.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Can the pump...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.397603034973)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+