Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
New Machine Advice: Gaggia, Rancilio or Solis
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > New Machine...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
clowone

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Feb 5, 2007, 7:32am
Subject: New Machine Advice: Gaggia, Rancilio or Solis

Hi,

I am buying a new espresso machine but are experiencing some doubts to which one to buy; below my preliminary choices and pros and cons of each choice:

Gaggia Classic
Price: 250 Eur
Pro's: Cheap, Looks good
Con's: Aluminium Boiler(?), start up time (6 min)

Rancilio Silvia
Price: 450
Pro's: Bigger water container, Copper Boiler
Con's: Twice as expensive as the Gaggia, start up time (7/8 min)

Solis Type 110
Price: 350
Pro's: Modern Look, Copper Boiler
Con's: Its not the 70

What I'm looking for is a good espresso, looks aren't that important price is though (im a student) max for me is 500Eur.

You can find the range I have to choose from, should you have any other recommendations, here:
http://www.koffiewarenhuis.nl/category.php?id=9
Click Here (www.kieskeurig.nl)

Thanks for any replys!
 View Profile Link to this post
DigMe

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser,...
Grinder: Super Jolly, Mazzer Mini,...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Capresso ST600, Presto...
Roaster: Behmor, SC/CO, Poppery I,...
Posted Mon Feb 5, 2007, 7:47am
Subject: Re: New Machine Advice: Gaggia, Rancilio or Solis

If good straight espresso is what you seek I think the Silvia would be the top choice.

bc

ch-ch-ch-ch-ch
Fred1

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: LaSpaziale S1 Mini Vivaldi...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini/NS MCF
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Hottop, FR+8
Posted Mon Feb 5, 2007, 8:26am

Welcome.

You didn't mention what grinder you have in your post.  Without a suitable grinder, none of the machines will work for you.  My own personal choice would be the best grinder I could find and a Gaggia Espresso.  Plastic case instead of metal and no 3 way solenoid valve, but, less than half the cost of the Gaggia Classic.  I am not familiar with European prices, but, you should be able to get the Gaggia Espresso and perhaps a Mazzer Mini or Macap M4 stepless for close to your maximum price.  Stay away from the Gran Gaggia or Gaggia Cubika.  They are inferior machines that don't enjoy the same reputation as the higher priced Gaggia machines.  

While the Silvia is a good machine, it is worthless without a good grinder.

Good luck,

Fred
DigMe

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser,...
Grinder: Super Jolly, Mazzer Mini,...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Capresso ST600, Presto...
Roaster: Behmor, SC/CO, Poppery I,...
Posted Mon Feb 5, 2007, 8:57am

Fred1 Said:

Welcome.

You didn't mention what grinder you have in your post.  Without a suitable grinder, none of the machines will work for you.  My own personal choice would be the best grinder I could find and a Gaggia Espresso.  Plastic case instead of metal and no 3 way solenoid valve, but, less than half the cost of the Gaggia Classic.  I am not familiar with European prices, but, you should be able to get the Gaggia Espresso and perhaps a Mazzer Mini or Macap M4 stepless for close to your maximum price.  Stay away from the Gran Gaggia or Gaggia Cubika.  They are inferior machines that don't enjoy the same reputation as the higher priced Gaggia machines.  

While the Silvia is a good machine, it is worthless without a good grinder.

Good luck,

Fred

Posted February 5, 2007 link

Yes, I agree with this and was just focusing on the question.  Don't bother buying any of them if you don't have a GOOD grinder.  Buy the Silvia if you can afford that PLUS a good grinder but if not then get a Gaggia plus a good grinder (the $200 Cunill Tranquilo as a  minimum).

bc

ch-ch-ch-ch-ch
TimEggers
TimEggers

Espresso: QM Anita, Cappuccino Amore
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Mazzer SJ
Vac Pot: Antique McKee, Santos
Drip: Pour Over, Bodum Presses
Roaster: RK Drum
Posted Mon Feb 5, 2007, 10:30am

I really like the features of the Gaggia machines but better than that are the prices.  Look the Gaggia Espresso can make outstanding espresso (very comparable to the Silvia from what I have read) at a much lower cost (you are on a budget afterall aren't you)?  Remember it's about the espresso!

So take the money you save by buying a Gaggia and put that into a grinder, that's way more important anyway.

Good Luck!

Tim Eggers
http://www.facebook.com/TimEggers
http://twitter.com/Tim_Eggers
http://www.youtube.com/user/TimEggers
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
clowone

Posted Mon Feb 5, 2007, 4:49pm

Thanks for the great advice!

So budgetwise I'm going to do the following;

Find a good grinder, then use the rest of the money to buy the espresso machine.

When I follow this reasoning, the silvia falls out of the equation. This leaves two (in my view) combinations:

Gaggia Classic with Gaggia MDF ( Click Here (www.koffiewarenhuis.nl) ) 250 + 188 = 438

or

Solis 110 with Solis Maestro Plus ( Click Here (www.koffiewarenhuis.nl) ) 348 + 138 = 486

I'm doubting because of the good review on this site of the Solis 70, was that a better product than the 110 (which seems to be newer)??

And because the warm up time of the Gaggia and I've read some complaints about the boiler being aluminum?
onthego
onthego

Espresso: Salvatore One Black, Silvia...
Grinder: Macap M4 Stepless, Rocky DL,...
Drip: Krups
Posted Mon Feb 5, 2007, 7:24pm

clowone Said:

Gaggia Classic with Gaggia MDF ( Click Here (www.koffiewarenhuis.nl) ) 250 + 188 = 438

Solis 110 with Solis Maestro Plus ( Click Here (www.koffiewarenhuis.nl) ) 348 + 138 = 486

I'm doubting because of the good review on this site of the Solis 70, was that a better product than the 110 (which seems to be newer)??

Posted February 5, 2007 link

In the US the Solis 110 is called the Breville 800.  Here is a link to reviews. "Breville Espresso 800ESXL"
you are correct it is a new design.  It looks like it is getting pretty good reviews.  

And because the warm up time of the Gaggia and I've read some complaints about the boiler being aluminum?

The aluminum boiler is OK.  Do not let that stop you.  The Gaggia is a proven design that has stood the test of time.
The MDF is a better espresso grinder than the Maestro.  

Go with the Gaggia package.  The Classic has 58mm portafilter & a 3-way solenoid valve.  The MDF uses professional quality burrs very similar to the Rancilio Rocky.  Plus you will save 50 euros.

Ed
bigjoedo

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic, Carezza &...
Grinder: Rocky, Maestro Plus,...
Drip: Black & Decker
Roaster: Hottop Digital & 2- FR8 +
Posted Tue Feb 6, 2007, 1:55pm

Clowone,

I agree with the other posts. The Gaggia machines are well built and make great espresso or cappuccino. They are cheaper (cost wise) than the Silvia. I have a Gaggia Classic, Carezza + coffee and they all work well.

I have a Solis Maestro plus grinder that works well. Best of luck

Joe
Everman
Everman

Espresso: Valentina Levetta, Elektra...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Tue Feb 6, 2007, 8:06pm

The start up, or warm up time for all of these machines is more like 30mins minimum. Generally the more metal the longer.

A grinder has already been mentioned, also make sure you use good beans. Something roasted less than a week ago is best.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > New Machine...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
LavAzza Espresso Machines
Awesome capsule espresso machines. Perfect for home, office and restaurant applications.
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.424198865891)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+