Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
My Isomac Tea is leaking
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > My Isomac Tea is...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
BicaGuy

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Andreja Premium, La Pavoni...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky, Braun
Drip: Braun
Posted Mon Nov 6, 2006, 12:56pm
Subject: My Isomac Tea is leaking

My new Isomac Tea is leaking water.  I received it only last week and this morning I discovered water dripping from underneath the machine.  I have checked that it isn't the water container and not the water tray.  I suspect the water comes from the boiler, however the temperature is not hot, so probably it is from a pipe/hose connecting from the water container (tank).  Anyone has any great ideas what it could be without looking under the hood?

Should I attempt to solve it myself or have my (italian) supplier help?
 View Profile Link to this post
jim_schulman
jim_schulman
Expertise: I live coffee
Posted Mon Nov 6, 2006, 2:43pm
Subject: Re: My Isomac Tea is leaking

It's probably that the hose has slipped of the overpressure valve -- a common problem. The overpressure valve is connected to the second hose going into the tank, it opens to keep the pressure of the shot from exceeding 10 or 11 bar (or wherever it has been set, the factory sets at 10 to 11). When the hose slips off,  the water relief drips onto the counter rather than going back to the tank.

Take of the case, and search along the pump line. There are two pressure relief valves (one's a safety) and wach has a silicone hose attached to a nipple on the valve. These hoses along with the one bacjk to the tank attach to a tee. Somewhere along the line, one of the hoses has slipped off, just put it back on.

One way to prevent this in future is to use tie wraps to secure the hoses.

Jim Schulman
www.coffeecuppers.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
hamm
hamm

Espresso: Alex Duetto (1st gen)
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: I'm not that kind of guy...
Drip: From the faucet occasionally
Roaster: I buy from several
Posted Mon Nov 6, 2006, 4:38pm

I had leaks in mine (still dealing with other problems too) and one was in the gasket where the heating element enters the boiler. I don't think that should go out on a newer machine though.

(edit:) I never found my leak until the machine was off and cool.  I reread your post and I missed the part where you said the water was cool.  But you still might want to check that anyway.

Hamm
BicaGuy

Posted Tue Nov 7, 2006, 1:32am

Thanks Jim and Hamm,

the problem only occurs wheh the machine is on and the boiler is on.  Once I have turned the machine off, the leakage stops.  Will follow your tips and have a look inside.
iZappa
iZappa

Espresso: Isomac Millenium
Grinder: Anfim Haus, Ascaso i-2,...
Drip: French press will do
Roaster: Gene Cafe
Posted Tue Nov 7, 2006, 3:22am

When you are looking for leakage, be shure to check for water stains under the exit tube of the pump. Thats where the pump connects to the water tube that takes the water into the boiler. My guess is that this is a minor and easy problem to fix. Unscrew the cover and turn it on and see if you can see any water leakage. Try butting preasure on the pump also. Some teflon tape or some tightening propably would do it.

Let's make the water turn black
BicaGuy

Posted Tue Nov 7, 2006, 6:54am

Takk for hjelpen, iZappa!
BicaGuy

Posted Thu Nov 9, 2006, 2:08am

Just want to tie up this one.  After having opened up the hood and turned on the machine I found that the leakage is caused by oxidation on the boiler itself.  Once the boiler starts heating up, water starts trickling out of a small hole on the edge of the boiler.  The hole, or crack to be more precise, seems to be caused by oxidation (or corrusion).  

Anyone has seen this happen before?  

I am very surprised.  If it was a hose that went loose or a clip that wasn't tightened enough I would understand it - things happen during assembly and transportation.  But when a vital metallic part has a defect so serious like this, from day 5 of use, I am seriously questioning Isomac's craftsmanship.  I hope I am slightly overreacting but never the less this is a let down.
jim_schulman
jim_schulman
Posted Thu Nov 9, 2006, 8:01am

BicaGuy Said:

Just want to tie up this one.  After having opened up the hood and turned on the machine I found that the leakage is caused by oxidation on the boiler itself.  Once the boiler starts heating up, water starts trickling out of a small hole on the edge of the boiler.  The hole, or crack to be more precise, seems to be caused by oxidation (or corrusion).  

I am very surprised.  If it was a hose that went loose or a clip that wasn't tightened enough I would understand it - things happen during assembly and transportation.  But when a vital metallic part has a defect so serious like this, from day 5 of use, I am seriously questioning Isomac's craftsmanship.  I hope I am slightly overreacting but never the less this is a let down.

Posted November 9, 2006 link

That's a serious defect. The boiler isn;t made by Isomac (it's also found on other companies' E61 machines), but they should take a look at them before they install them. The hole is probably not corrosion, since the boiler is nickel plated brass (on my machine it's the only part that looks like new after 5 years). It may have gotten damaged at some point.

In any case, unless you're good at plumbing and very patient, you'll need to return the machine, since fitting a replacement boiler will involve a lot of work.

Jim Schulman
www.coffeecuppers.com
BicaGuy

Posted Thu Nov 9, 2006, 11:04am

Will do - thanks Jim!
1stline
1stline
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Undisclosed
Grinder: Indisclosed
Vac Pot: Bodum Electric
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Mon Nov 13, 2006, 5:48pm

BicaGuy Said:

Posted November 9, 2006 link

Pal,

I emailed Isomac about your situation as we were concerned that the problem may occur in the TEA II units were coming into the USA. Isomac stated that there was a batch of 100 boilers for the TEA in Europe (produced in June-July timeframe) that had a boiler defect. They recommended you take it back to the retailer to get the issue resolved.

Jim S is correct that another company manufacturers the boilers. As far as testing with water, sometimes water tests are not performed because it is sometimes difficult to remove all the water inside the lines, and in freezing weather, the water could freeze and thus damage the machine.

Sincerely,
Jim Piccinich
Business Partner
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/1stline
Twitter: http://twitter.com/1stline
Blog: http://1st-line.blogspot.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/1stlineespresso
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > My Isomac Tea is...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.405884027481)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+