Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Adventures with a Brasilia Century -- From start to finish...
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Adventures with...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
koffeekev
koffeekev
Expertise: Professional

Posted Mon Jul 24, 2006, 3:24pm
Subject: Re: Adventures with a Brasilia Century -- any ideas or advice?

Hi Aeroplane. It is entirely possible that I have a rebuilt group head for your machine. If you are interested let me know and i'll dig it out and ship it to you. If I remember correctly it is brass plated.
Just email me  km@omarcoffee.com

Kevin

P.S. I reserve the right to have a faulty memory. I know I had one and I think it was rebuilt. If it's around it's yours.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
aeroplane
aeroplane
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale S1 v2
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Bodum French press
Roaster: FreshRoast w/modified switch
Posted Mon Jul 24, 2006, 10:11pm
Subject: Re: Weekend project -- Gutting my Brasilia Century -- PICS!

rileys Said:

you need to call them up and make sure that is correct.  the century i rebuilt required 6 gaskets for the boiler: an o-ring for each endplate (mounts in groove in part that fits into boiler), 2 o-rings for the heat exchanger, and a teflon flat gasket for each endplate (mounts between endplate and edge of boiler). My initial parts order from RB did not include the teflon gaskets, and the boiler leaked.  when RB was contacted again, there was an "oh yeah, you need these, too" moment.

Posted July 24, 2006 link

Interesting! My parts catalog (exploded diagram) shows 2 different boiler configurations, one that uses just the o-rings and one that uses the just the teflon gaskets. Not knowing which version I have, I ordered both the gaskets and o-rings! So I do have them. My boiler, upon disassembly, had only the o-rings in it...

I have heard about the HX nuts stripping the thread clean off the HX- I promise to be careful!!!

--jim
 View Profile Link to this post
aeroplane
aeroplane

Posted Wed Jul 26, 2006, 9:39am

Well, at this time the boiler is back together, with only the o-rings, FWIW, and it holds pressure and seems to work great!

Everything is operative on the machine, and seems to be in good working order, except the pump, which sprang a decent leak. However, I have a new one on order - $42 from ChrisCoffee, and it has a better housing than the original (Brass vs. plastic) and should be a fine replcement.

I re-sealed the steam wand valve, and it closes like a bank vault.

So, at this point, I am merely awaiting the new pump, and with that replaced, the re-build should be complete.

Then on to tuning... I have a digital meter with thermocouple as well as a naked portafilter on it's way. I just need to borrow a friend's portafilter pressure gauge, and with that I can set the machine to it's ideal, and then decide how I want to modify it... (more on that later)

Here is a picture -- the case is going to remain off untill I get the pump, but you can see the new color on the faceplate. It looks great in person.

-- benway999-- does your pressure gauge show zero when it's cold? look at mine - it reads about .3 cold

aeroplane: BC14.jpg
(Click for larger image)
aeroplane
aeroplane

Posted Sat Jul 29, 2006, 10:32am

For the time being I have the machine running (with the old, somewhat leaky pump...) and there are a few things vexing me;

If it sits for a little while, say 10-15 min, the boiler somehow gets overfull and the steam is REALLY wet. Tapping off 6oz or so of water from the caldera (sp?) fixes this, as does purging the wand for a LONG time. This has never been a problem before and is strange. There is no sight gauge on the boiler and the auto-fill/shutoff does seems to work.

If I backflush, nothing comes out the 3-way's relief port. Jammed? Set too high? Unfortunately, I have no way of measuring the output pressure.
aeroplane
aeroplane

Posted Thu Aug 3, 2006, 1:00pm

The 3-way was leaking - For more neat pictures and info go to this thread --

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/247571

--jim
aeroplane
aeroplane

Posted Fri Aug 4, 2006, 11:55am

Replacing the old pump -- the new has brass instead of the leaking plastic. Note age of old pump -- 12yr.

aeroplane: BC17.jpg
(Click for larger image)
aeroplane
aeroplane

Posted Fri Aug 4, 2006, 12:01pm

It's done and back together! It seems operational and leak-free. I won't get a chance to really try it out and see if it's back to normal untill tommrow -- but I am looking forward to it!

aeroplane: BC20.jpg
(Click for larger image)
aeroplane
aeroplane

Posted Fri Aug 4, 2006, 12:02pm

aeroplane: BC21.jpg
(Click for larger image)
rylle
rylle
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: LaCimbali Bistro, Brasilia...
Grinder: LaCimbali Junior, Brasilia...
Posted Sun Aug 27, 2006, 4:34pm

Hi I must start with a big thanx Aeroplane! good info, nice pics!! and niiiice red color!!!

I just, yesterday, bought a similar* machine, and that one of my problems at the moment...

Does any one know, its a Centrury, I think, its a European version, 220V, manufacturing year? the owner said aroundish 2002... I doubt it... It has a Serial# 5760 do you know how to dechifer this?

It looks the same, except the pressuregauge, though it also shows .3 at nill pressure...

At the moment its clogged, everthing else then the brewerhead seems to work. Id like to know what it is before I start taking it apart. I have not found a similar brewhead on any drawing. They have 2 bolts mine have 4 to the boiler...

Does any one know...some thing about this machine?

Best regards Robert

rylle: cg_aeropl.jpg
(Click for larger image)
benway999

Posted Sun Aug 27, 2006, 8:26pm

I think it is a Cappuccino Del

the steam wand looks unusual

2002 is possible-- that is the later style pressure gauge-- is the front panel all one piece?

have you tried removing the shower screen and seeing if water flows?  its a single screw in the center

theres some info here

http://www.coffeestuff.com/groups1.html

Click Here (www.rosito-bisani.com)

hope that helps
showing page 3 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Adventures with...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.514793872833)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+