Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Gaggia Grinder problem
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia Grinder...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
dem12663

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Old Coffee Gaggia died......
Grinder: Rocky Rancilio
Vac Pot: Yama 5Cup
Drip: Technivorm KBT 471
Roaster: FreshRoast 8
Posted Wed Jun 21, 2006, 6:35am
Subject: Gaggia Grinder problem

Sorry I've searched and haven't found the answer... Excuse the newbieness to this forum...

I have a Coffee Gaggia and Gaggia grinder that was given to me about 3 years ago that I've dabbled with and upon MUCH experimenting have pulled some pretty decent shots. I always used fresh roasted (within 2 weeks) and do careful measuring. Blind shots to warm portofilter etc.

However, about a few months ago.. I just can't seem to get the grind fine enough on finest setting (even with lot and lots of tamping pressure) to not pull a  shot too fast.  It starts to drip faster than previously and goes blond sometimes within 5-10 seconds.  Sometimes with extreme pressure I can get a subpar pour in 18-20 secs.

This setting used to completely clog the machine.  Now pours too fast.  I suspect the grinder, not the machine but what do I know?!?!?!?

I think this is related to when I tried to clean the grinder with white rice... I think that was a bad idea.
I may have worn down or damaged the grinder.

I'm in Cleveland and don't trust the average coffee fixer here as Cleveland is not by any stretch an informed coffee town. Any recomendations on a repair person or place that will REALLY Do It right to repair this grinder and/or machine.???  

Thanks in advance!
 View Profile Link to this post
shadow745

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: CapressoBAR 351
Grinder: Capresso Infinity Conical...
Vac Pot: Not Strong Enough!!!
Drip: Not Strong Enough!!!
Roaster: Not CoffeeGeeky Enough,...
Posted Wed Jun 21, 2006, 6:55am
Subject: Re: Gaggia Grinder problem

What Gaggia grinder is it? Model #? I don't want to make you sound like a newbie, but have you given it a thorough cleaning lately? That can make all the difference in the world. Could be the burrs need to be replaced, if that model allows. Later!
dem12663

Posted Wed Jun 21, 2006, 7:45am

Shadow, Thanks and don't worry about referring to me as a newbie.. with espresso, the more I know the less I know...

the bottom the grinder  says MDF under "modello".

How often to you clean a grinder.  I use it on average 4-5 times a week and cleaned it about 2 months ago with Rice.. I think that's when the problem started.  I should have known better and ordered a "proper" cleaner.

If this model can be repaired do you have any suggestions as to where to send it?
Jeff_K
Jeff_K

Espresso: LaCimbali Junior D/1,...
Grinder: LaCimbali Junior, Rio...
Drip: Presto Scandinavian, Bodum...
Roaster: Hottop KN8828, Kitchen...
Posted Wed Jun 21, 2006, 8:36am

Sounds like the burrs are worn out or the settings are slipping from the set screws loosening.  There are two screws that hold the upper burr assembly to the plastic ring that has the numbered settings on it, and if those loosen it's possible for the settings to change I guess.  That's less likely than worn out burrs, but you could probably fix either one on your own if you're handy with tools and this kind of this.  New burrs for the MDF are under $30 .
dem12663

Posted Wed Jun 21, 2006, 10:57am

you could probably fix either one on your own if you're handy with tools and this kind of this.  New burrs for the MDF are under $30

Do you have an idea where I can get a detailed manual for replacing the burrs... Where do I find replacement burrs?

I've tried to take it apart before and didn't ever figure out how to actually get into the burrs.. I'm usually not so inept, but this design baffles me..
mcKoffee
mcKoffee
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: VBM DD, Bricoletta, Audrey,...
Grinder: Major,SJ, Rocky,...
Vac Pot: Gold Royal Balance
Drip: When it rains...Aero,...
Roaster: USRC3k,CCR HT, Behmor, Cafe...
Posted Wed Jun 21, 2006, 11:28am

Did you use Minute Rice? (or similar brand par-cooked rice) Minute Rice is softer than a roasted coffee bean, test for yourself! I've been using it for years for regular between full break down cleanings. (More or less regualr, every week or so)   Have compared it to Grindz. Minute Rice cleans equally as well as Grindz IMO and with less dust.

That said you've been using the grinder for 3 years, highly likely it's time for burr replacement. The first time I replaced Rocky's burrs was at about 1&1/2 years, probably 100# or so ground everything from Press to ristretto fine. I noticed a definite improvement in the cup. Did the next burr replacement 14 months later. But dull burrs possibly not the culprit since decline in grind quality is gradual and therefore usually not really noticed until comparing to grind with sharp burrs. Then again they may have finally dulled to the point that your symptoms of not being able to grind fine enough manifested. But with dull burrs the problem isn't just coarseness of grind, the grind becomes more uneven because the beans become more crushed rather than shaved.

miKe mcKoffee aka Mike McGinness
www.CompassCoffeeRoasting.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Jeff_K
Jeff_K

Espresso: LaCimbali Junior D/1,...
Grinder: LaCimbali Junior, Rio...
Drip: Presto Scandinavian, Bodum...
Roaster: Hottop KN8828, Kitchen...
Posted Wed Jun 21, 2006, 11:42am

Whole Latte Love is one place I've seen that sells the MDF burrs and they also mention a toll-free number if you need assistance in replacing them.  As far as a manual I'm not sure if one exists or even if the set comes with instructions.  Maybe just a cleaning or adjustment would help and save you from buying new burrs, but when you get to the lowest setting and that's not fine enough that would be one thing to check out.
dem12663

Posted Wed Jun 21, 2006, 8:31pm

Thanks all for your input... I think I'll try the Minute rice next.. and then try figuring out purchasing and replacing the $30 burrs next..
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia Grinder...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.386281967163)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+