Espresso: Espresso Machines
Best machine, foam not needed.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Best machine,...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
JimB

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Capresso 114, Krups 964
Grinder: Capresso 560
Roaster: iRoast 2
Posted Mon Jun 19, 2006, 12:41pm
Subject: Best machine, foam not needed.

I am looking for a good, but not high end priced, espresso machine to replace my Capresso. I do not need foaming capability and may not need the expensive HX or double boilers that improve this feature. I drink only straight shots, my wife likes no foam lattes with the milk warmed in the microwave and all the foam comming from the crema floating to the top (forget criticism, she doesn't like the way the steam dilutes the milk; as always the perfect coffee is an individual thing). Therefore, I need a machine that only has to have the capability to make two excellent double shots, one after the other. What machines should I be looking at $200-1000?
 View Profile Link to this post
ppopp
ppopp
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Andreja Premium
Grinder: Macap M4 Doser/Stepless
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Posted Mon Jun 19, 2006, 1:27pm
Subject: Re: Best machine, foam not needed.

Fiorenzata Colombina?

Dual-purpose boiler (non-HX) e-61 machine.  No water dance required, but with the temperature stability of an e-61 group head.  They have them on the 1st-line website.

Peter

------------------------------------------------------
Know beans, know coffee.  No beans, no coffee.
nmayweather

Espresso: expobar office, isomac venus
Grinder: mini mazzer
Vac Pot: bodum santos
Drip: mr coffee sp3
Roaster: toastmaster popper
Posted Mon Jun 19, 2006, 1:52pm

2 double shots one after the other means you can't use a thermoblock system, so you're looking at boilers which means you're in the  400-1000 range.  (they need quite some time to recoil)

i've used a silvia and i own a venus - venus has a slightly larger boiler than the silvia, and i found it inadequate to do 2 good shots in a row without waiting 20s to 1minute for the second shot to warm up.   basically, i don't know of any dual use boiler machines that can handle that.

personally, i think you'd need one of the dual boiler machines or one of the hx machines - not because of the foaming power, but because they tend to have far larger boilers ( 1.3+ for the water alone) vs the smaller machines ( which tend to be 1/3-1/2 L )

truthfully, you seem particular and know what you want ( "forget criticism, she doesn't like the way the steam dilutes the milk; as always the perfect coffee is an individual thing" ) -- go for the better 2 boiler or hx machines and rock out on awesome straight espresso that you're using.  think of the advanced foaming capabilites that you're paying for as a bonus - kind of like a passenger seat airbag.
rgs1218

Espresso: Rocket Cellini Evoluzione
Grinder: Mahlkonig ProM
Drip: Bodum press, Chemex, Hario
Roaster: Not yet...
Posted Mon Jun 19, 2006, 5:30pm

Maybe other Gaggia owners can chime in here but wouldn't any Gaggia machine be sufficient for consecutive shots with no steaming required?  Small boiler becomes much less of an issue w/o steaming requirements..in fact it should regain temp very fast.

I think an HX is tremendous overkill for 2 straight shots..why water dance if you can keep a boiler 'around' ideal brew temp using a single boiler?  And why pay for double boiler if you aren't steaming?  You would essentially be turning it into a single boiler, only for the sake of having a larger boiler size (and for an extra $1400).

From what I've read, biggest knock against any single boiler is the lack of flexibility in going from brew to steam and back.  This is not an issue in this situation.  The brief time it takes for the boiler to recover from the first shot will be well spent grinding/dosing/distributing/tamping the next.  Unless you plan on entertaining somewhat regularly, save yourself some money (say, for a superior grinder) and get a Gaggia ($200 unless you need a 3 way solenoid or can't stand the looks of a Carezza or Espresso).

Just my $.02.

Russ
gpm

Posted Mon Jun 19, 2006, 6:28pm

Maybe other Gaggia owners can chime in here but wouldn't any Gaggia machine be sufficient for consecutive shots with no steaming required

On my Carezza, I can pull two consecutive shots rather quickly. You can heat for 15-20 minutes, grind for the first shot, pull the shot, grind for the second shot, and by the time you've cleaned the PF and dosed/tamp the machine is ready for shot #2. You don't get very precise temperature control/consistency (but I don't think anybody could expect that from a $199 machine), but after some tinkering & tuning the coffee you can get from that machine is nonetheless outstanding.

The only problem I can see with two quick consecutive shots is the lack of a 3-way valve. In my (very limited) experience, I found that when I tamp light/dose high enough to touch the shower screen (either after or even before brewing -- all things equal, this doesn't seem to much affect the quality of my shots), I can remove the PF relatively quickly. By the time I finish grinding for shot #2, the pressure generally has subsided enough to unlock the PF and get it ready for the next shot. With a lower dose, I need to wait a few minutes before I can safely unlock the PF. If that sounds like a problem, the slighly higher-end Gaggias feature the 3-way valve, look better (at least in my opinion), and you could still afford a high-end grinder and stay within your (upper) price range.
doleeo

Espresso: ANITA!!!
Grinder: Macap MXKR Conical.
Vac Pot: Not yet
Drip: Presto Scandanavian
Roaster: Behmor 1600, Poppery 1
Posted Mon Jun 19, 2006, 9:04pm

ppopp Said:

Fiorenzata Colombina?

Dual-purpose boiler (non-HX) e-61 machine.  No water dance required, but with the temperature stability of an e-61 group head.  They have them on the 1st-line website.

Posted June 19, 2006 link

I agree with ppopp, unless you want to go with a PID'd silvia. But if it was me i'd go with the E-61 dual purpose boiler.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
mcKoffee
mcKoffee

Espresso: VBM DD, Bricoletta, Audrey,...
Grinder: Major,SJ, Rocky,...
Vac Pot: Gold Royal Balance
Drip: When it rains...Aero,...
Roaster: USRC3k,CCR HT, Behmor, Cafe...
Posted Mon Jun 19, 2006, 11:43pm

FWIW, additionally with an HX you can tune the boiler pressure so pre-shot HX dance isn't required (tuned for a specific approx' shot temp and at the expense of weak enemic steam power which isn't an issue here.) Initial HX cooling flush from machine at rest still required of course. Plus some day you may decide you want to explore traditional machiatos or cappucinos and having an HX would make it much much easier than a single boiler. My wife too used to like microwaved milk but now loves silky smooth microfoam.

miKe mcKoffee aka Mike McGinness
www.CompassCoffeeRoasting.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JR
JR

Espresso: Old Coffee Gaggia (x2.5)
Grinder: Cunill Tranquilo
Drip: Bona Vita (Thermal)
Roaster: GG/UFO
Posted Tue Jun 20, 2006, 6:18am

mcKoffee Said:

...weak enemic steam...

Oooh, that sounds painful...

Jack

www.PainFreeComputing.com
http://www.GaggiaUsersGroup.com
www.IsuzuPup.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
shadow745

Espresso: CapressoBAR 351
Grinder: Capresso Infinity Conical...
Vac Pot: Not Strong Enough!!!
Drip: Not Strong Enough!!!
Roaster: Not CoffeeGeeky Enough,...
Posted Tue Jun 20, 2006, 6:50am

JimB Said:

I am looking for a good, but not high end priced, espresso machine to replace my Capresso. I do not need foaming capability and may not need the expensive HX or double boilers that improve this feature. I drink only straight shots, my wife likes no foam lattes with the milk warmed in the microwave and all the foam comming from the crema floating to the top (forget criticism, she doesn't like the way the steam dilutes the milk; as always the perfect coffee is an individual thing). Therefore, I need a machine that only has to have the capability to make two excellent double shots, one after the other. What machines should I be looking at $200-1000?

Does the Capresso do a decent job? Almost a year ago I found a fantastic deal on eBay, a CapressoBAR 351 that I won for $65. I cleaned it up inside and out and started experimenting with different variables until I stumbled onto what works best in it. I get fairly thick, syrup-like espresso with good crema and every now and then even some light tiger-striping. Supposedly when that is achieved you've done things right. Of course, it doesn't happen that often. I never would've believed how many variables there are in brewing espresso, but it's fun trying to figure it out. I know machines that use heating systems other than boilers get a bad rap, but my machine has a Thermocoil and it works really well. Quick startup time, good temp. stability (able to maintain temps around 195 F consistently cup after cup) and quick recovery. For what I use it for it's excellent. I use the drip side for brewing tea, which is a true southern favorite. I also noticed that you have an Infinity grinder. How is it working for you? I bought the brushed chrome model several months ago and have been really pleased with the performance. It's super easy to clean, perfectly repeatable settings and looks pretty good as well. Most people complain about the lack of settings to fine tune for espresso, but not so for me. While pulsing the switch I hold the bean hopper in between settings (it doesn't have to be on a certain setting to grind properly) and am able to achieve what a grinder with 30-40 settings will achieve. Those slow turning conical burrs really shave the beans well. Anyway, thanks for any info regarding your current setup.

Later!
JimB

Espresso: Capresso 114, Krups 964
Grinder: Capresso 560
Posted Tue Jun 20, 2006, 7:38am

To shadow745:
The Capresso I have will make an excellent shot, but with great difficulty. Making two shots in a row exactly the same takes a great deal of experiance. The main problem is that the strainer on the bottom of the coffee basket cloggs very quickly. You will get good results if you clean the basket every night by putting Oxiclean clean into water that has just been boiling and putting it in over night. If it has a white film on it in the morning put it in diluted vinegar for 5-10 minutes. After cleaning the head, always run hot water through the empty basket before your first shot. Never tamp down on the coffee. Scrape the coffee level with the edge of the tamper that come with the machine. For most bean types you will need to use a course grind for the Capresso. It may be impossible to do two shots of a dark roast without buying an extra basket. In summary with great deal of work the Capresso can product one shot of great coffee. I am hoping to buy a machine that works with finer, tamped grinds and makes two cups in a row of dark roast when I want it to.
The Infinity grinder appears to work well, but I have not had to test it with a good espresso machine. It makes a great course grind that is good for the Capresso. I vacuum it out after every hopper of beans and run minute rice through it to clean out oil buildup.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Best machine,...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.426115036011)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+