Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Question - What brew pressure are you pulling your shots?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Question - What...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
spud72
spud72
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Quickmill Andreja Premium
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Posted Wed May 31, 2006, 9:27pm
Subject: Question - What brew pressure are you pulling your shots?

I tuned my Andreja Premium down from the stock 10.2 to a more reasonable 8.5-ish. I am debating about moving it up a smidgen to the 9-range as that seems to be where a lot of people say they are, but I want to experiment and see if I can consistantly get some good shots at this pressure.. although since it is a new machine and I am on a MASSIVE learning curve, I probably want to change as few of things as possible at any time. Heck, I am still dialing in the Mazzer to where I want it and settling on a coffee to use from my local roaster!

But, this had me thinking - for those of us that have brew pressure guages or have measured it, what are you running at? I'd be curious to see. As I said, I am thinking it's going to largely be the 9+ range, but I'm curious.

Thanks.
 View Profile Link to this post
coffeeDirtDog
coffeeDirtDog
Expertise: Professional
Posted Wed May 31, 2006, 9:58pm
Subject: Re: Question - What brew pressure are you pulling your shots?

I am usually at around 8.5.

It really depends on the espresso you use and the style you pull, so experiment later once you have really had a lot of time with a bean/blend.

www.barismo.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
alsterling
alsterling
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale S1 (Had Expo)
Grinder: Macap M4 & Gaggia MDF
Vac Pot: Not yet...
Drip: Capresso MT-500 & Melitta...
Roaster: Hottop Digital
Posted Wed May 31, 2006, 10:35pm

As was mentioned, it truly depends on your coffee. When Chris Coffee Company sets up the S1 La Spaziale for shipment, they bench test and adjust it for 9 to 10 bar. I was having major issues with my new Macap M4 and S1. I am a heavy user of Malabar Gold from Josuma. I buy 5 lbs. about every other week. After selling the Expobar Pulsar Office, I initially couldn't get the great crema and taste from the new setup. After tweaking everything, I still had issues.

I called Dr. John, the owner of Josuma Coffee. He recommended the following settings for his Malabar; start with very full double basket. (triple is better) Then, set brew pressure at 8 to 8.2 bar, brew temp at 207 F, total extraction time from button push to finish of 30 seconds.

With those guidelines, I checked my S1 and found it was at 9.3 bar, I reset to 8.2 bar. I confirmed the temp. With all of that, and without a choking fine grind, but certainly finer than normal, I'm running about 26 to 28 second shots. The coffee is still getting rave reviews, with loads of crema, so I'm happy.

I'm guessing that an "average" pressure is 9 bar?

Best, Al in SoCal

Member No.12047 - SCAA
http://www.baristaexchange.com/profile/AlSterling
Warning: Close cover before striking
"Space Available Here for Something Really Prolific"
nmayweather

Espresso: expobar office, isomac venus
Grinder: mini mazzer
Vac Pot: bodum santos
Drip: mr coffee sp3
Roaster: toastmaster popper
Posted Wed May 31, 2006, 11:27pm

personally, i have mine set at 9.2 for ristrettos and aim for 9 on regular pulls

i don't have a guage on the machine during brew, but i can hear it when it trips so i have it a bit over 9 (9.2), so i know when its too fine
itinerant

Posted Thu Jun 1, 2006, 1:50am

7.25 - 8 bar, depending on the blend. Measured at the basket with a 65 ml/min flow rate.

Google
Secret Search button

alsterling
alsterling

Posted Thu Jun 1, 2006, 8:03am

That's an interesting pressure recommendation. I'm wondering if brew pressure can be skewed by the particular machine. Your recommendation of 7.25 to 8 bar is, obviously, quite a bit lower than I remember seeing printed anywhere else? What additional input do you have to go with the "below 8 bar" recommendation? Now I'm wondering if there is a commercial standard, or if all the variables of machine, coffee and prep technique make that difficult to nail down?

Member No.12047 - SCAA
k7qz

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Elektra A3 & Andreja Premium
Grinder: Mazzer Kony & Mini E
Vac Pot: Cona, Hario
Drip: What's that?
Roaster: HotTop
Posted Thu Jun 1, 2006, 8:25am

Spud:

One of my machines is an Andreja.

Start with 9 bar.  It's a good all-around setting and you can fine tune after that per your taste buds.  I'd bet you probably won't have to though-

When you're adjusting the nut to set the pressure, make sure the tubing coming off the bottom of the adjustment nut doesn't get twisted as you turn the nut.  I couldn't figure out why my brew pressures were all over the place when I first set mine until I noticed the tubing in a pretzel shape...  If it does twist, just spin the tubing on the collar fitting until it's straight again.

Pull several "shots" with the blind basket until you're satisfied you've acheived a stable reading and go from there-
itinerant

Posted Thu Jun 1, 2006, 8:40am

alsterling Said:

That's an interesting pressure recommendation. I'm wondering if brew pressure can be skewed by the particular machine. Your recommendation of 7.25 to 8 bar is, obviously, quite a bit lower than I remember seeing printed anywhere else? What additional input do you have to go with the "below 8 bar" recommendation? Now I'm wondering if there is a commercial standard, or if all the variables of machine, coffee and prep technique make that difficult to nail down?

Posted June 1, 2006 link

At a given temperature, the ideal pressure range is << than 1 bar. Italian roasters may specify what temperature and pressure you should brew their beans at. Conventional setpoints for commercial equipment in Italy are about 8 - 9 bar. I am aware of N. American cafes that run their machines as high as 9.5 bar. Generally measured with a blind basket. And as high as 10 - 11 bar for home or prosumer equipment. I can only assume that this is a compensation for the presumed lack of barista skills amongst home users.

How are you measuring your pressure? Most people measure with a portafilter mounted gauge, which is a closed system & can indicate a pressure 1 bar higher than during an actual shot. I measure mine with water leaving the basket at same rate as it does during a consumed shot. So someone else's 9 bar may be the same as my 8 bar, depending on how it was measured. For comparison purposes only, you might want to read mine as 8.25 - 9 bar.

Higher pressures produce harsher shots & I don't like the taste, so I am definitely on the lower end of the scale. Additionally, I pull shots about 0.5 bar lower on my Cimbali than I might on another machine. And of course, my measurement methodology also gives a lower number than a static measurement.

IMO & within a limited range, there is an inverse relationship between brew temperature & pressure. My machine is very temperature stable, so much so that it is resistant to attempts to lower it's stable temperature. So it was easier to me (with good results) to pull shots about 0.5 bar lower than I normally would on another machine, rather than push my machine to run another degree cooler for the blends that I favour.

Relation between the temperature and pressure
Brew Pressure and Salvatore
The Elusive Clarity in the Cup

Google
Secret Search button

alsterling
alsterling

Posted Thu Jun 1, 2006, 9:01am

Interesting point about how the brew pressure is measured. I use my extra PF. I have a liquid filled 0-160 psi gage, accurate to 2% midrange, and remove the basket from the PF. I clamp the PF in place, cycle the brew water several times to bleed air, etc., and then look to adjust. Now, I don't know how you restrict or control the flow rate? System pressure available, and system pressure during the brew cycle may be different, as there's a path to normal atmosphere.......if that's what you're doing.

My understanding is that measurements are made in a closed system with no flow, ergo, measures indicating max brew pressure available. I don't know how else to do it, and would like to have more details on how you exactly measure pressure during the flow? If the gage you have is plumbed into the system at the brew group, then that's different. If you have an add-on measureing device, then I'm curious.

Best, Al in SoCal

Member No.12047 - SCAA
itinerant

Posted Thu Jun 1, 2006, 9:19am

alsterling Said:

... My understanding is that measurements are made in a closed system with no flow, ergo, measures indicating max brew pressure available. I don't know how else to do it, and would like to have more details on how you exactly measure pressure during the flow? If the gage you have is plumbed into the system at the brew group, then that's different. If you have an add-on measureing device, then I'm curious.

Posted June 1, 2006 link

Ah, the wonders of needle valves. Have a look at Bobroseman's gauge in this HB thread.

Google
Secret Search button

showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Question - What...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.420964002609)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+