Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Solis 70 Portafilter problem???
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Solis 70...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
spike72afa

Expertise: Beginner

Posted Mon Apr 17, 2006, 9:10am
Subject: Solis 70 Portafilter problem???

I have a 3 year old Solis 70 crema which has given me fairly good service during that time. It has two issues which suggest to me that it is approaching the time to retire the machine. I would like to get a few more months out of it if possible, so I am looking for advice on how to mitigate the problems.

1. The steam thermostat is not allowing the machine to get a good head of steam. The light goes on far too early and cuts off the heat production. I have gotten around this by either pumping fresh water into the boiler which sometimes turns the light off or partially closing the knob once I have started steaming my milk, which also turns off the light and clicks on the heater. Neither is acceptable, and it takes about 5 extra minutes to get enough steam to foam my milk?  Ideas?

2. My portafilter assembly does not have a good seal with the brew head. When I click the pump switch, I first hear the pump moving water through the system. I then makes a loud steaming noise when I can look around and see coffee spraying from the machine side of the portafilter. After a few seconds this resolves and the rest of the shot comes through, along with some dripping around the outside of the portafilter. I have cleaned all the pieces, and the portafilter is locking in place as tight as I can get it. But I can't get it tight enough to prevent the leak.

Again, I am looking for advice for something I can do on my own ( I have taken it apart in the past to do some repairs, so this is not unthinkable.) I just don't thing that it is worth a $200 service bill which I would probably put towards a Silvia.

Thanks in advance or any help.
 View Profile Link to this post
GarryG

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini II
Grinder: La Cimbali Jr.,Breville
Drip: Chemex, Krups, Bodum...
Posted Sat Apr 22, 2006, 9:02pm
Subject: Re: Solis 70 Portafilter problem???

I've never had problem #1, but when I've had #2, it's been caused by stray coffee grounds in the slots  where the portafilter seals -- usually  because I tried to take off the portafilter too soon after a shot (bad idea with the SL-70).  What has worked for me is slow and patient cleaning of the area where the portafilter locks in, using moistened, folded paper towels.  I just keep swabbing until nothing shows up on the swabs.  

If that doesn't work you may have seal damage, and that may require professional intervention.
Everman
Everman

Espresso: Valentina Levetta, Elektra...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Sat Apr 22, 2006, 10:28pm

You may just need to replace the grouphead gasket, after 3 years it's highly likely that this may happen.  It should only cost a few dollars.

As for the steam, probably a thermostat issue. I'd try replacing the steam thermostat which also should be rather inexpensive.
spike72afa

Expertise: Beginner

Posted Mon Apr 24, 2006, 8:53am

Any idea of where I can get a grouphead gasket? I live in San Antonio, and there are no real espresso repair shops around. TIA
Everman
Everman

Espresso: Valentina Levetta, Elektra...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Mon Apr 24, 2006, 11:36am

spike72afa Said:

Any idea of where I can get a grouphead gasket? I live in San Antonio, and there are no real espresso repair shops around. TIA

Posted April 24, 2006 link

1st-line.com sells the SL-70, I would try calling them about the gasket.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Solis 70...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.380487918854)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+