Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
pressurized portafilter
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > pressurized...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
ylin

Expertise: Beginner

Posted Mon Oct 13, 2003, 7:15am
Subject: Re: pressurized portafilter: coffee amount too small

ljguitar Said:

Hi Yu-ju
Your pull is not too slow...should be a total of around 25 - 30 seconds. One or one and a half ounces in this time is a good shot for only 14gm of grounds.
I get 1.5 - 2 ounces with 20 grams.

By the way...how is the espresso tasting?

Posted October 8, 2003 link

Hi Larry,
I think my pull is 1 ounce in 20 seconds with 17g of grounds (I put 1/2 table spoon more), and it tastes very good to me. The stream does diminish around 20 seconds. If I apply slightly smaller tamping force, it turns out the stream can flow for > 25 seconds w/ ~2 oz espresso, but it tastes obviously weaker.
I just want to make ~ 2 oz coffee with the same taste, but it seems hard- I also cannot do the second pulling right after the first one, since the pressurized PF cannot be unlocked until >10 minutes later! Not sure what to do...

Yu-ju
 View Profile Link to this post
ljguitar
ljguitar
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Pulsar
Grinder: Mazzer SuperJolly • Baratza
Drip: Bunn • AeroPress
Roaster: Behmor•Variacs
Posted Mon Oct 13, 2003, 8:19am

ylin Said:

I just want to make ~ 2 oz coffee with the same taste, but it seems hard- I also cannot do the second pulling right after the first one, since the pressurized PF cannot be unlocked until >10 minutes later! Not sure what to do...

Posted October 13, 2003 link

Not for the faint of heart or sane people...
Our Briel First Class and our La Pavoni both hold pressure after the shot for a while, and I became skilled at just barely loosening the PF till the pressure bled off gently...like barely opening a soda can tab.

This is potentially dangerous since you must be careful to not loosen it too much and sneeze grounds all over you, the counter and walls, sinks and everything else in range of the machine.

For me, this is a two handed operation....holding onto the upper corner of the machine and loosening the PF gently till the hissing begins while retaining enough pressure to re-tighten it if necessary.
  • Best to practice this without grounds and no pressure a time or two so you know which way the PF twists off and which corner to hold while loosening the PF.
  • This is something I approached in stages...at first I loosened and tightened the PF several times after theh shot till the pressure was gone. Finally I got the feel for it and just bled it in one step as part of my ritual.

Really the only time I sneezed before three way valves was when I absent mindedly removed the PF without thinking about what I was doing...this is potentially embarrassing at friend's homes where the predominant color of everything in the kitchen is WHITE. Only took 10 minutes to build the cappuccinos and took 35 minutes to clean the kitchen...

L  a  r  r  Y          J

<°)))><
ylin

Posted Fri Oct 17, 2003, 7:09am

ljguitar Said:

Not for the faint of heart or sane people...
Our Briel First Class and our La Pavoni both hold pressure after the shot for a while, and I became skilled at just barely loosening the PF till the pressure bled off gently...like barely opening a soda can tab.

This is potentially dangerous since you must be careful to not loosen it too much and sneeze grounds all over you, the counter and walls, sinks and everything else in range of the machine.

Posted October 13, 2003 link

Hi Larry,
Thanks for your share of experience, but...I don't have the gut to try that! :P Especially the machine is in my office, not my home...

So I found with my Briel machine, I couldn't pull the coffee with both good taste and enought capacity. I have to live with ~1oz from 17-20g ground with good taste. So, I hope I can make a second shot, which is not possible with the pressurized PF--I have wait for > 10 minutes to be able to unlock the PF. How about your machine, how long did you have to wait? I called Briel people, they say it should take ~ 15s, and THERE IS NOTHING I CAN DO WITH MY MACHINE if I have to wait for that long--I am dissapointed with their attitude, they know so little but do not even try to help. Then, another choice is to get a non-pressurized one, but Briel say they don't have it for my Lido model.

I am not sure I can find the non-pressurized basket somewhere else, and whether I can use the same filter holder since it might be for pressurized basket only--how do I figure out?

Thanks a lot,

Yu-ju
ylin

Posted Fri Oct 17, 2003, 7:30am
Subject: Re: pressurized portafilter

Hi Larry,
Sorry that I have further questions, actually about cleaning. I found the pull didn't distribute uniformly into two spouts and wonder whether there is a clog. The way I've been cleaning the basket and filter holder is to soak them in soapy water (but once a week). Is there a better way of cleaning suggested?
Thanks,

Yu-ju
HB

Posted Fri Oct 17, 2003, 7:34am

ylin Said:

So, I hope I can make a second shot, which is not possible with the pressurized PF--I have wait for > 10 minutes to be able to unlock the PF.

Posted October 17, 2003 link

Why not open the steam valve to relieve the pressure?  That's what I used to do with my Braun -- let 'er rip wide open for 10-15 seconds.  The kids thought it was amusing, too ("It's time for Apollo 11 liftoff, stand back everyone!").  :-)

-- Dan

www.home-barista.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ylin

Posted Fri Oct 17, 2003, 8:14am

dan_kehn Said:

Why not open the steam valve to relieve the pressure?  That's what I used to do with my Braun -- let 'er rip wide open for 10-15 seconds.  The kids thought it was amusing, too ("It's time for Apollo 11 liftoff, stand back everyone!").  :-)

-- Dan

Hi Dan,
I tried this before, as suggested by another user who has Starbucks Barista. But it didn't work for me, the PF still couldn't be unlocked...(mine is Briel Lido) Actually in the manual it is said before you turn on the steam, you should remove the filter holder. So, I don't know maybe it just doesn't work this way for this machine?
Thanks,
Yu-ju
ljguitar
ljguitar

Posted Fri Oct 17, 2003, 8:35am

ylin Said:

Hi Larry,
Sorry that I have further questions, actually about cleaning. I found the pull didn't distribute uniformly into two spouts and wonder whether there is a clog. The way I've been cleaning the basket and filter holder is to soak them in soapy water (but once a week). Is there a better way of cleaning suggested?

Hi Yu-ju...I doubt your PF spout is clogged. Many things contribute to uneven pours and certainly clogs would be one.
Probable causes:
Machine not level
PF manufactured slightly out of round

Doesn't really matter as all the coffee drops into the spouts from the same place, and a double spout just divides them up. I don't even have double spouts on my PFassemblies...took em off.

Cleaning:
Soak them in some Espresso machine cleaner or some Oxyclean for 30 minutes. Scrub them with those thin green scratchy pads and clean them up really well.

Hope this helps...

L  a  r  r  Y          J

<°)))><
ylin

Posted Fri Oct 17, 2003, 8:54am

ljguitar Said:

Cleaning:
Soak them in some Espresso machine cleaner or some Oxyclean for 30 minutes. Scrub them with those thin green scratchy pads and clean them up really well.

Hi Larry,
How often should I do this kind of cleaning on the basket and filter holder, after each use? BTW what are the "thin green scratchy pads"?

I had other questions about your Briel machine when you still used pressurized PF: how long did you have to wait to be able to unlock it (not with your trick of releasing pressure :P)? Mine takes > 10 minutes and that really troubles me. On the manual, it is said wait for 30 seconds then the PF can be slowly removed, but it doesn't work for me.

Further..I couldn't find non-pressurized basket for my machine from either Briel, whole latte love, or Chris coffee. Would you have other suggestions? Please also suggest a online company with good reputation where I can buy espresso accessories and feel comfortable.

Thanks a lot!
Yu-ju
ljguitar
ljguitar

Posted Fri Oct 17, 2003, 9:48am

ylin Said:

Hi Larry,
How often should I do this kind of cleaning on the basket and filter holder, after each use? BTW what are the "thin green scratchy pads"?

I had other questions about your Briel machine when you still used pressurized PF: how long did you have to wait to be able to unlock it (not with your trick of releasing pressure :P)? Mine takes > 10 minutes and that really troubles me. On the manual, it is said wait for 30 seconds then the PF can be slowly removed, but it doesn't work for me.

Further..I couldn't find non-pressurized basket for my machine from either Briel, whole latte love, or Chris coffee. Would you have other suggestions? Please also suggest a online company with good reputation where I can buy espresso accessories and feel comfortable.

Hi Yu-ju
In reverse order...don't know where I bought the baskets, just googled for a business that sells espresso portafilter baskets and called some till I found one who knew what I needed. I didn't have a PF handle with any kind of limits, it was a pressurized basket.

I don't (didn't) wait to remove the PF. After I pulled the first shot and before I steamed the milk (for capps or lattes). I just loosend it very carefully and bled the pressure off, removed and reloaded it.

Scotch makes a thin scratchy pad for scrubbing dishes, counter tops etc. About 1/8 in thick and 3.5 X 5 inch sheets. I clean mine about every two weeks of normal use. More often if we do some heavy pulling of shots.

L  a  r  r  Y          J

<°)))><
krzysw

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Jun 9, 2004, 3:53pm

It's strange to me that you cannot remove the filter holder immediately after pulling a shot. It seems mine can handle removal without explosion after about 10seconds or less... I experience slight spillage of water (apparently normal according to instructions) if I wait any less than 10.

My suggestion is to allow the machine to run a bit longer than usual... perhaps that will allow excess pressure alleviation.  If that fails, try returning the machine.

Secondly, someone mentioned that their briel lido does not split coffee evenly when using the double drip filter holder with two cups. I had this same problem and was extremely frustrated. Fortunately, I found that running the machine for about 15-20 seconds with the filter holder but without the actual filter completely solves this problem. This is good practice in general as it will cleanse the machine of any coffee grains that have been sucked into the machine or are stuck in the channels for coffee in the filter holder. In addition, it will heat up the filter holder and channels, as well as the rest of the machine and your coffee cups. Apparently it is good to heat them up first.

Using the above procedure has produced excellent cups of espresso. I was seriously considering a Rancillio Silvia: I decided on the cheap Briel Lido ($100) and I am very happy about saving the difference that I have difficulty distinguishing in the espresso.

Regards,
Krzys
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > pressurized...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.469856977463)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+